United Airlines CEO lobbying hard for job in Trump White House

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

United Airlines CEO lobbying hard for job in Trump White House

Postby fueryIre » 11 Apr 2017, 08:14

The Great Defector

Re: United Airlines CEO lobbying hard for job in Trump White House

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Apr 2017, 16:14

Would this actually stop anyone using the airline if there was no other flight, or it was a cheaper option?
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Apr 2017, 17:52

Right on. :lol:
I love you.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Apr 2017, 19:01

United's CEO doubled down on what it feels what it was fair treatment to the passenger and may be involved in a smear campaign on the guy.

I've been on many a flight that was overbooked where passengers were offered enticements to take another flight, but never when everyone had already boarded. Always before.

I didn't know this until yesterday, but rules state that airlines have to offer 200% over the ticket value for one-way flights and 400% for round trips. They never do that.

Some folks were mentioning on various sites that United could've just paid for a rental car for the four employees that had to travel to Louisville from Chicago because it's only a 4.5 hour drive.

What with the two hour delay because of the incident, they probably would've made the drive in the time it took to make the flight.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Apr 2017, 19:06

Did united merge with Continental?
They seem to have taken over their logo.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Apr 2017, 19:16

Deebank wrote:Did united merge with Continental?
They seem to have taken over their logo.

Yes. Happened five years ago and they've been switching over.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Apr 2017, 19:24

You'd earn your money if you worked for this guy after this sloop.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Apr 2017, 19:33

If it was a Japanese company we'd see the company president bowing, saying sorry and then resigning.
I love you.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Apr 2017, 19:54

Nice to see there's already a link titled 'Response to forcible removal of passenger' on this stooge's Wiki page. This will follow him forever. Whether or not it actually hurts him is of course yet to be seen, but it does appear that his replete ineptitude would perfectly qualify him for this administration.

Watching the video, what I found most infuriating was the complete cowardice of the passengers. You hear a lot of screaming as the incident took place, and looks of horror on many faces as he's being dragged down the aisle, but no one stood up before the altercation to voice their opposition, nor to offer their seat instead. It's really quite shameful.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 11 Apr 2017, 21:08

Jimbo wrote:
If it was a Japanese company we'd see the company president bowing, saying sorry and then resigning.

40 years ago, if it had been a Japanese businessman he'd have bowed, said sorry and then ritually disembowelled himself in an act of seppuku.

The whole fucking country has gone to rack and ruin since Yukio Mishima's day and no mistake.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Apr 2017, 21:23

PresMuffley wrote:Watching the video, what I found most infuriating was the complete cowardice of the passengers. You hear a lot of screaming as the incident took place, and looks of horror on many faces as he's being dragged down the aisle, but no one stood up before the altercation to voice their opposition, nor to offer their seat instead. It's really quite shameful.

All the videos I've seen started with the cops already at the guys' seat. I don't know about you, but I would've been kinda in shock if this was happening and sitting on a plane that's probably sitting on the tarmac for 30-40 minutes would've numbed me a little to the situation happening around me.

And we're not getting a very full context. The Louisville Courier-Journal doesn't paint a very good picture of the "doctor" that was taken off. Not what the cops did was right, but the guy seemed like kind of a screwball too. The video of him returning to the plane and mumbling, "I have to go home, I have to go home," is kinda freaky.

If it were me, I probably would have voluntarily gotten up when I saw three burly cops coming my way because the outcome would definitely not be in my favor if I'd taken it that far.

What would you have done?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Apr 2017, 21:25

PresMuffley wrote:Watching the video, what I found most infuriating was the complete cowardice of the passengers. You hear a lot of screaming as the incident took place, and looks of horror on many faces as he's being dragged down the aisle, but no one stood up before the altercation to voice their opposition, nor to offer their seat instead. It's really quite shameful.

I wouldn't say shameful. I think they were in shock. I know I would have been. [EDIT: sloop beat me to it, obviously]

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Apr 2017, 21:55

I think there are plenty of better places for your ire than the other passengers, but maybe that's just me.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Apr 2017, 22:14

sloopjohnc wrote:

All the videos I've seen started with the cops already at the guys' seat. I don't know about you, but I would've been kinda in shock if this was happening and sitting on a plane that's probably sitting on the tarmac for 30-40 minutes would've numbed me a little to the situation happening around me.

And we're not getting a very full context. The Louisville Courier-Journal doesn't paint a very good picture of the "doctor" that was taken off. Not what the cops did was right, but the guy seemed like kind of a screwball too. The video of him returning to the plane and mumbling, "I have to go home, I have to go home," is kinda freaky.

If it were me, I probably would have voluntarily gotten up when I saw three burly cops coming my way because the outcome would definitely not be in my favor if I'd taken it that far.

Why did you put doctor in quotes? From what I read he had recently regained his license, but it doesn't matter to me either way. Regardless of his current professional status or past issues, nothing I've seen or read would indicate that he did anything other than refuse to obey - something people are far too ready and willing to do in this increasingly totalitarian-minded country - so of course there will be an attempt to paint him as an oddball, because rules are rules, and anyone with the gall to question authority must be a kook. His behavior after being viciously assaulted by armed rent-a-thugs seems perfectly normal to me.

It's impossible to give a definitive answer to what I would have done in this situation. I'm no hero, but I have never been one to take shit, so I would have probably spoken up, made some attempt to alleviate the situation, and possibly given up my seat - if the authorities hadn't bludgeoned me into submission before I had the opportunity.
Last edited by PresMuffley on 12 Apr 2017, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Apr 2017, 22:16

toomanyhatz wrote:I think there are plenty of better places for your ire than the other passengers, but maybe that's just me.

My ire can at times be all-encompassing. This is one of those times.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Apr 2017, 22:32

PresMuffley wrote:It's impossible to give a definitive answer to what I would have done in this situation. I'm no hero, but I have never been one to take shit, so I would have probably spoken up, made some attempt to alleviate the situation, and possibly given up my seat - if the authorities hadn't bludgeoned me into submission before I had the opportunity.

This is the only thing I asked. And I asked because you sounded pretty Rambo about it.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Apr 2017, 22:34

PresMuffley wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I think there are plenty of better places for your ire than the other passengers, but maybe that's just me.

You did, however, use the word 'most.'

I agree there's plenty of ire to go around, but it all comes from one place. Legally, the law is on the side of the airline and the cops. And the fact that $800 wasn't enough to get people to volunteer suggests that maybe everybody had somewhere important to be.

Considering the problem is a system that favors corporations over individuals, I would put those other passengers on the side of the oppressed rather than as part of the problem. I don't think they deserve your ire. But you seem like one to share it pretty freely, so don't let me stop you.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Apr 2017, 22:35

PresMuffley wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

It's impossible to give a definitive answer to what I would have done in this situation, but in the absence of any true sense of what the people on the flight were experiencing and with the knowledge that nobody can prove otherwise I'm gonna say that I would have taken out my THOR HAMMER and said ENOUGH

Oooh! My hero *fans self*
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Apr 2017, 22:46

sloopjohnc wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:It's impossible to give a definitive answer to what I would have done in this situation. I'm no hero, but I have never been one to take shit, so I would have probably spoken up, made some attempt to alleviate the situation, and possibly given up my seat - if the authorities hadn't bludgeoned me into submission before I had the opportunity.

This is the only thing I asked. And I asked because you sounded pretty Rambo about it.

Nah, man. I try to avoid conflict, but I do have a temper.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Apr 2017, 22:50

toomanyhatz wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:

You did, however, use the word 'most.'

I agree there's plenty of ire to go around, but it all comes from one place. Legally, the law is on the side of the airline and the cops. And the fact that $800 wasn't enough to get people to volunteer suggests that maybe everybody had somewhere important to be.

Considering the problem is a system that favors corporations over individuals, I would put those other passengers on the side of the oppressed rather than as part of the problem. I don't think they deserve your ire. But you seem like one to share it pretty freely, so don't let me stop you.

The struggle to free the oppressed coach flying masses isn't one I'm particularly concerned with pursuing, but if these people had all stood in solidarity against the injustices committed in the name of law & order perhaps we would have seen a very different situation unfold.

I expect shit like this from our corporate overlords so it wasn't shocking to me. I also expect people to stand up for one another, though I'm not sure why.

Return to “Nextdoorland”