Where you live

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
PresMuffley

Re: Where you live

Postby PresMuffley » 07 Apr 2017, 21:11

Goat Boy wrote:Where do you live man?

Deep South, U.S.A.

Sorry about being vague, but I've had some odd experiences with people online. And I sure don't want Jimbo popping in.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Apr 2017, 21:20

I live in a rented 17th-century cob house at the end of a lane in a village in Devon, just over a mile away from the nearest small town, and 9 from the nearest city (Exeter). There's half-a-dozen buses a day into Ex from the other end of my lane.
I love it here, mainly because it's home, but also because it's a pleasant village with a real community spirit and because its assimilated me in a way no other place has – I actually feel part of it – and because there's loads of walks and ever-changing scenes - currently it's all lambs, celandine, dandelions and the wonderful acid greens of opening leaves. It's a playground for me and the Dawg.
Nothing really pisses me off, although being a little closer to the friends of my youth (nearest one is in Cardiff) would be nice, as woulda decent phone and broadcast TV signal.
I've no desire to live anywhere else, but in my life I've had several different homes and environments, from innner citiy to outer boondocks, and always loved any I spent at least a year in. Living in a place you enjoy is fundamental, definitely, but I have a talent for finding the best of a place – or, more accurately, for adapting my vision to my circumstances – that means I can live more or less anywhere, at least for a while.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Apr 2017, 21:43

Rayge wrote:I live in a rented 17th-century cob house at the end of a lane in a village in Devon, just over a mile away from the nearest small town, and 9 from the nearest city (Exeter). There's half-a-dozen buses a day into Ex from the other end of my lane.
I love it here, mainly because it's home, but also because it's a pleasant village with a real community spirit and because its assimilated me in a way no other place has – I actually feel part of it – and because there's loads of walks and ever-changing scenes - currently it's all lambs, celandine, dandelions and the wonderful acid greens of opening leaves. It's a playground for me and the Dawg.
Nothing really pisses me off, although being a little closer to the friends of my youth (nearest one is in Cardiff) would be nice, as woulda decent phone and broadcast TV signal.
I've no desire to live anywhere else, but in my life I've had several different homes and environments, from innner citiy to outer boondocks, and always loved any I spent at least a year in. Living in a place you enjoy is fundamental, definitely, but I have a talent for finding the best of a place – or, more accurately, for adapting my vision to my circumstances – that means I can live more or less anywhere, at least for a while.

Are sleeveless t-shirts and flip flops out of place there?

I was kicked out of Sweden.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 07 Apr 2017, 21:48

souphound wrote:Image

Which park is that, Soupy?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Apr 2017, 21:56

sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:I live in a rented 17th-century cob house at the end of a lane in a village in Devon, just over a mile away from the nearest small town, and 9 from the nearest city (Exeter). There's half-a-dozen buses a day into Ex from the other end of my lane.

Are sleeveless t-shirts and flip flops out of place there?

I was kicked out of Sweden.

The tops would be OK, but the flip flops are a no-no unless you relish the feel of mud, or worse, squidging between your toes. On the West Coast here it rains. A lot.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Apr 2017, 22:18

I live in a suburb which essentially is one street curving across a little hill, just south of Campbelltown, 60 kilometers to the south-west of Sydney. It is located just outside a massive shopping mall (MacArthur Square, where I work) and en route to the area what is called the Scenic Hills- an area which has got beautiful little slopes, is a wonderful area to cycle in and very green. It is currently one of the areas which is drawing many families to live as there's been lots of houses being built here. There's scores of young families moving here, finding this an area where housing affordability is still reasonable even if the median price for a house has skyrocketed from about 400.000 Aussie dollar (when I moved here first, about 6 years ago) to close to three-quarters of a million now.

The south-west-area of Sydney has always been regarded as one of the high-crime and drug-infested areas in the past with a bad reputation but the influx of new families has reduced that a lot. There's some gang-related crime still here, bikie gangs and Middle-Eastern-type gangs that for the last few years have been popping bullets in houses of their opponents (though that is more towards the Bankstown-Auburn-areas where more of these gangs operate). Campbelltown itself, the main town has about 65.000 inhabitants and is a shitheap with a main street that looks so old and dilapidated, overrun by dollar shops and bargain centers, a nice park where junkies mostly hang out before going in to the local court of justice. Nightlife itself is mainly the pub which are filled with bogans and boofheads and young 'uns, often dressed in shorts and flip-flops- there's people also walking barefoot if they can!- There's a lot of people here who are doing it rough- unemployment is high, a lot of people that do work, work in the city and they deal with gnarling traffic all the way to there. The worst road is Narellan Road which is now under development which leads all the way from the Hills to the motorway and it is a bitch. Fortunately, I don't have/own a car and public transport is very good here. Everything I need is at walking distance.

My house is in a cul-de-sac, is spacious and has a wonderful look from my kitchen to Appin Road two kilometers away, encompassing Ambarvale which lies in a valley below. Sunrises are a dream here and the clear night skies with the many stars are fabulous. It's a ten minute walk to work which is ideal. Outside of a cinema, some shops and restaurants and a gym I go to here I don't have much in the form of connection with the area- I go to Sydney once a week to play volleyball and hang out for gigs and views there.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 00:46

Harvey K-Tel wrote:

The one for the upper-middle class breeding white folks, is my guess.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Apr 2017, 00:53

PresMuffley wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:

The one for the upper-middle class breeding white folks, is my guess.

