D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 10

Jimbo

Jimmy Carter

Postby Jimbo » 13 May 2017, 06:06

He liked the Allman Brothers. He favored pot decriminalization. He was a good Christian. He was kind, polite and pushed like hell for human rights all over the world. Camp David accords!

Ford preceded Carter and there was something where New York City went broke and apparently Ford refused to bail out the city. NYC was a mess back in those days and among many other problems there were huge potholes in the roads. Carter came into office and I was on a school bus headed into the city on FDR Drive, a four lane highway just rutted with holes, and amazingly the ride was smooth. I actually thanked Jimmy Carter for that.

That many Israelis and Israel supporters call him an anti-Semite for having compassion for Palestinians, for having compassion??? Sad.
I love you.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Jimmy Carter

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 May 2017, 06:25

His "nuclear power is safe" speech after Three Mile Island is, I think, pretty decent evidence for the difference between idealism and realism.

I think he was an essentially decent man. But saints don't get elected to anything.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Classic Rock Sneelock

Postby Classic Rock Sneelock » 13 May 2017, 07:12

As a candidate, he talked about Welfare like a Republican.
He walked down Pennsylvania Avenue & for a moment it looked like all that Watergate type bullshit would go extinct. It didn't. He said he was a Christian and said he had lust in his heart.
He armed Suharto to the TEETH.
His "malaise" speech was one of the darndest things I ever heard.
He gave amnesty to draft dodgers

everything he did on the international stage seemed to blow up in his face.
His domestic policies and programs seem WAY ahead of their times now but they seemed prudent & attainable then.
C plus.
I hate every ape I see from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z.

fueryIre

Postby fueryIre » 13 May 2017, 13:13

Terribly ineffectual as Prez.

Wonderfully presidential once out of office.

Very probably the best ex-President the UK has ever had (fingers crossed Obama will give him a run for his money).

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 13 May 2017, 14:40

fueryIre wrote:Very probably the best ex-President the UK has ever had

Freudian?

I know hardly anything about the man but would it be fair to say his Presidency was an anomaly similar to Trumps? They're very different people but it seems like Carter becoming President was purely a reaction to the nations Nixon-trauma rather than a conscious decision to back the man Jimmy Carter. Much-like your current Mr "I could walk down 5th avenue and shoot someone" President

fueryIre

Postby fueryIre » 13 May 2017, 14:55

Tactful Cactus wrote:
fueryIre wrote:Very probably the best ex-President the UK has ever had

Freudian?

I know hardly anything about the man but would it be fair to say his Presidency was an anomaly similar to Trumps? They're very different people but it seems like Carter becoming President was purely a reaction to the nations Nixon-trauma rather than a conscious decision to back the man Jimmy Carter. Much-like your current Mr "I could walk down 5th avenue and shoot someone" President

Yes, just noticed that!

Classic Rock Sneelock

Postby Classic Rock Sneelock » 15 May 2017, 17:15

I don't remotely agree. Carter was a Governor. He gave press conferences. sure, he was a peanut farmer but he had a record of service if nothing else. TRUMP was mainly a TV star who went around being told he should run for president until he did. sure, he both were candidates of their moments but, in a way, they all are.
I hate every ape I see from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 15 May 2017, 17:24

He was good in the Simpsons.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 May 2017, 21:22

toomanyhatz wrote:I think he was an essentially decent man. But saints don't get elected to anything.

Leo Durocher, right?
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 16 May 2017, 11:04

sneelock wrote:both were candidates of their moments but, in a way, they all are.

Yep, I hear you.

Return to “Nextdoorland”