United Airlines CEO lobbying hard for job in Trump White House

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
PresMuffley

Re: United Airlines CEO lobbying hard for job in Trump White House

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Apr 2017, 22:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
All the videos I've seen started with the cops already at the guys' seat. I don't know about you, but I would've been kinda in shock if this was happening and sitting on a plane that's probably sitting on the tarmac for 30-40 minutes would've numbed me a little to the situation happening around me.

And we're not getting a very full context. The Louisville Courier-Journal doesn't paint a very good picture of the "doctor" that was taken off. Not what the cops did was right, but the guy seemed like kind of a screwball too. The video of him returning to the plane and mumbling, "I have to go home, I have to go home," is kinda freaky.

If it were me, I probably would have voluntarily gotten up when I saw three burly cops coming my way because the outcome would definitely not be in my favor if I'd taken it that far.

What would you have done?

It's impossible to give a definitive answer to what I would have done in this situation, but in the absence of any true sense of what the people on the flight were experiencing and with the knowledge that nobody can prove otherwise I'm gonna say that I would have taken out my THOR HAMMER and said ENOUGH

Oooh! My hero *fans self*

You should have held out:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Apr 2017, 23:05

PresMuffley wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:It's impossible to give a definitive answer to what I would have done in this situation. I'm no hero, but I have never been one to take shit, so I would have probably spoken up, made some attempt to alleviate the situation, and possibly given up my seat - if the authorities hadn't bludgeoned me into submission before I had the opportunity.

This is the only thing I asked. And I asked because you sounded pretty Rambo about it.

Nah, man. I try to avoid conflict, but I do have a temper.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Apr 2017, 00:52

I don't understand anger at the non-reactive passengers at all. Getting mouthy on an airplane gets you thrown off the plane, no $800 voucher either.

The doctor's behavior is awfully strange; it seems that the guy just snapped.

United's CEO has really choked on his own vomit over this, re-affirming to the world that this incident was handled properly, in the face of public outrage. They may survive, but they're taking a hell of a hit in the short term. I've had them on my "Do not use" list for ten years, over previous shitty service, and this gives me no reason to reconsider. Lots of people in my social media world are in the same boat.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Apr 2017, 01:19

bobzilla77 wrote:Getting mouthy on an airplane gets you thrown off the plane, no $800 voucher either.

If an 85-year-old woman had spoken up, these TSA goons would have tackled her to the ground and pressed federal charges. Another viral video opportunity squandered.

"Quite."

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 12 Apr 2017, 03:33

bobzilla77 wrote:I don't understand anger at the non-reactive passengers at all. Getting mouthy on an airplane gets you thrown off the plane, no $800 voucher either.

Most of these people have probably never experienced or witnessed firsthand police brutality, so I understand their shock and inaction, but that doesn't make it right. Just think if 5, 10 or fifteen people had stood up and said fuck this nonsense. What would have happened? Are the coppers going to beat down everyone? I doubt it. Especially when the majority of passengers as far as I can tell were typical middle class whites. But that voucher is surely much more important to that segment of the populace than doing the right thing - much easier to take a video and express outrage from behind a computer screen.

Why characterize his actions in such a manner? Because he refused to mindlessly follow mindless orders?

United's CEO has really choked on his own vomit over this, re-affirming to the world that this incident was handled properly, in the face of public outrage. They may survive, but they're taking a hell of a hit in the short term. I've had them on my "Do not use" list for ten years, over previous shitty service, and this gives me no reason to reconsider. Lots of people in my social media world are in the same boat.

They're down about 600 million from what, about 22.5 billion? Chump change. With the lack of competition in the airline industry I predict this will be a short-term loss.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 12 Apr 2017, 04:06

Maybe Oscar Munoz could replace Sean Spicer as White House press secretary.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2017, 09:29

The thing with planes though is that there are a lot of rules on them. You're supposed to sit down most of the time anyway, if there's an emergency you are supposed to sit down and strap yourself in. There's conditioning there so it's not always easy for people to stand up and do something in an environment where you are never expected to do that anyway.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 12 Apr 2017, 13:15

I didn't know one incident could cause this.

Stock in United Continental Holdings dropped by more than 4% at one point with nearly $1bn (£800m) wiped off its value, but the share prices later recovered and were down just 1% when markets closed.

Wow, that CEO did fuck up.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 12 Apr 2017, 13:28

Goat Boy wrote:The thing with planes though is that there are a lot of rules on them. You're supposed to sit down most of the time anyway, if there's an emergency you are supposed to sit down and strap yourself in. There's conditioning there so it's not always easy for people to stand up and do something in an environment where you are never expected to do that anyway.

Like it or loathe it, there's also the grim spectre of terrorism.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Apr 2017, 16:44

Someone I follow on Twitter re-posted something funny today.

Pepsi: Wow, we just had the worst PR disaster of the year.

United: Here, hold my beer.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Apr 2017, 16:46

bobzilla77 wrote:I don't understand anger at the non-reactive passengers at all. Getting mouthy on an airplane gets you thrown off the plane, no $800 voucher either.

I tweeted to their account. "My grandmother worked for United for 35 years, but with the recent incident, I will no longer travel on United."

I'm sure they've gotten tons of other tweets like this. And don't think analysts aren't watching their twitter account either.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Apr 2017, 17:00

The Great Defector wrote:Would this actually stop anyone using the airline if there was no other flight, or it was a cheaper option?

Well, not if there is no other flight, obviously, but for sure I avoid United at all costs anyway, and this only serves to reinforce it - and since they are the airline that my company has a loyalty scheme with, I have to fight hard sometimes to get a different airline. And this is from Janis Ian...

So a few weeks ago I was speaking with my travel agent, booking flights for upcoming concerts, and I said "No. I will not fly United. Anything but United." We examined all the options for that particular date, and though United had the best routing and price, I said again "I will not fly United. They're always late. They're always rude. They hate guitars. They didn't learn anything from that guitar video. I won't fly them."
We booked a different set of flights.
I am feeling so good about that decision today!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Apr 2017, 17:01

As if this story isn't bad enough, my jaw dropped when I read that they were actually making room for United employees. Incredible. What on earth kind of operations is that...customers first eh?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 12 Apr 2017, 17:22

Geezee wrote:As if this story isn't bad enough, my jaw dropped when I read that they were actually making room for United employees. Incredible. What on earth kind of operations is that...customers first eh?

Well the pilot is kinda important.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 12 Apr 2017, 18:53

The Great Defector wrote:
Geezee wrote:As if this story isn't bad enough, my jaw dropped when I read that they were actually making room for United employees. Incredible. What on earth kind of operations is that...customers first eh?

Not anymore.

I heard that Google and Uber...

...never mind.

I don't believe the future anyway.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 12 Apr 2017, 19:14

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

Not anymore.

I heard that Google and Uber...

...never mind.

I don't believe the future anyway.

It beggars belief that they could only manage to work out that they needed seats for four employees after the flight was already full. One employee having to drop out at the last minute you could understand, but four smacks of incompetence in not only their PR but also their HR dept.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Apr 2017, 19:23

As many folks have pointed out on line, the employees could have been driven to Louisville, which was a five hour drive away. Would have been a lot less expensive in the long run than offering people money to be bumped, let alone what it's cost them in bad PR.

Karma can be a bitch.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 12 Apr 2017, 21:36

I was on a Ryanair flight Glasgow to London, everyone was seated. They were overbooked and needed a few people to "volunteer" they offered money and an alternate flight. Nobody moved, then they threatened that the plane wouldn't fly till this was resolved. Everyone sat still as it was clear that they had a window to take off in. Eventually they offered daft money and some students took the cash. Cant remember who much it was, I would've taken it as i live 5 minutes from the airport but I was meeting a mate in London and he would've already been on his way.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Apr 2017, 22:01

I've taken the money or flight award before if I didn't need to get there on time. I've also been refused entry for flights I showed up at least an hour ahead for. It sucks, and it's part of life, but I did notice this happen on United far more often than other airlines I've used. It was kind of standard procedure.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Return to “Nextdoorland”