who are you going to vote for?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

><

Tory
16
48%
Labour
12
36%
SNP
2
6%
Lib Dem
3
9%
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby PresMuffley » 08 May 2017, 21:20

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Moleskin wrote:
You should turn up but spoil your ballot.


I think he should vote Labour - if nothing else it adds to the overall countrywide percentage - and fuck knows they need all the help they can get!

I am tempted this time, especially since the policies that are emerging are generally good ones (and easy to promise when you know you're not going to win), and my local MP, Lisa Nandy, appears to be doing a reasonable job. But it's a matter of principle, really. The voting system stinks, and I won't be a part of it.


I respect your reasoning as it is sound and sincere, but despite how limited our democracies (UK / US) have become, I still feel you should vote. Universal suffrage is one of the few good things oridinary people have fought and died for. You can look at it as endorsing a corrupt system or whatever, but that is a luxury. My vote is consistently worthless, but I always feel a bit better after casting it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
K
Posts: 6054
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby K » 08 May 2017, 21:33

Toby wrote:
K wrote:Anyway, apart from Toby and Yomp, who are the BCB tories?


I've not even voted yet!

Blimey! So we're being overrun!!
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14638
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Belle Lettre » 09 May 2017, 06:41

I knew it.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective
Posts: 12543
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: standing around, exchanging tales and mischief...

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 09 May 2017, 07:24

Snakes everywhere.
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes


Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury


Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.


User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby yomptepi » 09 May 2017, 17:16

* rubs hands *
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
northernsky
Posts: 2177
Joined: 08 Aug 2005, 10:18
Location: East of Sweden

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby northernsky » 09 May 2017, 17:40

Toby wrote:People shouldn't have to vote if they don't want to. It's like going to a shop that has nothing you want, yet you are compelled to buy something anyway.


I disagree, as it happens - but there would always have to be a "none of the above" option.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11616
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Geezee » 09 May 2017, 17:58

northernsky wrote:
Toby wrote:People shouldn't have to vote if they don't want to. It's like going to a shop that has nothing you want, yet you are compelled to buy something anyway.


I disagree, as it happens - but there would always have to be a "none of the above" option.


Yep, agree- voting should be as compulsory as vaccination.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22100
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Deebank » 09 May 2017, 18:28

yomptepi wrote:* rubs hands *



I thought you liked little furry creatures Yomp.
Are butchered foxes a price worth paying for whatever it is she's offering you?
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
fueryIre
Posts: 8498
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby fueryIre » 09 May 2017, 18:30

Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:* rubs hands *



I thought you liked little furry creatures Yomp.
Are butchered foxes a price worth paying for whatever it is she's offering you?


Butchered foxes today, Bambi's poor, defenceless, doe-eyed mother tomorrow.
Image

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21509
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Toby » 09 May 2017, 19:42

Geezee wrote:
Yep, agree- voting should be as compulsory as vaccination.


Ridiculous. The whole point of "freedom" as espoused by western liberal democracies is that we should not be shackled to participating in a political system if we do not want to. If we don't vote we merely lose the chance to provide our say in the political makeup of the country.

I understand the perspective; that people died for the right to vote. I also think that making people vote and very high levels of voter participation can also produce results that people don't want. You only have to see the result of the Referendum as an example of this; an unprecedented turnout and look what happened.

User avatar
K
Posts: 6054
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby K » 09 May 2017, 19:46

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11616
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Geezee » 09 May 2017, 20:26

Toby wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Yep, agree- voting should be as compulsory as vaccination.


Ridiculous. The whole point of "freedom" as espoused by western liberal democracies is that we should not be shackled to participating in a political system if we do not want to. If we don't vote we merely lose the chance to provide our say in the political makeup of the country.

I understand the perspective; that people died for the right to vote. I also think that making people vote and very high levels of voter participation can also produce results that people don't want. You only have to see the result of the Referendum as an example of this; an unprecedented turnout and look what happened.


