May still desperately clinging on to power

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
fire and fueryIre

Re: May still desperately clinging on to power

Postby fire and fueryIre » 11 Jul 2017, 11:39

It's all very well talking about JC offering some kind of alternative to the Tories' approach to Brexit, but what kind of alternative is JC actually offering?

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 11 Jul 2017, 11:49

fueryIre wrote:It's all very well talking about JC offering some kind of alternative to the Tories' approach to Brexit, but what kind of alternative is JC actually offering?

I wouldn't know. I wish he could present one.

To be fair: I guess that no one in this drama (for it is one) has any coherent vision of what a Brexit should look like.

IMHO the sheer dimensions of the exit will only become clear after the facts.

There were supporters for it on the Dutch loony right. To me they talked about it as if it were some boys' game. Which it is not.

My take: it is a drama of historical proportions, and there will only be losers in the end.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Jul 2017, 12:10

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:To be fair: I guess that no one in this drama (for it is one) has any coherent vision of what a Brexit should look like. IMHO the sheer dimensions of the exit will only become clear after the facts.

You're wasted here, you should be a pundit on Sky News

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Jul 2017, 12:46

fueryIre wrote:It's all very well talking about JC offering some kind of alternative to the Tories' approach to Brexit, but what kind of alternative is JC actually offering?

Chaos?
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Jul 2017, 16:15

I think we can safely say he is at least offering a cogent departure, where we would at least sit down and try to talk like adults. This is far more likely to gain something tangible from Brexit than the present Govt's stated policy, which is "Give us what we want, or we'll just fuck off anyway. So there!". Not exactly conducive to a sensible solution.

By the way - I must confess I do find it endlessly entertaining why people feel the need to find out exactly what Corbyn would do if he was PM and if he was negotiating Brexit. He isn't and he's not.

Maybe what you - and everyone else- should be doing is asking May what she and her Govt's policy is because they're the party that got us here and ought to be accountable for it. We have precious little enough time as it is without wasting time finding out what Corbyn would do. Ask May. Ask the Tories. Ask Boris Johnson, who today stated that the Govt does not have a policy if Brexit cannot be agreed. How does that make you feel? Over a year into three year period and the Govt - who keep talking about walking away without a deal- are, at the same time, saying they don't have a clue what the fuck that means for the country or what the Govt are going to do in that eventuality.

Just think long and hard about that and then ask, if Corbyn had put us in the same situation, what kind of clueless cunt the press and pundits would be calling him.
I’ve been offered a position at cornerback for the Saints.If you’re reading, you have been offered a position too! Please accept the Saints’ offer because if you don’t,I’ll have to play alongside a cardboard cutout of Tracy Porter, a roomba and Cleatus.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Jul 2017, 16:25

None. Never did.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Nick

Postby Nick » 12 Jul 2017, 23:02

Corbyn maintaining his usual impeccable level of judgement in the company he keeps:

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2017/07/12/corbyn-denies-pineapple-on-pizza-allegations-during-lunch-with-genocide-denier/
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 13 Jul 2017, 07:13

Nick wrote:Corbyn maintaining his usual impeccable level of judgement in the company he keeps:

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2017/07/12/corbyn-denies-pineapple-on-pizza-allegations-during-lunch-with-genocide-denier/

Sadly for the comedy genius that wrote the piece, Corbs is pretty much the most famous vegetarian in the country, so ham & pineapple ? I think not :cry:
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 13 Jul 2017, 09:35

Steve Baker was on the Beeb earlier this morning.

A wonderful interview with Naga Munchetty.

Everything is under control. The country will only win by the exit. Hundreds of super-intelligent and knowing staffers are working on the transition, and their number just keeps growing.

Mr. Barnier will be on the losing side.

Without any hesitation, without any second of serious thought.

It was stunningly brilliant. Save for the fact that none of his utterings had any referent in the real outside world.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jul 2017, 10:02

What alternative is there?
This whole hard or soft Brexit is largely a nonsense as it implies the British government have a power they don't actually have. Europe will be calling the shots entirely on this.
The only alternative I can see is to somehow declare the result of the referendum void as the British people were not given the detailed information necessary and therefore didn't fully understand the legal complexities of Brexit. That would be so divisive though that I can't see any politician being brave enough to do it.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 13 Jul 2017, 12:33

The Modernist wrote:

What alternative is there?
This whole hard or soft Brexit is largely a nonsense as it implies the British government have a power they don't actually have. Europe will be calling the shots entirely on this.
The only alternative I can see is to somehow declare the result of the referendum void as the British people were not given the detailed information necessary and therefore didn't fully understand the legal complexities of Brexit. That would be so divisive though that I can't see any politician being brave enough to do it.

