NHS hacked

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Re: NHS hacked

Postby The Prof » 13 May 2017, 12:53

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Or maybe Corbyns behind all this?

I'm sure Laura Kunesberg had already recorded a report suggesting exactly that.

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 13 May 2017, 13:08

Jimbo wrote:
K wrote:
If it's a Mac system it's bullshit. Turn off turn on and the message is gone.

Sounds as if you've been watching too much TV.

It's ultimately only in high-concept, production value shows like Spooks and Critical where government and NHS officials sit around with Macs on their desks or in their suitcases.

Whatever the case, hacking and disabling a hospital system is just morally repugnant.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 May 2017, 16:37

It's not Russia who's doing the hacking, my friends. It's from the USof A's own National Security Agency.

WanaCrypt0r 2.0 is most likely spreading on so many computers by using an exploit the Equation Group, which is a group that is widely suspected of being tied to the NSA, used for its dirty business. A hacker group called ShadowBrokers has stolen Equation Group’s hacking tools and has publicly released them. As confirmed by security researcher, Kafeine, the exploit, known as ETERNALBLUE or MS17-010, was probably used by the cybercriminals behind WanaCrypt0r and is a Windows SMB (Server Message Block, a network file sharing protocol) vulnerability.
https://blog.avast.com/ransomware-that- ... -far-today

It looks like the security agency wasn't able to secure their cyber weapons.
I love you.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 13 May 2017, 16:50

Jimbo wrote:It's not Russia who's doing the hacking, my friends. It's from the USof A's own National Security Agency.

That's been known for about four weeks now, check the news archives

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 May 2017, 20:36

Tactful Cactus wrote:The problem with banks is thinking that if they're on an old OS they have a reliable and steady system which is tried and tested and safe from attack.

Large financial institutions have an atrocious attitude to security. At work we have customers who still use Internet Explorer 7 (possibly even 6), and we have a server isolated and set aside for one specific banking behemoth, so that they can use the completely compromised TLS 1.0 protocol to communicate with us. Then had the cheek to run an audit against us, and accuse us of using unsafe communication protocols because of this.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 14 May 2017, 04:35

Banks have actually broadcast to the public that they are stockpiling bitcoin in preparation for cyber attacks. How fucking stupid is that?!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 14 May 2017, 08:11

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Prof wrote:Blimey! It's what happens in films.

Check out this documentary about cyber-warfare if you really want a scare!

Watched this on BBC when there was a thread about it a few months back. Genuinely chilling stuff.

Be interesting to find out whether last week's virus (if only if would stay last week'v virus!) has been somehow extrapolated from the one the NSA created and set loose on the Iranian nuclear power plants

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 14 May 2017, 12:59

Darkness_Fish wrote:Large financial institutions have an atrocious attitude to security. At work we have customers who still use Internet Explorer 7 (possibly even 6), and we have a server isolated and set aside for one specific banking behemoth, so that they can use the completely compromised TLS 1.0 protocol to communicate with us. Then had the cheek to run an audit against us, and accuse us of using unsafe communication protocols because of this.

Yeah, I've been there :( In my experience the financial sector rationalises the whole situation as comparing one extortionist against the other. In other words you hope the ransomware guys don't get you and if they do, pay up. Or pay Microsoft et al. for the never ending list of upgrades and patches to stave off the ransomware for another year. Im simplifying, but to non-techies its all about risk exposure and sometimes option A is better than option B.

I know lots of cybersecurity guys in the industry that will be delighted this weekend because a) it didn't happen to them and b) their proposals have top priority on Monday morning. If they're smart they'll be ready with a list of corrective actions and budget and they can stop the hard sells and get working.

Return to “Nextdoorland”