Where you live

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 24105
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Where you live

Postby souphound » 08 Apr 2017, 19:52

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
souphound wrote:Image


Which park is that, Soupy?

Right across the street from my apt. Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 349
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Where you live

Postby joels344 » 08 Apr 2017, 19:54

PresMuffley wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Where do you live man?


Deep South, U.S.A.

Sorry about being vague, but I've had some odd experiences with people online. And I sure don't want Jimbo popping in.


Hello, fellow deep southerner. :D

User avatar
martha
rambling rose
Posts: 5176
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:41
Location: Self-imposed exile.

Re: Where you live

Postby martha » 08 Apr 2017, 19:59

sloopjohnc wrote:
martha wrote:2. Religion. Everyone is assumed to be a Christian, the first question from neighbors was "what church do you go to?" Being non-religious (me), Atheist (Veronica) and theological noncognitivist (jeff) here was awkward initially, especially for my kid who got "outed" as an atheist at school by her school counselor at some diversity discussion with kids and was then told she would go to hell if she didn't believe in Jesus by bullies.


Man, that's terrible. On all our years on here together, I know you and your family have never lacked for courage of your conviction, which helps, but that's shitty.


Thanks. She was a trooper about it, just said she didn't believe in hell. But she lost her new best friend over it.

God that school just sucked. She had the worst time there. The whole community was pretty unpleasant. And the counselor was no help at all obviously.

The bullying began when she transferred in mid-march of second grade, on day one. I didn't know about the extent of the bullying until the end of summer when she was getting ready for the start of the new school year in third grade and suddenly asked if she could change her name or dye her hair because then "they might not recognize me". If she'd told me during summer I'd have switched schools for her. I told her that maybe she wouldn't have those kids in class and that she should try her best to make new friends and have a good year at school. So she went and had a good day so we thought everything was fine. But it wasn't.

We should have pulled her out of school, but we were told that it was better if she overcame the bullying by the school staff who wanted her to stay. And she stopped complaining so we thought things were okay.

Then after easter break we started to get calls from school about her being disruptive in class and doing strange things like standing on her desk with her fingers in her ears...we asked her but she said things were "fine." The school recommended psychological counseling for Veronica and suggested she might have autism or ADHD.

We were clueless about the intensity of what she was experiencing. We knew she was being bullied but hadn't understood the extent, because she didn't tell us. She told us after we finally pulled her out at the end of 3rd grade though. Man did she tell us! Pulling her out was the best course of action, but I wish we'd understood what she was experiencing better sooner. If she had told us about the specifics of her bullying before she got so depressed and worn down by it we could have done more. I failed her as a mom.

But she's doing better now. Fitting in better at the huge Junior High in another community after two years at a rural one room schoolroom to help her like school again. But yeah. It sucked. Thanks Sloop. That long story of woe and crap we dealt with is why I have never really managed to LOVE Montana. Maybe something like that could have happened anywhere, but the demographics here contributed to it and I've never been able to forgive the school in Whitefish or it's citizenry over it.
--m.

BCB CUP 2017 is on!
viewforum.php?f=58

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 36732
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Where you live

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 08 Apr 2017, 20:03

PresMuffley wrote:
Deep South, U.S.A.

And I sure don't want Jimbo popping in.




He doesn't venture that far South. Biker gangs who have his ass long before he crossed the Midwest.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 756
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Where you live

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 20:48

joels344 wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Where do you live man?


Deep South, U.S.A.

Sorry about being vague, but I've had some odd experiences with people online. And I sure don't want Jimbo popping in.


Hello, fellow deep southerner. :D


We should start a club of sorts. Maybe come up with a flag, some snazzy outfits...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 349
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Where you live

Postby joels344 » 08 Apr 2017, 21:09

PresMuffley wrote:
joels344 wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:
Deep South, U.S.A.

Sorry about being vague, but I've had some odd experiences with people online. And I sure don't want Jimbo popping in.


Hello, fellow deep southerner. :D


We should start a club of sorts. Maybe come up with a flag, some snazzy outfits...


Hmm, I believe this will work just fine. Glad it's big, really big. :mrgreen:

Image

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 756
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Where you live

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 21:40

Heritage not hate, brother!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 4794
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Where you live

Postby zoomboogity » 08 Apr 2017, 22:53

martha wrote:Maybe something like that could have happened anywhere, but the demographics here contributed to it and I've never been able to forgive the school in Whitefish or it's citizenry over it.

It could, and does, unfortunately. Just think of all the children who go through this and don't have parents like you to confide in. That's when they turn to celebrities for "role models," because they sure don't have any at home. I remember Veronica being a nice kid when we met up. With everything she's been put through since then, it's nice to know they didn't break her or turn her into one of them. She has you on her side, so she'll grow up knowing to trust her gut.
Image

"Quite."

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 756
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Where you live

Postby PresMuffley » 09 Apr 2017, 01:00

Veronica sounds cool as fuck. That shit she's been through should make for a damn fine novel one day.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
martha
rambling rose
Posts: 5176
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:41
Location: Self-imposed exile.

Re: Where you live

Postby martha » 09 Apr 2017, 10:09

Thanks guys.

Yeah she's a fantastic young woman. She is a quirky kid with distinctive tastes and personality..frankly like her parents she was definitely a weird kid, so I knew she'd experience some bullying, but the extent of what she went through (and I left out a lot of detail because it is blood boiling for me to discuss) just overwhelmed me as a parent. If only I had trusted my instincts over the administrators! I could have saved her so much pain. She still sees the world through a filter of what I call poop colored glasses now as a consequence of the bullying. She has a hard time trusting others, and is hypersensitive to others attitudes towards her to the point where she self sabotages things socially with her peers. She's depressive, and the bubbly happy joyful kid is MIA most days...but that could just be due to her being a tween now.

She struggles with the social stuff...she wanted me to homeschool her this last month because she's having issues socially again and the kid she considered her new bff at school isn't sitting with her at lunch anymore, but after all the crap she managed to deal with, I actually feel like she has the skills to navigate the shark infested hell that we call Jr high. The gal wasn't ostracizing her....V missed a bunch of school due to the flu, so her friend got chummy with some others and when V came back her friend had found a new group and a boyfriend... We sort of role played that out with her and she gets the reason behind her friends distance, but V isn't great at negotiating social stuff. If she were being bullied at this school, I'd consider home schooling, but this is normal social growing pains, and she needs to work through it without mommy intervening. Its hard for me to dial back the helicopter parenting where V is concerned, because she is pretty much the center of my universe, so hard though it is for me to send her into a situation she feels nervous and fearful about, I can't give her the out of Home Schooling right now, since it would do nothing to help her with social lessons. She has got to built some defenses from this BS...I have many of the same social neuroses so I'm all talk and no constructive advice though...

Academically she's doing fantastic. Straight 4's (exceeding standards) in everything but p.e. which is a 3 (proficient), she's a Mathlete, spelling bee champ, and the top violinist in her grade. I want her to recognize her strengths and successes rather than be preoccupied with social BS, but it's junior high...all she cares about is social stuff. Tweens are challenging.

I sure love her to bits though. And like I have said before, what doesn't kill us makes us spend years in cognitive behavioral therapy. She will be alright I hope, and her confidence is slowly returning.
--m.

BCB CUP 2017 is on!
viewforum.php?f=58

User avatar
fueryIre
Posts: 8281
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: Where you live

Postby fueryIre » 09 Apr 2017, 10:32

Have basically semi-retired to rural Ireland near where my Mum and Dad grew up. Belle and I have now been here for nearly four years after a 35- year career as an advertising copywriter and creative director that took me all over Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Once read somewhere that the average person will have eight addresses in their life. I've had 23 and moved countries eight times.

Having spent the bulk of the years since I left the UK in 1981 in tiny flats in Hong Kong, the five most enjoyable aspects about where I live are...

...the sheer space we have (our house is about three times the size of our last flat in Hong Kong) and comes with a massive garden Belle has now planned with all manner of trees and shrubs.

...the fact that in addition to the cat we brought with us from HK (JB, RIP), we can now keep a dog as well as two stray kittens who arrived at our kitchen window on horribly dark stormy nights over a year apart and somehow never left. After some initial teething problems, all three of them get on like the proverbial house on fire.

