S-Town Podcast

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

S-Town Podcast

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Apr 2017, 03:00

https://stownpodcast.org/

This has been getting a lot of hype, and after finishing it earlier this evening I can say it is more than worthy of all the praise. There are seven chapters that roughly add up to seven hours of very intense, hyper-emotional listening. I don't want to give anything away about the story, but I would just like to urge anyone here with the time and emotional stamina to please give this a listen. It's going to take me a while to digest, though it's safe to say this has been one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in some time. Check it out.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14211
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 02 Apr 2017, 08:26

I've heard the first 3 episodes and am enjoying it. I love all the people, except for those distant fuckin' relatives.
king of the divan

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Apr 2017, 16:09

Glad to see someone here is listening. I'm going to hold off commenting any further till you have finished the series.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14211
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 02 Apr 2017, 23:51

I really should be suspending judgement on everyone and everything until I've listened to it all.
king of the divan

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby PresMuffley » 03 Apr 2017, 01:34

This won't spoil anything. John's maze:

Image
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14211
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 04 Apr 2017, 02:51

Probably should reserve my judgement on everyone until I've finished the series.
king of the divan

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Apr 2017, 11:03

How far along are you now?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14211
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 06 Apr 2017, 11:06

Finished. It was like a Cormac McFuckinCarthy novel.
Last edited by mentalist (slight return) on 06 Apr 2017, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.
king of the divan

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Apr 2017, 12:20

SPOILERS!!!

The extreme emotions it brought about was certainly reminiscent of McCarthy - one of my favorite writers (my dog is named after a character of hers). I hate the idea of that dumb, rich hick asshole owning John's property now. And that he claims keeping the maze up will be too costly. Anyway, I feel John would have loved having his story presented in this manner. His suicide note was beautiful, but I really wish he was still around, alive. It does seem that the fire-gilding took a toll on him, though.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14211
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 06 Apr 2017, 13:04

I'm still at the stage of processing it all. It was very sensitively done. All my initial need to judge people fell away. Well except for a few.
king of the divan

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Apr 2017, 16:36

I completely understand. I'm still shook up about it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13474
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby Jimbo » 10 Apr 2017, 13:08

Just heard the first episode. The story is intriguing but it made me wonder if a few tantalizing emails from an eccentric redneck about an unsolved murder could set off a seven part public radio investigation how is it they can ignore all the juicy anomalies of 9/11 and other unsolved conspiracies.
I love you.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11689
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby Geezee » 10 Apr 2017, 15:02

Jimbo wrote:Just heard the first episode. The story is intriguing but it made me wonder if a few tantalizing emails from an eccentric redneck about an unsolved murder could set off a seven part public radio investigation how is it they can ignore all the juicy anomalies of 9/11 and other unsolved conspiracies.


In fairness, while 9/11 is obviously the last thing that needs further investigation, I was similarly puzzled by what on earth made them pick up on this particular storyline. I'm only an episode and a half in, so perhaps it does become a bit more clear.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13474
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby Jimbo » 10 Apr 2017, 15:33

Geezee wrote: 9/11 is obviously the last thing that needs further investigation.


I'm sorry but :roll:
I love you.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Apr 2017, 02:45

Geezee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Just heard the first episode. The story is intriguing but it made me wonder if a few tantalizing emails from an eccentric redneck about an unsolved murder could set off a seven part public radio investigation how is it they can ignore all the juicy anomalies of 9/11 and other unsolved conspiracies.


In fairness, while 9/11 is obviously the last thing that needs further investigation, I was similarly puzzled by what on earth made them pick up on this particular storyline. I'm only an episode and a half in, so perhaps it does become a bit more clear.


Brian picked up this story not knowing where it would take him or if it would ever become a finished product. That's how This American Life rolls. Many of the stories they start never pan out. Fortunately their budget allows them to only complete the ones that do. I think you'll understand why he stuck it out when you get a little deeper into it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13474
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: S-Town Podcast

Postby Jimbo » 11 Apr 2017, 02:52

PresMuffley wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Just heard the first episode. The story is intriguing but it made me wonder if a few tantalizing emails from an eccentric redneck about an unsolved murder could set off a seven part public radio investigation how is it they can ignore all the juicy anomalies of 9/11 and other unsolved conspiracies.


In fairness, while 9/11 is obviously the last thing that needs further investigation, I was similarly puzzled by what on earth made them pick up on this particular storyline. I'm only an episode and a half in, so perhaps it does become a bit more clear.


Brian picked up this story not knowing where it would take him or if it would ever become a finished product. That's how This American Life rolls. Many of the stories they start never pan out. Fortunately their budget allows them to only complete the ones that do. I think you'll understand why he stuck it out when you get a little deeper into it.


No doubt. I will certainly listen until ep. seven but this 9/11 thing is a fixation of mine (duh!) and it's just what struck me. Thanks for the recommendation.
I love you.


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest