So, nuclear war...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
K

So, nuclear war...

Postby K » 17 Apr 2017, 20:43

A senior North Korean official has accused the US of turning the Korean peninsula into “the world’s biggest hotspot” and creating “a dangerous situation in which a thermonuclear war may break out at any moment”.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Charlie O.

Re: So, nuclear war...

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Apr 2017, 20:45

Well, of course he did.

K

Postby K » 17 Apr 2017, 20:48

Well, having recently read McCarthy's "The Road" I'm a little bit glum about the future. :(
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Apr 2017, 20:56

Look on the bright side. If North Korea actually has working nukes, it hasnt got many and their delivery system is at best patchy.

Add to that the fact that any attempt to use them would be suicide for Pyongyang.

Of course none of that is any guarantee it won't happen given the unstable personalities on both sides.

I think it's the height of hipocracy for a nuclear power like the US - or indeed the U.K. - to attempt to take the moral high ground.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 Apr 2017, 21:11

I think it's all show with North Korea. It's the only sort of leverage they have. My only concern is that their isolation has the potential to create a peculiar state of fanaticism that could be problematic in a conflict.

Ultimately this is all about China, not North Korea. The latter utterly relies on the former for resources and could not function without them.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Apr 2017, 22:28

What is North Korea gonna do? I mean seriously? They don't have the weapons to attack America.

It's just that twat with the silly hair waving his flaccid cock about*

*yeah, yeah, the Other one
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 17 Apr 2017, 22:35

I Bet Jimbo must be wetting himself with excitement.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 17 Apr 2017, 23:04

Wouldn't it be funny if ....

Nah, maybe not.

algroth

Postby algroth » 17 Apr 2017, 23:47

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 18 Apr 2017, 14:20

If the US decides to nuke NK I seriously doubt that it would lead to a worldwide nuclear conflict. Things would be scary for a while, for sure, but nothing's going to happen (I hope).
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 18 Apr 2017, 19:03

never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Apr 2017, 00:24

I can't stop thinking, how fucking WEIRD would it be if there was a nuclear missile headed to LA right now? If we were told, oh, the US has defenses to knock it out, would we believe it?
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 19 Apr 2017, 01:35

I think the Counterpunch article that Olivetti posted is very persuasive.
it is chock full of what I find missing in most commentary on "The Korea Situation" namely context!

sure, the leadership is getting in-bred & crazy but what the hell made them crazy? we've been sitting on their neck for how long?
Werner Herzog wrote:"There’s never been a dull day here in Los Angeles.”

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 19 Apr 2017, 01:53

bobzilla77 wrote:I can't stop thinking, how fucking WEIRD would it be if there was a nuclear missile headed to LA right now? If we were told, oh, the US has defenses to knock it out, would we believe it?

If LA gets nuked, there'd be a massive schism in The Newport-Inglewood Fault, and the resulting liquefaction would cause the entire area to literally sink straight into the ocean. Those of us who live here won't have much to worry about, since we'll just drown within minutes. It's everyone else who will have some work to do.

I got a taste of how tenuous this whole "land" thing is when I watched the Whittier quake in 1989 from a hill overlooking the city. The land was rolling out towards the ocean, in ripples that stretched out over my entire view (from Hawthorne to Irvine Mountains). In even rows too, just like waves on the beach. It only took out half a block in the Long Beach quake of 1933 - didn't sink it completely, just decimated it - but some land about half a mile from there recently fell into the ocean due to heavy rains. Whether from a nuke or natural causes, if anything happened to the two ports here, the whole country would be screwed within a few days.

Then, once the new maps are made to reflect the changes, "Hollywood" would become this mythical Atlantis kind of place, only there'd be proof that it once existed from all the tv shows and stuff. It'll be like "that place where they used to make movies before the entire industry moved to Fresno Beach" or something.

"Quite."

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Apr 2017, 09:57

sneelock wrote:I think the Counterpunch article that Olivetti posted is very persuasive.
it is chock full of what I find missing in most commentary on "The Korea Situation" namely context!

sure, the leadership is getting in-bred & crazy but what the hell made them crazy? we've been sitting on their neck for how long?

Yes, it's a polemic, but a much needed one.
One thing he failed to mention though which I think is highly pertinent is the USA's staunch support for the rogue WMD-toting illegal nuclear power, Israel. You can't have it both ways... Or perhaps you can.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Apr 2017, 11:50

But Israel isn't a totalitarian dictatorship with a nutter as its leader.
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Apr 2017, 12:06

Goat Boy wrote:But Israel isn't a totalitarian dictatorship with a nutter as its leader.

Good luck selling that line to someone in Gaza.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Apr 2017, 12:10

Oh please.

The article Conny posted sadly falls into the "America is basically responsible for everything bad in the world" line of thinking that some too often succumb to. Context is important, of course, but it's simple minded rhetoric essentially.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 19 Apr 2017, 12:42

Deebank wrote:But Israel isn't a totalitarian dictatorship with a nutter as its leader.

I love you.

Return to “Nextdoorland”