Best ever music program on UK TV

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

What are your three favourite ever music shows on UK TV?

Six-five special
No votes
Ready Steady Go
3%
Top of The Pops
25%
Lift off with Ayshea
No votes
Old Grey Whistle Test
28%
Revolver
3%
So it Goes
3%
Get It Together
3%
Marc
No votes
The Tube
25%
The Word
3%
Later with Jools Holland
10%

Total votes: 40

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Best ever music program on UK TV

Postby fueryIre » 10 Apr 2017, 19:14

With the ultra-smarmy Jools Holland and his frankly fucking irritating boogie-woogie joanna about to start their 50th (count em!) series of Later, what are your three favourite ever UK music TV shows?

Please feel free to use the other option if you think I've missed something out...

**NOW PLAYING**
hounds people off the board

Re: Best ever music program on UK TV

Postby **NOW PLAYING** » 10 Apr 2017, 19:42

TOTP
OGWT
The Tube

Don't see anything else there quite as good as those three, altho' I was too young for quite a few of them. I've chosen OGWT because of some great performances (Tim Buckley, Dolls, Beefheart, Alex Harvey) but there was an awful lot of stolid 70s guff. And when it came back in the 80s it suffered from an excess of earnest Andy Kershaw-approved horrors (Tracy Chapman, Billy Bragg, Suzanne Vega).

The Word had three or four of the most exciting music moments of the 90s (Nirvana, Stereolab, Oasis) but was mostly pretty bad.

TFI Friday and The White Room had their moments too, if you want progs that aren't mentioned. The Roxy tried to do what TOTP had done for years and was occasionally successful. And I've seen some really nice bits of Colour Me Pop (Small Faces, Move) but I think it was short-lived.

Would be great to see a TOTP boxset - it's essentially the history of British pop music over at least four decades. Unlikely, I suppose, with so much of it being wiped. And I suppose there are copyright issues. But if Beat-Club/Musikladen managed it....
The Great Defector wrote:Do mean films that would go down as the one of the best ever type of films?

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 10 Apr 2017, 20:05

I remember a show called 'Whatever you didn't get' or something. Tony wozname from Factory presented I think

Had some good JDiv, SDC, Damned plus others. Late night C4
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 10 Apr 2017, 20:10

I have watched about an hour of Later throughout its 49 series and that was enough. How can one man make music seem so joy-free and such hard work? The Tube was great though and The Word had its moments, but Top of the Pops is close to being my favourite TV programme of any genre. It worked perfectly until music died.

Snub TV was amazing for a few weeks in 1990. At a time when Radio 1 thought rock music was Then Jericho it was mindblowing to see Ride on telly.

It was atrocious for most of its lifetime, but I liked the last series of The Old Grey Whistle Test with David Hepworth and Andy Kershaw (obsessed by somebody called Ted Hawkins at the time). I presume I was the only one, because it was cancelled.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 10 Apr 2017, 20:17

Top of The Pops, Whistle Test and The Tube

There were others that had their moments, but these were the three that were the most important. Thursday nights waiting for Tomorrow's World to finish, getting excited that someone good would be on, usually disappointed though. Started watching the Whistle Test when I was 14, starting to buy albums by now. Looking back it was smug beyond belief.And the the Tube was just the right show at the right time, finished work at either 1.30 or 3.30 depending on my shift, sleep, eat, watch tube, out to Mrs J's.

Top of The Pops is running on bbc 4 on fridays, its not aged well.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2017, 20:26

The White Room ought to be in that list.
yomptepi wrote: I was the ninth person to register. At the time this did bestow Doyenship upon me.Although there is an aggressive and unpleasant clique within BCB that disputes these credentials. However, I am comfortable with the facts as they stand.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 10 Apr 2017, 20:36

I find the best way to watch Later... is to record it and fast forward through the bits you don't like. On a good episode I FF through the whole thing, done in 3mins

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 10 Apr 2017, 20:37

Top Of The Pops and Whistle Test from the list. Third, would be TFI Friday...I know, I know.

I remember Colour Me Pop, was a pretty good show.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 10 Apr 2017, 22:13

Top of the pops always , then and now , just looks stupid , dad dancing and miming musos along with the little boys club radio one ' jocks' makes it a toe curling experience for me .
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Apr 2017, 02:58

I can't choose because I haven't watched enough to make a comparison. What what I do know is how much better UK music TV than US music TV. Saturday Night Live always has the most interesting musical guests but the sound sucks. UK music TV sounds terrific. The Jules Holland show is wonderful. My wife and I will watch reruns whenever they come on. Kudos to British sound engineers!
I love you.

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 11 Apr 2017, 08:18

Fonz wrote:I remember a show called 'Whatever you didn't get' or something. Tony wozname from Factory presented I think

That would have been So It Goes...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Apr 2017, 08:22

rsg & tube so much better than any of the others.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Apr 2017, 08:32

What about Supersonic!
yomptepi wrote: I was the ninth person to register. At the time this did bestow Doyenship upon me.Although there is an aggressive and unpleasant clique within BCB that disputes these credentials. However, I am comfortable with the facts as they stand.

K

Postby K » 11 Apr 2017, 08:40

Diamond Dog wrote:What about Supersonic!

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

fueryIre

Postby fueryIre » 11 Apr 2017, 09:28

K wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:What about Supersonic!

Where's Eddie?

It all seems a tad reminiscent of that Chas and Dave record mourning the break up of the Boogie-woogie partnership.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 11 Apr 2017, 12:29

fueryIre wrote:
Fonz wrote:I remember a show called 'Whatever you didn't get' or something. Tony wozname from Factory presented I think

That would have been So It Goes...

You may be right. But I am pretty sure there was a series called 'Whatever you didn't get', which was a sort of 'remnants of' another show- probably 'So It Goes'
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 11 Apr 2017, 13:02

Two different shows:

Whatever You Want was on Channel 4 1982/3, Keith Allen was involved.

So It Goes, Granada 1976/77, Tony Wilson.
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 11 Apr 2017, 13:02

And The White Room was terrible, Dadrock manifest.
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Apr 2017, 16:12

DADDY-O wrote:TOTP
OGWT
The Tube

Don't see anything else there quite as good as those three, altho' I was too young for quite a few of them. I've chosen OGWT because of some great performances (Tim Buckley, Dolls, Beefheart, Alex Harvey) but there was an awful lot of stolid 70s guff. And when it came back in the 80s it suffered from an excess of earnest Andy Kershaw-approved horrors (Tracy Chapman, Billy Bragg, Suzanne Vega).

The Word had three or four of the most exciting music moments of the 90s (Nirvana, Stereolab, Oasis) but was mostly pretty bad.

TFI Friday and The White Room had their moments too, if you want progs that aren't mentioned. The Roxy tried to do what TOTP had done for years and was occasionally successful. And I've seen some really nice bits of Colour Me Pop (Small Faces, Move) but I think it was short-lived.

Would be great to see a TOTP boxset - it's essentially the history of British pop music over at least four decades. Unlikely, I suppose, with so much of it being wiped. And I suppose there are copyright issues. But if Beat-Club/Musikladen managed it....

Plus are they gonna show episodes fronted by former national institution Jimmy Savile?

I agree with what you said.

The Old Grey Whistle test really suffered from a boring aesthetic but there can't help but be some gold in there considering the period.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 11 Apr 2017, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Apr 2017, 16:12

No Disco is the answer for best ever Irish music program.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Return to “Nextdoorland”