Off colour humour

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Off colour humour

Postby Copehead » 09 Apr 2017, 10:53

Fonz wrote:[
His justification for taking the piss out of her, and Down's children etc is that 'it's just a joke'.

Fuck him. He deserves eternal unhappiness.

But that wasn't his justification for it, I wrote down what his justification for it was
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Apr 2017, 15:20

Dog Pickle 'BEAUT' wrote:

It's a good movie if you like comedy. Bob Saget takes the joke to a whole new level.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Apr 2017, 15:23

never/ever wrote:I had something similar when I watched a Roast from Comedy Central a few years back and thought it to be extremely hard going- the level of gay jokes directed at George Takei was of a pretty hideous level and even with him laughing his ass off it still felt wrong. I sort of relatived that when I saw the Dean Martin-roasts which were less hurtful but still punched below the belt at times- and yes, Don Rickles was A Star, as was Richard Pryor- so when I tried the following Roast (Donald Trump) I could stomach it better and found it to be very funny in some parts. In fact Greg Giraldo has become one of my favourite comedians because of the show. I used to wince about certain topics being used (cancer, incest) but not to a degree I completely switch off. The most important part for me remains the delivery of the joke... the pace, timing, the timbre of the voice can make the corniest jokes utterly hilarious.

Roasts are a whole different animal as far as comedy. The jokes are for the other comedians as much as they are for the audience.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Apr 2017, 17:50

Copehead wrote:
His justification for taking the piss out of her, and Down's children etc is that 'it's just a joke'.

But that wasn't his justification for it, I wrote down what his justification for it was

By that logic Corbyn and Milliband would 'deserve' awful cancer jokes if they were so afflicted.

Sorry mate, it's just wrong.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Apr 2017, 18:00

I think the bottom line is, if you find it funny it's not wrong but if you don't then....
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Apr 2017, 20:27

Fair enough. Each to their own.
Heyyyy!

Robert

Postby Robert » 09 Apr 2017, 22:54

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
I find there is something wonderfully exciting about some good old fashioned crude humour. It can break down social barriers very quickly, establish common ground. I guess all shared humour can of course but there is something about shared obscenity that can be particularly thrilling and bonding. I shared a flat with an Italian dude at uni once. On the first night I was already calling him an "Italian cunt" and he was calling me a "Scottish bastard". I may have used the word Dago. We both laughed at heartily at all this. We were good friends from that night on. Sometimes I think this sorta thing is being lost. Some people would probably see that as a good thing mind.

I think it's needed depending on the situation. The situation being, you have to feel out the person to see if they were see the joke or just take offence. It's shits all over people that are absolute in that you can't use racist or derogatory terms ever, no matter what. I had the similar experience in uni. 1/3 of our basketball team were catholic/Irish, the other 1/3 were protestant. Orange or Fenian cunt/wanker/etc was often heard in taking the piss from each other.

Not offensive but certainly funny!

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Apr 2017, 23:19

Robert wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
I find there is something wonderfully exciting about some good old fashioned crude humour. It can break down social barriers very quickly, establish common ground. I guess all shared humour can of course but there is something about shared obscenity that can be particularly thrilling and bonding. I shared a flat with an Italian dude at uni once. On the first night I was already calling him an "Italian cunt" and he was calling me a "Scottish bastard". I may have used the word Dago. We both laughed at heartily at all this. We were good friends from that night on. Sometimes I think this sorta thing is being lost. Some people would probably see that as a good thing mind.

I think it's needed depending on the situation. The situation being, you have to feel out the person to see if they were see the joke or just take offence. It's shits all over people that are absolute in that you can't use racist or derogatory terms ever, no matter what. I had the similar experience in uni. 1/3 of our basketball team were catholic/Irish, the other 1/3 were protestant. Orange or Fenian cunt/wanker/etc was often heard in taking the piss from each other.

Not offensive but certainly funny!

In that sort of situation there's a lot of self-deprecation. Everyone is, hopefully, in the same page in terms of the intent of the insult/humour. There isn't a victim, and the participants don't come away feeling victimised plus, the shared transgressive nature of the humour is bonding.

It's a world away from the nasty, bullying, smug , sneering humour that I don't like.

I am a lot of fun to be around. GSOH.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Apr 2017, 01:37

Fonz wrote:
Copehead wrote:

By that logic Corbyn and Milliband would 'deserve' awful cancer jokes if they were so afflicted.

That still isn't it.

Jordan and Goody monetised themselves and their families
They didn't achieve fame for doing something like becoming a politician or even a footballer.
The specifically set out to make money from publicising their lives and the lives of those around them.

That is his justification for seeing them as targets of his comedy and for his not believing he is punching down.

Not sure I buy his justification 100% but it is nothing like you portray; it is neither "it's just a joke" nor " they're in the public eye".

He was very specific about that, especially as the joke about Jordan was actually also about her son who is metally impaired in some way. But there is only one way that that information got into the public domain.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 10 Apr 2017, 07:48

Copehead wrote:
Fonz wrote:
Copehead wrote:

That still isn't it.

They didn't achieve fame for doing something like becoming a politician or even a footballer.
The specifically set out to make money from publicising their lives and the lives of those around them.

That is his justification for seeing them as targets of his comedy and for his not believing he is punching down.

Not sure I buy his justification 100% but it is nothing like you portray; it is neither "it's just a joke" nor " they're in the public eye".

He was very specific about that, especially as the joke about Jordan was actually also about her son who is metally impaired in some way. But there is only one way that that information got into the public domain.

Being a witless narcissist still doesn't make someone deserving of that kind of attack
Heyyyy!

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Apr 2017, 07:56

Fonz wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Fonz wrote:

That still isn't it.

Being a witless narcissist still doesn't make someone deserving of that kind of attack

That is an opinion I have some sympathy with. I didn't find the jokes unamusing or even excessively cruel considering all the circumstances, just unnecessary, they are were/are incredibly easy targets and unworthy of a comedian of Boyle's potency and skill's time.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 10 Apr 2017, 08:39

Copehead wrote:
Fonz wrote:
Copehead wrote:
That still isn't it.

That is an opinion I have some sympathy with. I didn't find the jokes unamusing or even excessively cruel considering all the circumstances, just unnecessary, they are were/are incredibly easy targets and unworthy of a comedian of Boyle's potency and skill's time.

Yeah. It's s shame really. He could be very funny.

Then he became a bearded hipster and things went wrong for him.
Heyyyy!

**NOW PLAYING**
hounds people off the board

Postby **NOW PLAYING** » 10 Apr 2017, 08:42

Goat Boy wrote:I think the bottom line is, if you find it funny it's not wrong but if you don't then....

Also if you like the comedian. I think that's important.

That's a problem with Boyle, isn't it? He's a prick.
The Great Defector wrote:Do mean films that would go down as the one of the best ever type of films?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Apr 2017, 10:03

Aye. He's not likeable. These days it's all 4th rate chomskyisms in the Guardian. Tedious twat

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Apr 2017, 11:40

Boyle and his shtick is over. He's as noughties as rancid Banoffee pie, relegated to the ignominy of Facebook and Twitter and basking in the number of 'Likes' massaging his ego.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

Nick

Postby Nick » 10 Apr 2017, 11:41

Goat Boy wrote:Aye. He's not likeable. These days it's all 4th rate chomskyisms in the Guardian. Tedious twat

Yep. He's irritatingly smug and smartarse in the same way that wankers like Mark Steel and Jeremy Hardy are.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Apr 2017, 13:25

Samoan wrote:Boyle and his shtick is over. He's as noughties as rancid Banoffee pie, relegated to the ignominy of Facebook and Twitter and basking in the number of 'Likes' massaging his ego.

:lol:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Apr 2017, 13:28

Nick wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Aye. He's not likeable. These days it's all 4th rate chomskyisms in the Guardian. Tedious twat

Yep. He's irritatingly smug and smartarse in the same way that wankers like Mark Steel and Jeremy Hardy are.

Mark fucking Steel. How do these cunts find employment?

**NOW PLAYING**
hounds people off the board

Postby **NOW PLAYING** » 10 Apr 2017, 13:34

I just watched Louis CK's recent special. He's pretty good. Stuff about gays, killing people. But he's likeable.
The Great Defector wrote:Do mean films that would go down as the one of the best ever type of films?

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Apr 2017, 13:42

Is he actually funny? the only real time I checked him out was his n****r joke about getting coffee. There was a bit of a up in arms about it.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Return to “Nextdoorland”