Has nothing to do with the results, and there is nothing in western liberal democracies that in any way determines whether we need to be "shackled" to vote or not. There are plenty of western liberal democracies where voting is compulsory. It's like anything that is compulsory (education, taxes, social security registration etc) - it is only about the extent to which you believe you belong to a society, and what responsibilities you have as part of a society. To me, while paralleling voting and immunisation was impromptu, the more i think about it the more i think it is accurate - not only is about protecting your own interests, but it is also about protecting the interests of everyone around you from infectious diseases.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
K
Posts: 6054
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby K » 09 May 2017, 20:33

Image
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

User avatar
The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective
Posts: 12543
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: standing around, exchanging tales and mischief...

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 09 May 2017, 20:39

Oh super!
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes


Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury


Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.


User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9345
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Samoan » 09 May 2017, 20:51

Geezee wrote: To me, while paralleling voting and immunisation was impromptu, the more i think about it the more i think it is accurate - not only is about protecting your own interests, but it is also about protecting the interests of everyone around you from infectious diseases.

I disagree. I don't see any correlation between epidemiology and pitching up to a voting booth and marking a ballot paper. The former has the potential to be individually life, or lifes saving, the latter doesn't amount to a hill of beans as one person's vote is statistically insignificant.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby yomptepi » 09 May 2017, 21:16

Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:* rubs hands *



I thought you liked little furry creatures Yomp.
Are butchered foxes a price worth paying for whatever it is she's offering you?


Indeed. I cannot understand the fascination with hounding animals. What an odd time to put hunting back on the table. Only about half a percent of voters would vote for the return of hunting, so why chance losing votes?

And Mrs May has very little to offer me. I dislike her education policies. I dislike her infrastructure policies, and I dislike her aggressive stance on Europe. I don't think she has a strong team around her either. Of course next to Corbyn's shambling illiterates, they look like gods...
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44765
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby The Prof » 09 May 2017, 21:38

yomptepi wrote:Indeed. I cannot understand the fascination with hounding animals. What an odd time to put hunting back on the table. Only about half a percent of voters would vote for the return of hunting, so why chance losing votes?.


It looked like a rogue journalist went off grid and asked a question that wasn't on the specially prepared list of questions to ask.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby PresMuffley » 09 May 2017, 23:45

Toby wrote:I also think that making people vote and very high levels of voter participation can also produce results that people don't want.


The same can be said for low voter turnout as well, which is why the right here constantly attempts (and often prevails) at suppressing voting rights, disenfranchising millions.

Do you think the remain campaign would have won if more people voted or less? Impossible to say perhaps - and I'm not advocating for mandatory voting - but I'll always be in favor of more people choosing to vote. Though it would certainly help if they made an attempt at properly informing themselves beforehand.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11616
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Geezee » 10 May 2017, 10:46

Samoan wrote:
Geezee wrote: To me, while paralleling voting and immunisation was impromptu, the more i think about it the more i think it is accurate - not only is about protecting your own interests, but it is also about protecting the interests of everyone around you from infectious diseases.

I disagree. I don't see any correlation between epidemiology and pitching up to a voting booth and marking a ballot paper. The former has the potential to be individually life, or lifes saving, the latter doesn't amount to a hill of beans as one person's vote is statistically insignificant.


A vote is indeed statistically insignificant, in the same way that it is still highly unlikely that an individual who is non-immunised will have an impact. But ultimately if you are voting for a healthcare-destroying party like the Tories or Republicans, you are killing people just as surely as spreading a disease.

Yes, maybe a far-fetched parallel (although of course most country recommend immunisation but don't make it compulsory), but either way for sure it seems entirely obvious to me that voting must be compulsory.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21509
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: who are you going to vote for?

Postby Toby » 10 May 2017, 11:20

PresMuffley wrote:The same can be said for low voter turnout as well, which is why the right here constantly attempts (and often prevails) at suppressing voting rights, disenfranchising millions.

Do you think the remain campaign would have won if more people voted or less? Impossible to say perhaps - and I'm not advocating for mandatory voting - but I'll always be in favor of more people choosing to vote. Though it would certainly help if they made an attempt at properly informing themselves beforehand.


I'm not saying people can't vote. I guess in America there are significant issues with that, but here in the UK we don't have that problem.

I do think the binary aspect of the referendum made a huge difference - usually people who don't vote will go "well, there's no-one to vote for". Here, they felt like they had a choice.

Perhaps we should be taking a leaf out of Switzerland's book, where I believe they have referendums on lots of topics all the time. But then it's a small country etc etc.


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests