Off colour humour

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Off colour humour

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 14:05

I think that’s what some people call it. Crude stuff, tasteless, scatological, transgressive etc

I have quite basic humour. I laugh at farts for example. I like “offensive” jokes. I say “offensive” things deliberately. People get that I’m doing this ironically but you still get resistance. People still need to sometimes point out that this is "wrong" regardless of your intent and the context. Tiresome. Political correctness n all that.

You sometimes feel people look down at you for this sorta thing. Like it’s immature. You get very little of this on BCB. I made a Jimmy Saville joke at work the other day and some dude looked at me as if I’d just shat on the floor. Maybe it just wasn’t very funny.

I find there is something wonderfully exciting about some good old fashioned crude humour. It can break down social barriers very quickly, establish common ground. I guess all shared humour can of course but there is something about shared obscenity that can be particularly thrilling and bonding. I shared a flat with an Italian dude at uni once. On the first night I was already calling him an "Italian cunt" and he was calling me a "Scottish bastard". I may have used the word Dago. We both laughed at heartily at all this. We were good friends from that night on. Sometimes I think this sorta thing is being lost. Some people would probably see that as a good thing mind.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Great Defector

Re: Off colour humour

Postby The Great Defector » 07 Apr 2017, 14:11

Goat Boy wrote:
I find there is something wonderfully exciting about some good old fashioned crude humour. It can break down social barriers very quickly, establish common ground. I guess all shared humour can of course but there is something about shared obscenity that can be particularly thrilling and bonding. I shared a flat with an Italian dude at uni once. On the first night I was already calling him an "Italian cunt" and he was calling me a "Scottish bastard". I may have used the word Dago. We both laughed at heartily at all this. We were good friends from that night on. Sometimes I think this sorta thing is being lost. Some people would probably see that as a good thing mind.

I think it's needed depending on the situation. The situation being, you have to feel out the person to see if they were see the joke or just take offence. It's shits all over people that are absolute in that you can't use racist or derogatory terms ever, no matter what. I had the similar experience in uni. 1/3 of our basketball team were catholic/Irish, the other 1/3 were protestant. Orange or Fenian cunt/wanker/etc was often heard in taking the piss from each other.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 14:14

Did you find that getting it out there, acknowledging these "differences" through that sorta thing was somehow, I dunno, liberating?

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 07 Apr 2017, 14:19

Goat Boy wrote:Did you find that getting it out there, acknowledging these "differences" through that sorta thing was somehow, I dunno, liberating?

I always do, but you need to suss out the person first. If you go in with this type of humour and it backfires, you're fucked. It's the people that turn the nose up at this humour that makes me roll my eyes. Like they're offended for them or something, or they're angry that person who the joke was about didn't feel insulted. It goes for gender and sexuality jokes too.
Last edited by The Great Defector on 07 Apr 2017, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 14:24

Aye. You also get people who find this stuff funny but never indulge themselves cos they don't want to look like cunts even though it's understood it's not serious. I get that at work sometimes

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 07 Apr 2017, 14:27

Goat Boy wrote:Aye. You also get people who find this stuff funny but never indulge themselves cos they don't want to look like cunts even though it's understood it's not serious. I get that at work sometimes

I'm one of those people but it's not about worrying that I'll look the cunt, it's just I don't want the hassle of the SJW's going crazy.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 15:02

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Aye. You also get people who find this stuff funny but never indulge themselves cos they don't want to look like cunts even though it's understood it's not serious. I get that at work sometimes

I'm one of those people but it's not about worrying that I'll look the cunt, it's just I don't want the hassle of the SJW's going crazy.

Some folk will always ignore your intentions. I'd say it just to wind em up.

Brutal Kangaroo
Fucking Crackers

Postby Brutal Kangaroo » 07 Apr 2017, 15:03

About a week ago I was listening to the breakfast show on the classic hits station on the way to work, they were having their normal early morning chit chat with the newsreader, who was talking about getting flowers for his husband for their anniversary. One of the hosts asked if he liked flowers and the newsreader said "he's a poof, of course he does"

It just took me back, I mean I enjoyed it immensely, but you never hear that anymore. There was nothing offensive about it, just a bloke poking fun at his husband.

I think everyone is fair game if it isn't malicious.
Goat Boy wrote:Fuck me (please note: this is not a request, I am merely expressing exasperation)

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 07 Apr 2017, 15:07

Brutal Kangaroo wrote:

I think everyone is fair game if it isn't malicious.

I wouldn't go that far, like I said before you need to suss out the person first. That guy obviously knows his husband so he knew he could get away with it.

Brutal Kangaroo
Fucking Crackers

Postby Brutal Kangaroo » 07 Apr 2017, 15:11

Well of course you pick your audience. Like with Don Rickles, you knew what you were getting it you go anywhere near that sort of gear. Unfortunately a lot of people see offence in anything so you can't help that, but I'm lucky that I'm usually surrounded by people easy going enough that the jokes are coming thick and fast
Goat Boy wrote:Fuck me (please note: this is not a request, I am merely expressing exasperation)

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 07 Apr 2017, 15:16

Brutal Kangaroo wrote:Well of course you pick your audience. Like with Don Rickles, you knew what you were getting it you go anywhere near that sort of gear. Unfortunately a lot of people see offence in anything so you can't help that, but I'm lucky that I'm usually surrounded by people easy going enough that the jokes are coming thick and fast

You should youtube SJW getting owned on youtube. It's quite funny. Unfortunately there are some cunts like the milo guy in the clips but it's worth checking it out.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 07 Apr 2017, 15:29

The Great Defector wrote: I had the similar experience in uni. 1/3 of our basketball team were catholic/Irish, the other 1/3 were protestant.

Boy, Markus, your team must have been crap as there was a whole third missing from the equation!
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 07 Apr 2017, 15:53

souphound wrote:
The Great Defector wrote: I had the similar experience in uni. 1/3 of our basketball team were catholic/Irish, the other 1/3 were protestant.

Boy, Markus, your team must have been crap as there was a whole third missing from the equation!

:lol: ...the other 3rd were made up of Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Greek.

We were still shite. When you're motto is "Win or lose, we're on the booze", you're not gonna win many matches.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Apr 2017, 04:52

Goat Boy wrote:I think that’s what some people call it. Crude stuff, tasteless, scatological, transgressive etc

I have quite basic humour. I laugh at farts for example. I like “offensive” jokes. I say “offensive” things deliberately. People get that I’m doing this ironically but you still get resistance. People still need to sometimes point out that this is "wrong" regardless of your intent and the context. Tiresome. Political correctness n all that.

You sometimes feel people look down at you for this sorta thing. Like it’s immature. You get very little of this on BCB. I made a Jimmy Saville joke at work the other day and some dude looked at me as if I’d just shat on the floor. Maybe it just wasn’t very funny.

Have you seen the film "The Aristocrats"?
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Apr 2017, 05:51

Joe Rogan talking with Greg Fitzsimmons, comedians talking shop, said if you are going to tell a rape joke today it had better be funny.
I love you.

**NOW PLAYING**
hounds people off the board

Postby **NOW PLAYING** » 08 Apr 2017, 05:57

Copehead wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think that’s what some people call it. Crude stuff, tasteless, scatological, transgressive etc

Have you seen the film "The Aristocrats"?

Loved that film.
The Great Defector wrote:Do mean films that would go down as the one of the best ever type of films?

**NOW PLAYING**
hounds people off the board

Postby **NOW PLAYING** » 08 Apr 2017, 05:58

The Great Defector wrote:Do mean films that would go down as the one of the best ever type of films?

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 08 Apr 2017, 08:39

Then there are those people who take pride in being offended (typically outraged Tory MPs from the Shires who take to the tabloids to vent their spleen when Chris Morris has a new show out that they haven't bothered to watch).

Interesting story earlier in the week about a couple in Belfast who walked out of a recent Ricky Gervais stand up show when RG made a joke about a dead baby. While it was apparently the first time the couple had been out since the wife mis-carried last summer, the two claimed to have known nothing about RG's style of comedy.

All sounds a bit too pat to me. I mean why would you pay something like UK£100 to UK£150 for tickets to see someone you knew nothing about?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Apr 2017, 08:59

Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 08 Apr 2017, 11:38

I stopped being a fan of Frankie Boyle when he made jokes about Jade Goody dying, do young, of cancer, leaving behind two really young kids.

I always considered myself to have a really debased level of humour, but I just thought his humour, exploiting a really really sad situation, was pathetic and shameful.

My point is, I suppose, that all of us have some sort of taste threshold, even if we haven't discovered it yet.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Return to “Nextdoorland”