Off colour humour

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
never/ever

Re: Off colour humour

Postby never/ever » 08 Apr 2017, 11:52

I had something similar when I watched a Roast from Comedy Central a few years back and thought it to be extremely hard going- the level of gay jokes directed at George Takei was of a pretty hideous level and even with him laughing his ass off it still felt wrong. I sort of relatived that when I saw the Dean Martin-roasts which were less hurtful but still punched below the belt at times- and yes, Don Rickles was A Star, as was Richard Pryor- so when I tried the following Roast (Donald Trump) I could stomach it better and found it to be very funny in some parts. In fact Greg Giraldo has become one of my favourite comedians because of the show. I used to wince about certain topics being used (cancer, incest) but not to a degree I completely switch off. The most important part for me remains the delivery of the joke... the pace, timing, the timbre of the voice can make the corniest jokes utterly hilarious.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Apr 2017, 12:23

Fonz wrote:I stopped being a fan of Frankie Boyle when he made jokes about Jade Goody dying, do young, of cancer, leaving behind two really young kids.

I always considered myself to have a really debased level of humour, but I just thought his humour, exploiting a really really sad situation, was pathetic and shameful.

My point is, I suppose, that all of us have some sort of taste threshold, even if we haven't discovered it yet.

Boyle's a fucked up, chippy, little shit.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

K

Postby K » 08 Apr 2017, 12:32

Dog Pickle 'BEAUT' wrote:

That's great
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Apr 2017, 12:34

Samoan wrote:
Fonz wrote:I stopped being a fan of Frankie Boyle when he made jokes about Jade Goody dying, do young, of cancer, leaving behind two really young kids.

I always considered myself to have a really debased level of humour, but I just thought his humour, exploiting a really really sad situation, was pathetic and shameful.

My point is, I suppose, that all of us have some sort of taste threshold, even if we haven't discovered it yet.

Why is he fucked up?

I find him to be a cliched left winger these days although I never found him particularly funny before.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 08 Apr 2017, 12:39

Trump in the White House, UK out of Europe, squabbling and ineffective opposition, WWIII on the horizon (now with added lone wolf terrorist attacks) - the age of irony is over. Comedy has always had a 'speaking back to power' element, things need to change if you're speaking the same language.

Perhaps being nice and silly should be the new response.
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Apr 2017, 12:45

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 13:07

I'm offended by the thought of sitting in an audience full of semi-drunks listening to someone go on in a contrived manner attempting to make me laugh. It doesn't appeal to me in the least. Maybe if they were freestyling it might make it bearable, or somewhat more interesting, but it seems doubtful. Jokes don't bother me personally, though I don't care to hear some self-congratulatory ass like Gervais make larfs about still born babies. I used to like him a bit - at least when it came to running down celebs - but after watching An Idiot Abroad I genuinely despise him. The entire show was: ohhh ho ho, Karl is such a dumbfuck, let's see what inane shit we can get him to do now, har har har, bless my heart, I'm such a funny man. The thing was, as simple as Karl's observations were, he was far more honest and witty than Gervais. And he actually had the balls to endure the shit, while Ricky yucked it up in luxury.
Last edited by PresMuffley on 08 Apr 2017, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Apr 2017, 13:15

There is something weird about being in an audience for a stand up show. It's not something that appeals to me. The only stand up comic I've seen is Jerry Sadowitz.

Karl Pilkington is wonderful. One of those innately funny people.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

**NOW PLAYING**
hounds people off the board

Postby **NOW PLAYING** » 08 Apr 2017, 13:21

He is, but I get what Muffley's saying too. Gervais is a tosser.
The Great Defector wrote:Do mean films that would go down as the one of the best ever type of films?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Apr 2017, 13:25

PresMuffley wrote: I don't care to hear some self-congratulatory ass like Gervais make larfs about still born babies. I used to like him a bit - at least when it came to running down celebs - but after watching An Idiot Abroad I genuinely despise him. The entire show was: ohhh ho ho, Karl is such a dumbfuck, let's see what inane shit we can get him to do now, hat har har, bless my heart, I'm such a funny man. The thing was, as simple as Karl's observations were, he was far more honest and witty than Gervais. And he actually had the balls to endure the shit, while Ricky yucked it up in luxury.

Correct on every single point. Gervais is so unfunny it's not true.
yomptepi wrote: I was the ninth person to register. At the time this did bestow Doyenship upon me.Although there is an aggressive and unpleasant clique within BCB that disputes these credentials. However, I am comfortable with the facts as they stand.

Nick

Postby Nick » 08 Apr 2017, 13:27

We watched this last weekend, and did wince a few times, but I also thought it was very funny. Jeffries is generally very good at getting near the knuckle without quite going over the edge.

Thoughts?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Apr 2017, 13:39

Goat Boy wrote:
Samoan wrote:

Why is he fucked up?

I find him to be a cliched left winger these days although I never found him particularly funny before.

He homes in on people and issues with no clout so there's zero comeback. An old-new-timeless coward.

He wouldn't try that with Islam, nor with the Italian earthquake for example: there's a large Scots-Italian community in Glasgow.

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 08 Apr 2017, 13:42

Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Apr 2017, 15:20

Goat Boy wrote:I think that’s what some people call it. Crude stuff, tasteless, scatological, transgressive etc

I have quite basic humour. I laugh at farts for example. I like “offensive” jokes. I say “offensive” things deliberately. People get that I’m doing this ironically but you still get resistance. People still need to sometimes point out that this is "wrong" regardless of your intent and the context. Tiresome. Political correctness n all that.

You sometimes feel people look down at you for this sorta thing. Like it’s immature. You get very little of this on BCB. I made a Jimmy Saville joke at work the other day and some dude looked at me as if I’d just shat on the floor. Maybe it just wasn’t very funny.

I find there is something wonderfully exciting about some good old fashioned crude humour. It can break down social barriers very quickly, establish common ground. I guess all shared humour can of course but there is something about shared obscenity that can be particularly thrilling and bonding. I shared a flat with an Italian dude at uni once. On the first night I was already calling him an "Italian cunt" and he was calling me a "Scottish bastard". I may have used the word Dago. We both laughed at heartily at all this. We were good friends from that night on. Sometimes I think this sorta thing is being lost. Some people would probably see that as a good thing mind.

When my son Derek and I are hanging out, sometimes I lean over to him and say, "Hey, I gotta tell you something," and then let out a loud fart.

Or sometimes I let out a loud fart and say, "Hey Derek, knock it off. That's rude."
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Apr 2017, 15:21

In a scene from Chris Rock talking to Jerry Seinfeld in a Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Rock says that because he's a comedian he gets asked to speak at funerals. Seinfeld asked him how he does.

"I kill,"Rock replies.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Apr 2017, 15:24

PresMuffley wrote:I'm offended by the thought of sitting in an audience full of semi-drunks listening to someone go on in a contrived manner attempting to make me laugh. It doesn't appeal to me in the least.

I love good stand up, except I don't really think of it being in a communal atmosphere like I do seeing a musical act. Weird, I know. I enjoy sharing laughs with the person I'm with and talking about it afterwards, but nothing much more communal than that. Not like when I'm in a crowd enjoying a band.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 09 Apr 2017, 03:57

Samoan wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
Samoan wrote:Boyle's a fucked up, chippy, little shit.

Why is he fucked up?

He homes in on people and issues with no clout so there's zero comeback. An old-new-timeless coward.

He wouldn't try that with Islam, nor with the Italian earthquake for example: there's a large Scots-Italian community in Glasgow.

I think you'll find he has tried it with Islam on numerous occasions, and I am not sure an earthquake in Italy is material for comedy or why that would be proof of Boyle being a brave comedian.

The only sort of humour I find offensive is that which deliberately punches down.

Boyle skirts the edge of that on occasion, his defense for the Goody/Jordan stuff is that they put themselves and their families in the public eye for personal gain and therefore they are legitimate targets. I have a little sympathy for that view and he isn't punching down as much sticking an hobnailed boot to the crotch of a vacuous celebrity, the problem I have is they are such easy targets, but I suppose they still need targeting, perhaps targeting the corpse is not needed.

Ironically punching down is a difficult trick to pull off, Gervais sometimes manages it. Punching down when you are already a minority comedian is still punching down - see homophobia in Black male comedians especially those who get angry at any attempt to draw and equivalence between the k civil rights and homosexual civil rights movements.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 09 Apr 2017, 04:51

Take my wife … Please. Offensive to women?
I love you.

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Apr 2017, 05:48

it depends on the situation and company but yeah, I do find this stuff funny.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Apr 2017, 10:42

Copehead wrote:
Samoan wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
Why is he fucked up?

I think you'll find he has tried it with Islam on numerous occasions, and I am not sure an earthquake in Italy is material for comedy or why that would be proof of Boyle being a brave comedian.

The only sort of humour I find offensive is that which deliberately punches down.

Boyle skirts the edge of that on occasion, his defense for the Goody/Jordan stuff is that they put themselves and their families in the public eye for personal gain and therefore they are legitimate targets. I have a little sympathy for that view and he isn't punching down as much sticking an hobnailed boot to the crotch of a vacuous celebrity, the problem I have is they are such easy targets, but I suppose they still need targeting, perhaps targeting the corpse is not needed.

Ironically punching down is a difficult trick to pull off, Gervais sometimes manages it. Punching down when you are already a minority comedian is still punching down - see homophobia in Black male comedians especially those who get angry at any attempt to draw and equivalence between the k civil rights and homosexual civil rights movements.

He didn't just skirt the edge with Goody. He was nasty and vile. Goody was hardly on my radar but getting a terminal cancer diagnosis, with two young children to leave behind, and then having a spiteful 'comedian' make fun of that...
He is almost beneath contempt.

His justification for taking the piss out of her, and Down's children etc is that 'it's just a joke'.

Fuck him. He deserves eternal unhappiness.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Return to “Nextdoorland”