John Clarke RIP

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

John Clarke RIP

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Apr 2017, 05:07

I know this won't mean much to UK/US BCBers, but for NZ and Australian posters, this is very sad news. One of the best satirists of his generation, and a man who could make anything seem funny with his very sideways, avuncular sense of humour. He was beyond deadpan. Of course Clarke & Dawe's The Games (about the Sydney 2000 Olympics) anticipated The Office by half a decade, while his head-to-head "interviews" with Bryan Dawe were often razorsharp. The guy had little tolerance for bullshit, but there was still a warmth about him that made his jokes stick everytime. Here's two very nice tributes, fittingly, from ABC, and another from RNZ, while in the meantime, here's a few of his more celebrated routines.

68 is no age. RIP John Clarke.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Charlie O.

Re: John Clarke RIP

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Apr 2017, 06:04

That's wonderful stuff! I wish I wasn't only just finding out about him now.

R.I.P.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Apr 2017, 06:16

I was introduced to his political double headers years ago because he did one about a dead whale and a seismic ship which is fucking hilarious and was sent around the whole industry. Sheer genius.

A couple of British comedians - Bird & Fortune? - ripped off this format but not as well although though.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Apr 2017, 16:15

Copehead wrote:I was introduced to his political double headers years ago because he did one about a dead whale and a seismic ship which is fucking hilarious and was sent around the whole industry. Sheer genius.

That's where I knew him from, that was funny as fuck.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvenist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Apr 2017, 21:36

One of the funniest things I have ever seen. The man was a genius, and Bird and Fortune ripped him off in the UK although as they are both men of honour I am sure they credited him
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Apr 2017, 22:31

The Clarke & Dawe-series is where I stepped in. Just phenomenally funny- deadpan as deadpan can be and very sharp.
That Turnbull praised them after they filetted him on several occasions speaks volumes.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 23 Apr 2017, 05:32

Touching tribute here from ABC. We really have lost one of the great ones.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Return to “Nextdoorland”