May still desperately clinging on to power

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: May still desperately clinging on to power

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Dec 2018, 10:28

By the way - I sincerely hope I never hear any fucker trumpet the "Natural Party Of Government" line on here again.

The Conservative Party has been shown to be a total shower of utter incompetent idiots that shouldn't be allowed to run a tombola, let alone the country, for quite some time.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Dec 2018, 10:34

Labour would be in just the same problem Pete if they were in power.

You'd have a Leaver PM with Remain MPs and a mix of remain and leave voters.

Don't kid yourself that they would be able to do any better. I can't see how Corbyn would be able to get any sort of a better deal than May would.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Dec 2018, 10:36

I don't know if you've noticed Toby, but the Conservatives are in power... they called the referendum, they've negotiated it for two years.. and now they decide they want to remove the Prime Minister.

Quit talking about Labour and explain how your "Natural Party Of Government" is doing right now.
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 12 Dec 2018, 10:45

Diamond Dog wrote:I sincerely hope I never hear any fucker trumpet the "Natural Party Of Government" line on here again.

8 minutes later....

Diamond Dog wrote: "Natural Party Of Government"

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Dec 2018, 10:51

There was a general election in 2017.

If Labour had won that election, with an alliance of other parties, they would be in precisely the same position.

You are deluded if you think otherwise.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Dec 2018, 10:53

It is a fucking shambles, but I feel that the extraordinary circumstances are a huge part of this.

We've been round in circles on this tbh.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 12 Dec 2018, 10:55

I think she'll survive this, if only because a majority of Tory MPs have no appetite for a leadership contest on top of all the other shit going on right now.

May is a liability - but I think any of the other 'names' would be EVEN WORSE!
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

caramba

Postby caramba » 12 Dec 2018, 10:56

Given that the UK's starting point was effectively we want the best benefits of EU membership with none of the costs/hassles, it's hardly surprising that the EU was never going to make life easy for us.

Why would they when doing so would open the path for other countries to follow us out the door?

Nor is the EU going to start renegotiating should there be a general election which Corbyn wins (still a big, big even given the appalling bollix the Tories have made of Brexit, the economy and the country as a whole).

While I've always been a labour voter and a strong remainer, the idea that a man who's too busy discussing university common room politics to quell accusations of anti-semitsm is going to somehow browbeat the sharks at the EU to get the UK a better deal is laughable.

Meanwhile, the crashing out of the EU with no deal come the end of next March scenario is looking as though it's just returned from the dead

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Dec 2018, 11:06

Toby wrote:It is a fucking shambles, but I feel that the extraordinary circumstances are a huge part of this.

The 'extraordinary circumstances' are all the result of tory in-fighting.

If Ed Milliband (and his "coalition of chaos' :lol:) had won, none of this would have happened. Yomp keeps on gibbering about the referendum being Labour policy, however...

12 March 2014: Ed Miliband writes an article for the Financial Times in which he says that Labour will not hold a referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union unless there are proposals to transfer further powers from London to Brussels.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Dec 2018, 11:47

Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:It is a fucking shambles, but I feel that the extraordinary circumstances are a huge part of this.

If Ed Milliband (and his "coalition of chaos' :lol:) had won, none of this would have happened. Yomp keeps on gibbering about the referendum being Labour policy, however...

12 March 2014: Ed Miliband writes an article for the Financial Times in which he says that Labour will not hold a referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union unless there are proposals to transfer further powers from London to Brussels.

MIC DROP.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 Dec 2018, 12:10

Deebank wrote:

But it was in their manifesto and was policy. But then it was lie which had been perpetuated throughout the Blair and Brown years. Why would brain dead Edd be any different.
You don't like me...do you?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:19

Blair promised a referendum on the EU constitution. Not membership. That referendum never happened because the Dutch and French had already vetoed the constitution.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 Dec 2018, 12:24

PENK wrote:Blair promised a referendum on the EU constitution. Not membership. That referendum never happened because the Dutch and French had already vetoed the constitution.

Yet it was in the manifesto three times?
You don't like me...do you?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:40

Such a shame the spam filter won’t let you post links to the manifestoes here, isn’t it? But I’m sure you can quote text from the manifestoes to back you up. Right?
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 12 Dec 2018, 12:42

So it was never going to be an in/out vote?

I've just read this from the Guardian in 2004 and I'm still none the wiser

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/ ... .politics6

It *seems* like it was a case of demanding more concessions but our membership was never in doubt.
Which will certainly take some wind out of Yomps sails, if I've understood it right.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:42

Now I got one through, look. Knock yourself out!

http://www.cpa.org.uk/cpa_documents/TheLabourPartyManifesto-2010.pdf
GoogaMooga wrote:

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:44

GoogaMooga wrote:

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:46

GoogaMooga wrote:

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:47

GoogaMooga wrote:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Dec 2018, 12:47

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal