The Sun Up To Its Old Tricks re city of Liverpool.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Fonz

Re: The Sun Up To Its Old Tricks re city of Liverpool.

Postby Fonz » 16 Apr 2017, 09:50

He is a twat. That's for sure.

Calling someone a gorilla isn't racist though.

I've been called a gorilla, and I'm sure I've called other people gorillas without hesitation. I don't associate gorillas with black people.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2017, 10:37

But you're not black, are you?

I don't remember white footballers having bananas thrown at them (for instance) but maybe I was just watching the wrong games.

I'm kind of surprised everyone seems so keen to give McKenzie the benefit of the doubt - in fact, considering every morsel of evidence we have throughout his appalling career, the benefit of the doubt is the very last thing anyone should give hm.
“Before you play two notes learn how to play one note — and don’t play one note unless you’ve got a reason to play it."

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Apr 2017, 10:52

Diamond Dog wrote:But you're not black, are you?

I don't remember white footballers having bananas thrown at them (for instance) but maybe I was just watching the wrong games.

I'm kind of surprised everyone seems so keen to give McKenzie the benefit of the doubt - in fact, considering every morsel of evidence we have throughout his appalling career, the benefit of the doubt is the very last thing anyone should give hm.

I think you're missing the point.

There's more than enough shitty, insensitive content in what he published to damn him without having to try and make a racism accusation stick.
That said, if it does stick I for one won't be outraged :lol:
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Apr 2017, 11:09

What surprises me is how long it's taken both Liverpool and Everton to ban The Sun. Should've happened a long, long time ago. In fact, every football club should've done so. That column was just petty abuse hoping for publicity, and I hope all responsible are some day held to account for their constant bigotry.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Apr 2017, 11:23

Deebank wrote:

There's more than enough shitty, insensitive content in what he published to damn him without having to try and make a racism accusation stick.

Personally, as someone who sees gorillas as the crown of creation, mankind before the Fall that was the development of language and abstraction and knowledge of death, and even wrote and published a novel in which that is the central premise, I don't see this particular article as specifically racist, but rather a sad misunderstanding of the nobility and intelligence of gorillas, our own nature as anthropoid apes and a revelation of their own stupidity and stewing self-hatred.

I also understand that to those of my generation and before, 'gorilla' was generally applied to physically powerful yet dim guys of the sort that roughed people up for crims or worked as bouncers – race didn't come into it.

That said, Mackenzie - and indeed all those who have ever worked in the upper echelons of News International and any of its publications, and especially the Dirty Digger and all of his family and close associates – would certainly be of more value to the world rendered down for soap and fertilizer and novelty ashtrays, and I personally have made a point of avoiding all their products since the early 1980s. It isn't just the Sun, it's the Times, Sunday Times and Sky Sports Liverpudlians should be repudiating.
Last edited by Rayge on 16 Apr 2017, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2017, 11:24

Deebank wrote:

No I'm really not. The comments about the citizens of Liverpool are deliberately insensitive and outrageous. May that be dealt with properly too.

But the specific comment about Barkley - the racist comment- shouldn't just be swept under the carpet with "maybe he didn't know". Ignorance is no defence and if you're going to make a comment like that, the very least you should be held accountable for is professionalism. A minute amount of research would have unearthed Barkley's Nigerian grandfather. But McKenzie didn't do that because he a) knew it already and just decided to publish anyway or b) couldn't be bothered. Either way - he shouldn't be given the free pass of "benefit of the doubt".
“Before you play two notes learn how to play one note — and don’t play one note unless you’ve got a reason to play it."

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2017, 11:25

Darkness_Fish wrote:What surprises me is how long it's taken both Liverpool and Everton to ban The Sun. Should've happened a long, long time ago. In fact, every football club should've done so. That column was just petty abuse hoping for publicity, and I hope all responsible are some day held to account for their constant bigotry.

Absolutely.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Apr 2017, 11:46

But why would you research something like that? Like I said, he doesn't look mixed race so why would anybody research his family tree just in case he had a black relative before making that comment?

Maybe he did know but you can't prove there is any racist intent there and, frankly, throwing such accusations around is sometimes self defeating for the left.
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Apr 2017, 12:01

Diamond Dog wrote:
Deebank wrote:

No I'm really not. The comments about the citizens of Liverpool are deliberately insensitive and outrageous. May that be dealt with properly too.

But the specific comment about Barkley - the racist comment- shouldn't just be swept under the carpet with "maybe he didn't know". Ignorance is no defence and if you're going to make a comment like that, the very least you should be held accountable for is professionalism. A minute amount of research would have unearthed Barkley's Nigerian grandfather. But McKenzie didn't do that because he a) knew it already and just decided to publish anyway or b) couldn't be bothered. Either way - he shouldn't be given the free pass of "benefit of the doubt".

I wouldn't argue with any of that.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Apr 2017, 12:10

Goat Boy wrote:But why would you research something like that? Like I said, he doesn't look mixed race so why would anybody research his family tree just in case he had a black relative before making that comment?

Maybe he did know but you can't prove there is any racist intent there and, frankly, throwing such accusations around is sometimes self defeating for the left.

The left?
I don't think this has anything to do with 'the left'.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2017, 12:11

Nor did I.

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Apr 2017, 12:17

His aged and outmoded "opinions" (entirely forged from his formative 70s updragging and rigidly adhered to, without recourse to contemplation or interrogation of thought for 40 years), are designed for optimum "look at me" click-baiting. A reaction is what he wants, that frisson of rustling jammies. Very clever indeed.

Mind you, MacKenzie's no better.

Edit - removed mention of p*d to avoid offence.
Last edited by clive gash on 16 Apr 2017, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I'd never resort to bombs - but I'm not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Apr 2017, 12:18

Who else would try and make a racism accusation stick in this context?
Last edited by Goat Boy on 16 Apr 2017, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Apr 2017, 12:20

Yer virtue-signalling pile-on innit?
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I'd never resort to bombs - but I'm not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Apr 2017, 12:21

I imagine Facebook is on fire.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Apr 2017, 12:23

clive gash wrote:I imagine Facebook is on fire.

The anniversary of the miners strike facebook group is in meltdown over this shit

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Apr 2017, 12:27

Are you not outraged? Let us know.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Apr 2017, 12:35

clive gash wrote:Are you not outraged? Let us know.

I'm certainly outraged by your ratings for Husker Du albums

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Apr 2017, 12:37

Go and listen to Candy Apple Grey you pud.

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Apr 2017, 12:37

Sorry, an anti-pud snipe. Sorry to any puds I may have offended.

Return to “Nextdoorland”