Oh, you vaguely edgy WAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 03:32

Comments such as that are why you were ousted from my fan club.

Would 'child-rearing bourgeois crackers' have worked better for you?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Apr 2017, 05:41

I live on the fourth floor in a spacious for Tokyo "mansion" (condominium) in the center of Tokyo, which is a city/county/ state, not just a big city. That means that where we live is a little greener, a little less crowded than what you may imagine when you think of Tokyo. We don't have or need a car living about eight minutes walk from the train station. Our son thinks our town is a little "dasai" (square) not having hip clubs or eateries, but I like it just fine. There is a hipper and more lively town just four stops (15 minutes) down the line. There is a discount supermarket five minutes away, more markets, bakeries, fast food (McDonald's, KFC and Starbucks) and department stores bunched around the station and small funky restaurants, coffee shops and drinking dives scattered in alleyways all about us. My sports club, MEGALOS, is next door. My dentist is on the first floor of my building, a doctor two doors down and a hospital about ten minutes away. All medical services (minus 30% co-pay) are covered under the national health plan. A half hour train ride east will take me to the most bustling part of Tokyo and a half hour west will take me to the mountains where there are miles and miles of hiking paths. It is cherry blossom time now and 10 or so minutes away the trees are in full bloom in a very large park nationally recognized for its beauty at just this time of year.

There is no crime to speak of. In 30 years here no one has ever hassled me or ripped me off. A neighbor lady once asked me to turn down my stereo. (Yikes!) The drawback for me is that there is no weed, none. Nonetheless, I have no itching desire to live elsewhere.
I love you.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Apr 2017, 16:04

PresMuffley wrote:Comments such as that are why you were ousted from my fan club.

I only see one guy with a stroller.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Apr 2017, 16:08

sloopjohnc wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:Comments such as that are why you were ousted from my fan club.

And I don't think Canadians technically count as "crackers." Could be wrong, of course.
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 16:39

sloopjohnc wrote:

There's a lady in the back with a child in a blue shirt - also a pink kid's scooter thing off to the right.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 16:40

Still Baron wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

And I don't think Canadians technically count as "crackers." Could be wrong, of course.

Who cares about technicalities when tossing around racial epithets?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Apr 2017, 16:45

martha wrote:2. Religion. Everyone is assumed to be a Christian, the first question from neighbors was "what church do you go to?" Being non-religious (me), Atheist (Veronica) and theological noncognitivist (jeff) here was awkward initially, especially for my kid who got "outed" as an atheist at school by her school counselor at some diversity discussion with kids and was then told she would go to hell if she didn't believe in Jesus by bullies.

Man, that's terrible. On all our years on here together, I know you and your family have never lacked for courage of your conviction, which helps, but that's shitty.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 08 Apr 2017, 17:52

Still Baron wrote:And I don't think Canadians technically count as "crackers." Could be wrong, of course.

That may just be the American term. I think they''re called "saltines" or "biscuits" in other countries.

"Quite."

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Apr 2017, 18:04

Cranuckers...?

K

Postby K » 08 Apr 2017, 18:20

I love in Hale, Altrincham. A town 12 or so miles south of Manchester city centre.

Do you like it? What do you like about it?

Yes, I like it here. It's in a great location for things like the motorway and the tram into town. Although with two young kids we don't get out much but there are a lot of decent bars and places to eat and a struggling but family friendly football team too. We moved here in 2993 to be near the school I taught at. Although we didn't plan on making money from our move or anything like that out little terraced house is now worth upwards of £250,000. If we move to a bigger house we'll have to move to a different area - we cannot afford the next step up on the ladder. There's not a bad primary school in Trafford, I don't think, but I wouldn't put this down to the council who have been mostly incompetent in my time. It's more a result of the parents who live in the area (but see below) and it adds an interesting compilation to the idea of schools affecting who moves in to the area - I think the parents have had an effect on the schools too. Sadly, around 80% of secondary school kids are privately tutored - this could well be my retirement fund if I wished to go down that route.

What pisses you off?

Toby will love the fact that I live in a Tory stronghold. Graham Brady got over 50% of the vote last time. I meet a lot of short sighted Tories in the area and there are a lot of sharp elbows around. At every opportunity someone will be trying to ease their kid to the front of the queue, wherever the queue. You can't imagine the outcry when the local grammar school put plans in place to allow more pupils from low income families to attend.

Would you love to live somewhere else?

I love cities - New York in a heartbeat. Also Amsterdam or Barcelona.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Apr 2017, 19:28

zoomboogity wrote:
Still Baron wrote:And I don't think Canadians technically count as "crackers." Could be wrong, of course.

That may just be the American term. I think they''re called "saltines" or "biscuits" in other countries.

Honkies, the snappier cracker! :D
I love you.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 08 Apr 2017, 19:52

Harvey K-Tel wrote:

Right across the street from my apt. Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Return to “Nextdoorland”