Dunno, Moddie, it wasn't me who brought the subject of JC's alternative up. As far as I can see the only 'alternative' he is offering vis a vis Brexit is that he's not Theresa May - and we all know how well TM's platform of her not being JC worked out at last month's election.

Agree that Europe has got GB over a barrel though.

Much as the Guardian keeps floating the possibility of a second referendum, can't see it happening; or anyone inside or outside parliament having sufficient clout to have last June's result overturned and a second poll held in its place.

Nick

Postby Nick » 13 Jul 2017, 14:28

Deebank wrote:
Nick wrote:Corbyn maintaining his usual impeccable level of judgement in the company he keeps:

Sadly for the comedy genius that wrote the piece, Corbs is pretty much the most famous vegetarian in the country, so ham & pineapple ? I think not :cry:

A more serious comment: https://politicsmeanspolitics.com/sarajevo-roses-8ebee1ed9572
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 13 Jul 2017, 22:41

Shame you didn't highlight some of the other pieces on that site, the articles with the following headlines were equally astute.

Racists Shocked To Learn Arabic Words Have English Translations

Statue of Thatcher on horseback trampling a miner to be placed in Orgreave

Boris Johnson hits King of Spain on forehead with spoon after mistaking him for drinks waiter

Just a phase’ movement finally represented at London Gay Pride

Theresa May breaks fingernail as her grip on power weakens

Britain First release ‘terrorist-proof’ onesie

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 14 Jul 2017, 12:47

John aka Josh wrote:

Shame you didn't highlight some of the other pieces on that site, the articles with the following headlines were equally astute.

Racists Shocked To Learn Arabic Words Have English Translations

Statue of Thatcher on horseback trampling a miner to be placed in Orgreave

Boris Johnson hits King of Spain on forehead with spoon after mistaking him for drinks waiter

Just a phase’ movement finally represented at London Gay Pride

Theresa May breaks fingernail as her grip on power weakens

Britain First release ‘terrorist-proof’ onesie

‘My dour Scots personality is actually a total fanny magnet’ claims Andy Murray

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Jul 2017, 21:17

One of my friends met Theresa May today, she just put pictures on facebook with her, she turned up to her classroom today. Presumably to tell the kids that all their funding was being pissed away on Brexit.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Jul 2017, 07:07

Philip Hammond on driving a train: "even a woman could do it".

Why is he still in office today?
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 15 Jul 2017, 08:21

PENK wrote:Philip Hammond on driving a train: "even a woman could do it".

Because his application for a train driver's job was rejected?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Jul 2017, 05:33

I have to say that rereading this thread has given me more laugh out loud moments that a Wodehouse story.

This thread is priceless and should be preserved for future generations so they can see what a load of pant wetting idiots we were.

Though cowards scoff and traitors sneer and Yomp pines for the return of David Milliband.

Just imagine if Ed Milliband had been braver, thank god Corbyn is from a generation that thinks a focus group is part of a camera.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Jul 2017, 05:46

fueryIre wrote:
PENK wrote:Philip Hammond on driving a train: "even a woman could do it".

Because his application for a train driver's job was rejected?

Probably because he never said it. As he said himself does it sound like the thing a man with two teenage daughters would say?

I think we can safely assume that most of the stuff attributed to him recently was leaked by Brexiteer loonies trying to undermine him because he is a smidgin less of a brexit loonie than they are.

All part of the jockeying for position for when the Maybot is decommissioned, Hammond has the, probably deserved, reputation of being the only grown up left in a cabinet of Morons, thieves, liars, lightweights and the clinically insane.

There is a growing campaign to get Jacob Rees Mogg elected as leader, the Conservative Party has a collective deathwish and Europe may have finally destroyed them.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 21 Jul 2017, 09:27

Copehead wrote:I have to say that rereading this thread has given me more laugh out loud moments that a Wodehouse story.

This thread is priceless and should be preserved for future generations so they can see what a load of pant wetting idiots we were.

Though cowards scoff and traitors sneer and Yomp pines for the return of David Milliband.

Just imagine if Ed Milliband had been braver, thank god Corbyn is from a generation that thinks a focus group is part of a camera.

:D

Yes, there is a lot in this discussion.