Python order

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 5122
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Python order

Postby John aka Josh » 31 Mar 2017, 23:36

trans-chigley express wrote:
Jeemo wrote:I only saw the last series without Cleese as it was broadcast. My mum wouldn't let me see it before then. As things weren't routinely repeated I became a fan by listening to the records. When I did see the tv shows I was a bit disappointed as they hadn't the budget for tv to fully do the sketches justice. Whereas the albums were very well produced.

I always enjoyed hearing the sketches performed on the albums more the on TV. They just seemed funnier somehow.





Similarly Spike Milligan - the surreal aspects are much better imagined than portrayed on screen.
Image

Six String
Posts: 19673
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Python order

Postby Six String » 01 Apr 2017, 04:38

I'll take some deep fried python with a cucumber salad for a side. Thank yew. :D

User avatar
mission
Posts: 2010
Joined: 04 Apr 2008, 13:39

Re: Python order

Postby mission » 05 Apr 2017, 14:17

It may be because I laughed myself sick at Colin "Bomber" Harris - and saw in that character an essential part of Chapman that wildly appealed to me - or that his autobiography was the first meta-Python I read or paid attention to, but Graham Chapman is to me the Peter Cook of Python. I am genuinely surprised to see him at the bottom of all these lists.

He's the top. He's King Kong's penis.

The other chaps worked way too hard.
Good.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21456
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Python order

Postby Toby » 05 Apr 2017, 15:16

mission wrote: Graham Chapman is to me the Peter Cook of Python. I am genuinely surprised to see him at the bottom of all these lists.

He's the top. He's King Kong's penis.

The other chaps worked way too hard.


I felt he was the most naturally gifted actor of them all. Cleese seems to say though that he was wildly inefficient and this frustrated the rest of them.

User avatar
K
Posts: 5902
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Python order

Postby K » 05 Apr 2017, 15:35

You can see his alcoholism coming through in many of his performances.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 14693
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Python order

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Apr 2017, 22:49

Charlie O. wrote:The others have said too that Idle had a knack for script editing, and the TV shows tended to be crafted by him to a large degree (i.e., what order the sketches would go in, how things would transition, and so on).

And while Cleese has often complained that he did the lion's share of the actual writing in the Cleese-Chapman partnership, he credits Graham with having an unerring sense of what other people would find funny - as an example, he might never have finished writing the Cheese Shop sketch if Chapman hadn't been there assuring him that it worked.


Yeah I think there are important things about the partnership that aren't obvious to the viewer.

As such I must fall back to my fence sitting position of "Abstain, too close to call."
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.


User avatar
KATANGA MY FRIEND!
hounds people off the board
Posts: 12278
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Python order

Postby KATANGA MY FRIEND! » 09 Apr 2017, 09:12

Jimbo wrote:I shake my head here at how pettily you behave, how narrowly you think, at your black and white view of current events

User avatar
fueryIre
Posts: 8391
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: Python order

Postby fueryIre » 09 Apr 2017, 09:33

Spare a thought for poor old Marty Feldman who was doing much the same thing at the same time as the Pythons (and indeed was in At Last the 1948 Show and wrote much of the Four Yorkshireman sketch with various Python alumni. having gone to Hollywood and got royally fucked over, he's now barely remembered at all.

Was watching a load of his stuff on youtube last night and it's held up a lot, lot better than the large tranches of Python that have either been over-exposed or now look and sound badly dated.
Image

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14324
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Python order

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Apr 2017, 16:21

Cleese
Idle
Palin
Jones
Chapman
Gilliam
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
KATANGA MY FRIEND!
hounds people off the board
Posts: 12278
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Python order

Postby KATANGA MY FRIEND! » 11 Apr 2017, 16:23

fueryIre wrote:Spare a thought for poor old Marty Feldman who was doing much the same thing at the same time as the Pythons (and indeed was in At Last the 1948 Show and wrote much of the Four Yorkshireman sketch with various Python alumni. having gone to Hollywood and got royally fucked over, he's now barely remembered at all.

Was watching a load of his stuff on youtube last night and it's held up a lot, lot better than the large tranches of Python that have either been over-exposed or now look and sound badly dated.


The stuff I've seen is Keaton-influenced slapstick, mostly - lots of sight gags, pratfalls. Was there much more to him than that? I can imagine he got fucked over but I wouldn't have put him in the same class as any of the Pythons.
Jimbo wrote:I shake my head here at how pettily you behave, how narrowly you think, at your black and white view of current events

User avatar
fueryIre
Posts: 8391
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: Python order

Postby fueryIre » 11 Apr 2017, 18:02

DADDY-O wrote:
fueryIre wrote:Spare a thought for poor old Marty Feldman who was doing much the same thing at the same time as the Pythons (and indeed was in At Last the 1948 Show and wrote much of the Four Yorkshireman sketch with various Python alumni. having gone to Hollywood and got royally fucked over, he's now barely remembered at all.

Was watching a load of his stuff on youtube last night and it's held up a lot, lot better than the large tranches of Python that have either been over-exposed or now look and sound badly dated.


The stuff I've seen is Keaton-influenced slapstick, mostly - lots of sight gags, pratfalls. Was there much more to him than that? I can imagine he got fucked over but I wouldn't have put him in the same class as any of the Pythons.


He wrote an awful lot of stuff for other comedians in the 50s and 60s, notable examples including much of Round the Horne and the famous Corbett/Barker/Cleese Class sketch for the Frost Report
Image

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 37025
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Python order

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Apr 2017, 18:09

I recently listened to the entire Round The Horne and though it pains me to say it, the scripts got a bit stronger in the fourth series, after Feldman left.
Last edited by Charlie O. on 11 Apr 2017, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 37025
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Python order

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Apr 2017, 18:18

DADDY-O wrote:

The irony is that the six shows they did after Cleese left really were substantially different from what they had done in the first three series. I wonder if that would have been the case had he stayed. Maybe his absence pushed them to try other things to compensate. (Granted, Cleese had a hand in writing some of those later shows.)
Image


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests