when people say too much

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board

when people say too much

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 06 May 2017, 13:02

People always give long speeches, don't they? Longer than anyone wants, normally. Why is this?

Another time is when someone's explaining why something went wrong. And the listener doesn't want to hear, they're just glad that the problem has been solved, let's move on. But the person talking REALLY wants them to know why, so they're off the hook.
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Re: when people say too much

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 06 May 2017, 19:47

Breef wrote:People always give long speeches, don't they? Longer than anyone wants, normally. Why is this?

Another time is when someone's explaining why something went wrong. And the listener doesn't want to hear, they're just glad that the problem has been solved, let's move on. But the person talking REALLY wants them to know why, so they're off the hook.

There are two people that work in the same area I'm in who talk WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH. One, Karen, just talks - she can't help it, and she's the office gossip, too, so I always hear her and her co-conspirator whispering at one another - it drives me up the wall some days. She also just has to keep talking in general - it's like if she shuts up she dies or something like that - so a simple "Good morning, Karen!" turns into a long ramble about transit and traffic and weather and health and she'll keep going even as the person is walking away...it's a bit fascinating, but I don't want to dwell on her reasons for being like that or I'll probably get depressed.

The other one, Andrew, is one of those people that have to come up with long, convoluted reasons or excuses for why such-and-such a thing happened or didn't happen. Nobody needs to know the minutiae of why your client didn't get his fucking Persian rug consigned in time for photography deadline. Just say "it's not here and I'll let you know when it is" instead of burying us both in a mountain of bullshit.

Fucking people, eh? Christ.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 May 2017, 20:18

I'm like Andrew. :oops:

My ex-fiancee said the greatest thing to me - she said 'thinking something alone is not a good enough reason to immediately say it out loud" or something like that. :lol:

I'm trying to curtail it. And of course it drives me crazy when other people do it.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 07 May 2017, 20:33

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
There are two people that work in the same area I'm in who talk WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH. One, Karen, just talks - she can't help it, and she's the office gossip, too, so I always hear her and her co-conspirator whispering at one another - it drives me up the wall some days. She also just has to keep talking in general - it's like if she shuts up she dies or something like that - so a simple "Good morning, Karen!" turns into a long ramble about transit and traffic and weather and health and she'll keep going even as the person is walking away...it's a bit fascinating, but I don't want to dwell on her reasons for being like that or I'll probably get depressed.

The other one, Andrew, is one of those people that have to come up with long, convoluted reasons or excuses for why such-and-such a thing happened or didn't happen. Nobody needs to know the minutiae of why your client didn't get his fucking Persian rug consigned in time for photography deadline. Just say "it's not here and I'll let you know when it is" instead of burying us both in a mountain of bullshit.

Fucking people, eh? Christ.

tl;dr

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 07 May 2017, 20:35

:)

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 May 2017, 20:38

An old friend once told me the importance of self-editing even just on aesthetic grounds -- I had been struggling with the question of whether I needed to say something just because I thought it, brutal honesty, etc. -- and though I sometimes do go on a ramble sometimes, it stuck with me. Thank you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 May 2017, 15:29

I work with volunteers. These cunts could talk for Scotland. A simple yes/no rarely suffices. Little is to the point. Everything requires lengthy explanation including context their partner wouldn't give a fuck about let alone me.

God I despise them
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 May 2017, 15:35

There's a lass at work who's like this. Loves a chat. Even when I'm walking away with my back turned she's droning on. You'd think she'd understand that visual cue but sadly no. I think it's some kind of mental deficiency. It's made worse because she has physical problems which means she walks really slowly so if you get stuck with her in the corridor outside the office you usually end up walking back with her at her pace. It makes me want to die. This happens quite a bit too because the toilet and the kitchen are at the end of the corridor so you often find yourself walking back with people. The other day I actually leaped behind a filing cupboard to avoid her. It's fucking ridiculous. Sometimes I'll pretend I need a shit too and hide in the disabled toilet. Fucking work, eh?
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 08 May 2017, 16:12

Goat Boy wrote:I work with volunteers. These cunts could talk for Scotland. A simple yes/no rarely suffices. Little is to the point. Everything requires lengthy explanation including context their partner wouldn't give a fuck about let alone me.

God I despise them

UGH
volunteers.
I ran a campaign staffed with those guys once.
Bless their hearts but they're useless.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 May 2017, 17:21

toomanyhatz wrote:My ex-fiancee said the greatest thing to me - she said 'thinking something alone is not a good enough reason to immediately say it out loud" or something like that. :lol:

I use to tell my wife that. But she's an extrovert. As an introvert, she didn't like it because I didn't talk about what I was thinking.

I'm a good liar. One of the reasons I'm a good liar is I don't over explain. I keep my info to a minimum and only answer questions when asked. And I keep those brief.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 14 May 2017, 21:36

For someone moaning about people saying too much you sure do start a lot of fuckin' threads.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 14 May 2017, 21:42

Fuck off you moaning cunt

;)
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 14 May 2017, 23:50

Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Did either Duck Dunn or James Jefferson change music irrevocably?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 16 May 2017, 22:14

I almost let the following sentence come out of my mouth last weekend - "Oh hi, nice to see you again, I can't remember the last time I had a long conversation about the complete history of your band!"
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Return to “Nextdoorland”