...location - the countryside is a 5-minute walk one way and our small (pop 5,000) local town is a 30-minute stroll the other way (about 5 mins in a car). We're also within easy reach of a beautiful country park and a long stretch of riverside when it's time to walk Xena (which judging from the pissed off look on her face it will be any minute now!)

...lovely neighbours. In HK, hardly anyone seems to speak to anyone else on their floor. Here, the area is so sparsely populated that pretty much everyone knows everyone else

...being able to light a real fire whenever the weather turns rainy or chilly
Image

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14022
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Where you live

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Apr 2017, 12:05

fueryIre wrote:Have basically semi-retired to rural Ireland near where my Mum and Dad grew up. Belle and I have now been here for nearly four years after a 35- year career as an advertising copywriter and creative director that took me all over Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Once read somewhere that the average person will have eight addresses in their life. I've had 23 and moved countries eight times.

Having spent the bulk of the years since I left the UK in 1981 in tiny flats in Hong Kong, the five most enjoyable aspects about where I live are...

...the sheer space we have (our house is about three times the size of our last flat in Hong Kong) and comes with a massive garden Belle has now planned with all manner of trees and shrubs.

...the fact that in addition to the cat we brought with us from HK (JB, RIP), we can now keep a dog as well as two stray kittens who arrived at our kitchen window on horribly dark stormy nights over a year apart and somehow never left. After some initial teething problems, all three of them get on like the proverbial house on fire.

...location - the countryside is a 5-minute walk one way and our small (pop 5,000) local town is a 30-minute stroll the other way (about 5 mins in a car). We're also within easy reach of a beautiful country park and a long stretch of riverside when it's time to walk Xena (which judging from the pissed off look on her face it will be any minute now!)

...lovely neighbours. In HK, hardly anyone seems to speak to anyone else on their floor. Here, the area is so sparsely populated that pretty much everyone knows everyone else

...being able to light a real fire whenever the weather turns rainy or chilly


Aye, but it's Roscommon :?








;)
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvenist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
fueryIre
Posts: 8281
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: Where you live

Postby fueryIre » 10 Apr 2017, 14:10

The Great Defector wrote:
fueryIre wrote:Have basically semi-retired to rural Ireland near where my Mum and Dad grew up. Belle and I have now been here for nearly four years after a 35- year career as an advertising copywriter and creative director that took me all over Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Once read somewhere that the average person will have eight addresses in their life. I've had 23 and moved countries eight times.

Having spent the bulk of the years since I left the UK in 1981 in tiny flats in Hong Kong, the five most enjoyable aspects about where I live are...

...the sheer space we have (our house is about three times the size of our last flat in Hong Kong) and comes with a massive garden Belle has now planned with all manner of trees and shrubs.

...the fact that in addition to the cat we brought with us from HK (JB, RIP), we can now keep a dog as well as two stray kittens who arrived at our kitchen window on horribly dark stormy nights over a year apart and somehow never left. After some initial teething problems, all three of them get on like the proverbial house on fire.

...location - the countryside is a 5-minute walk one way and our small (pop 5,000) local town is a 30-minute stroll the other way (about 5 mins in a car). We're also within easy reach of a beautiful country park and a long stretch of riverside when it's time to walk Xena (which judging from the pissed off look on her face it will be any minute now!)

...lovely neighbours. In HK, hardly anyone seems to speak to anyone else on their floor. Here, the area is so sparsely populated that pretty much everyone knows everyone else

...being able to light a real fire whenever the weather turns rainy or chilly


Aye, but it's Roscommon :?








;)


Yes, it never rains but it pours...
Image

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 23838
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: Up late at night again

Re: Where you live

Postby Nick » 10 Apr 2017, 14:42

Stretford, south Manchester. We bought a three-bedroomed Victorian town house about eighteen months ago, it needs a bit of work but nothing too big – or at least, we haven't yet found anything too big that needs doing.

It's an OK area to live in, not the nicest part of the city, but far from being the worst either. Our neighbours are fine and although we're on a fairly busy road, it's a solid house and we've got double-glazing so we hardly notice it. We've got decent public transport easily available, and I can commute to work in Salford in under an hour.

Manchester's a good city to live in, a variety of decent pubs & restaurants, plenty of access to culture including art galleries, theatres and music venues, and almost everybody plays Manchester these days, so we can see pretty much every touring band or artist we want to. And we're only half an hour from the city centre by public transport, or ten minutes' drive, so that's very convenient, plus we're not far from the suburb of Chorlton which has some good restaurants, although it is infested with hipster idiots. But Altrincham's not far the other way out of the city, and there are some nice places to go out there as well.

People are generally pretty friendly, and it's a place with a fascinating history. My wife's lived here since the mid-90s, I've been here about four and a half years. We won't stay for ever, but we’ll probably be here at least another half-dozen years or so, maybe a bit more.

Negative things? A lot of Manchester natives are hopelessly hung up on the city's musical past, especially obsessed with the whole Madchester era and Britpop. The whole lairy Manc wide-boy swagger thing gets on my nerves, although to be honest you don’t see that much of it these days.

I've very little interest in football, so I sometimes struggle with chatting about it, in Manchester it's probably the most common thing to make small talk about.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45220
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Where you live

Postby Quaco » 10 Apr 2017, 18:24

PresMuffley wrote:If I could move anywhere it would be northern Spain. I guess if I really wanted to I would move there now. I've never been married, I have no kids and my passport is valid. Problem is, I'm still attached to this place. I have roots here, and what would I do with my dog?

I'm probably missing something here. Why can't you bring your dog with you?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 57784
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Where you live

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Apr 2017, 18:26

Quacoan wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:If I could move anywhere it would be northern Spain. I guess if I really wanted to I would move there now. I've never been married, I have no kids and my passport is valid. Problem is, I'm still attached to this place. I have roots here, and what would I do with my dog?

I'm probably missing something here. Why can't you bring your dog with you?


Basque love dogs, I would think. What with all those sheep.
Everybody had a wet dream, Everybody saw the sunshine

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45220
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Where you live

Postby Quaco » 10 Apr 2017, 18:47

I live in Laurel Canyon, which is just up the hill from Hollywood. I like that about it -- it's not out in the sticks like Topanga, but it's still nice and leafy and quiet most of the time. Surely what attracted rock stars to it in the '60s, that it was away from the city but just a couple minutes to get back. Also why it became so popular and therefore, now, so expensive. We are kind of lucky in that our dwelling is just big enough and hidden enough not to be too pricey to live in. It's a bit like living in a troll house.

It's not as cool as it once was, because all the stars have moved away. But no creepy hangers-on or druggies (that I know of) now either! The locals are very suspicious of any irregularities. And it's still a beautiful place to sit outside or walk around.

The only down side to it is the constant construction and war with it locals are having. People are always trying to squeeze houses in small lots and on shaky hillsides, and the people who have been here forever naturally are trying to fight this.

I like it. The only reason I think of moving is not to get away from "the Canyon" or L.A., but just the States in general. More travel could be a solution, though that only makes it worse!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
fueryIre
Posts: 8281
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: Where you live

Postby fueryIre » 10 Apr 2017, 19:16

sloopjohnc wrote:
Quacoan wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:If I could move anywhere it would be northern Spain. I guess if I really wanted to I would move there now. I've never been married, I have no kids and my passport is valid. Problem is, I'm still attached to this place. I have roots here, and what would I do with my dog?

I'm probably missing something here. Why can't you bring your dog with you?


Basque love dogs, I would think. What with all those sheep.


Actually, I think you'll find that the sheep might be quite worried...
Image

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 38250
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Where you live

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 10 Apr 2017, 19:26

I took this picture yesterday, and feel it sums up my neighbourhood quite nicely:

Image
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 756
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Where you live

Postby PresMuffley » 10 Apr 2017, 20:44

sloopjohnc wrote:
Quacoan wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:If I could move anywhere it would be northern Spain. I guess if I really wanted to I would move there now. I've never been married, I have no kids and my passport is valid. Problem is, I'm still attached to this place. I have roots here, and what would I do with my dog?

I'm probably missing something here. Why can't you bring your dog with you?


Basque love dogs, I would think. What with all those sheep.


There's a fairly lengthy paperwork process to move with a pet to Spain from abroad (at least there was last time I checked). Plus I don't have a work visa, or any interest in obtaining one at the moment. Like I said, I'm good where I'm at right now.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Snarfyguy and 3 guests