Lib Dem
9%

Total votes: 33

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby copehead » 10 May 2017, 23:10

Toby wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:The same can be said for low voter turnout as well, which is why the right here constantly attempts (and often prevails) at suppressing voting rights, disenfranchising millions.

Do you think the remain campaign would have won if more people voted or less? Impossible to say perhaps - and I'm not advocating for mandatory voting - but I'll always be in favor of more people choosing to vote. Though it would certainly help if they made an attempt at properly informing themselves beforehand.

I'm not saying people can't vote. I guess in America there are significant issues with that, but here in the UK we don't have that problem.

It is obvious to anyone looking at it that the Tories have been slowly but surely copying Republican voter disenfranchising techniques for years now, changing how to register to vote being the latest, this along with the gerrymandering of constituency boundaries to eliminate a perceived Labour advantage that hasn't existed in over a decade are the two most egregious tools they use to minimise the opposition vote.

Anyone who supports the Tories is either fundamentally comfortable with this anti-democracy where you try and suppress the vote or too stupid to notice it is happening.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 11 May 2017, 17:54

Toby wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Yep, agree- voting should be as compulsory as vaccination.

Ridiculous. The whole point of "freedom" as espoused by western liberal democracies is that we should not be shackled to participating in a political system if we do not want to.

No, that cannot be the whole point of freedom as espoused by most liberal democracies unless one has a hopelessly naive view of "freedom". A characteristic of liberal democracies is that the losers abide by the popular result, as defined by the constitution. I recognize that the UK does not have much in the way of a formal constitution; that countries can change their constitutions; and that constitutions are never perfect. Who knew?
But if, say, 50% of a voting register vote "none of the above" it provides a great deal more information than 50% not voting at all.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 May 2017, 13:06

Hungry Joe is boarding the train as we speak.

Expect him to rip off his head and shit down his neck shortly.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 May 2017, 13:08

K wrote:This is what you get from the natural party of government

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 35311.html
A Tory MP told a girl to "f*** off back to Scotland" when she said she'd vote for independence if a second referendum was triggered.

James Heappey's outburst came as he addressed sixth-formers at the £12,000-a-year Millfield School in Somerset.

The Conservative, who is contesting the seat of Wells, asked the children for their views as they discussed the topic of Scottish independence. When one girl said she'd vote to leave the UK, Mr Heappey, 36, replied: "Why don't you f*** off back to Scotland?"

The teenager left the meeting and complained to her father, who supports the Scottish National Party.

Mr Heappey has since sent her a written apology and insists he was joking. He told the Sunday Mirror: "I made a comment – intended only as a joke – but it was inappropriate and I am deeply sorry for any offence caused.

Yeah but Jeremy Corbyn once stood next to an Arabic man at a Billy Bragg concert.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Nextdoorland”