hazing/pledge parties

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
//..ooOOoo..\\
hounds people off the board

hazing/pledge parties

Postby //..ooOOoo..\\ » 30 Mar 2017, 09:38

I watched this last night:

Obviously it was fictionalised, but I know that the sorts of ceremonies portrayed do go on in the US.

Has anyone any first-hand experience?

Why does this still happen? (I know it's probably a complex issue but when you read about deaths that result, you have to ask)
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Fonz

Re: hazing/pledge parties

Postby Fonz » 30 Mar 2017, 11:12

Pinto

Flounder
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 30 Mar 2017, 12:16

I've never understood the appeal of fraternities & sororities - but I didn't grow up as an entitled asshole either, so... to answer your question, no. I have not experienced crap like that. Though it isn't just the "Greeks" who partake in this kind of thing, I remember a few years back a college marching band in Florida got into a lot of trouble - I think a kid died. Never saw the appeal of being in a marching band either, though.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Mar 2017, 12:42

I feel we should force newbies to read Rothers prog recommendations as some kind of BCB hazing ceremony.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

//..ooOOoo..\\

Postby //..ooOOoo..\\ » 30 Mar 2017, 13:03

:lol:

Just listening to one minute of this shite is torture enough.

how far can YOU go? :)
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Mar 2017, 13:17

Fonz wrote:Pinto

Flounder

The Night of Seven Fires was the best!

I went to a military school for the 10th grade. I guess I was 15. The entire year I was known as a "new guy" and was that fucked up. If an old guy yelled "New guy!" we had to run to his room where we were told to go to the canteen to buy something for him or to shine his shoes, or to give him a massage. Our motto was: A sir new sir guy sir is sir for sir the sir old sir guys sir to sir wipe sir their sir feet sir on sir period sir sir.
I love you.

neville harp
cultural defective

Postby neville harp » 30 Mar 2017, 13:35

A Palin-less world should never be contemplated - cryogenics NOW!
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.

K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 30 Mar 2017, 13:36

I had to nuzzle Gash's pubey mound for three hours before he would let me through the front door ...
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

neville harp
cultural defective

Postby neville harp » 30 Mar 2017, 13:37

You should've tried the back...
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.

K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 30 Mar 2017, 13:40

It was occupied by someone else at the time ..
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 30 Mar 2017, 15:10

The Greek scene where I went to undergraduate ruled the campus, and (seemingly) out of the blue, most of my friends pledged during freshman year. They went through hell. My friends who went through it staggered around with thousand yard stares for much of the semester and I don't know how they didn't flunk out. The party oriented frat houses were pretty insane and most got kicked off campus and lost their charter shortly after I left. Someone actually made a documentary at the ATO house, but it was quashed, though I'm sure you can find it out there. "Frat House" is its inspired title.
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 30 Mar 2017, 15:29

I can only, perhaps unfairly, think of fraternities as clubs for rapists, jocks and other doughheads, but I never went to University so my perception is probably tainted by tv and movies. Still, even if I had gone to a University I would've stayed the hell away from 'em.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

//..ooOOoo..\\

Postby //..ooOOoo..\\ » 30 Mar 2017, 15:33

What I find interesting is that in the UK, this sort of shit goes on too, but undercover and very much frowned on. In the States it's kind of institutionalised. No-one - it seems - can stop these groups doing these idiotic 'ceremonies'.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Mar 2017, 15:39

I never encountered anything like this during my time at uni. Is there not a class difference over here? Boys from public school backgrounds doing this sorta thing etc?

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

//..ooOOoo..\\

Postby //..ooOOoo..\\ » 30 Mar 2017, 15:41

Goat Boy wrote:I never encountered anything like this during my time at uni. Is there not a class difference over here? Boys from public school backgrounds doing this sorta thing etc?

I think of rugby players.

//..ooOOoo..\\

Postby //..ooOOoo..\\ » 30 Mar 2017, 15:42

Wanking onto a cream cracker, or shoving one-pence-pieces down your foreskin.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 30 Mar 2017, 15:44

Wait, those are hazing rituals?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

//..ooOOoo..\\

Postby //..ooOOoo..\\ » 30 Mar 2017, 15:44

Sort of, yeah.

So I've heard.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 30 Mar 2017, 15:45

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I can only, perhaps unfairly, think of fraternities as clubs for rapists, jocks and other doughheads, but I never went to University so my perception is probably tainted by tv and movies. Still, even if I had gone to a University I would've stayed the hell away from 'em.

That's mostly true, but the other category is unrepentant party people. The drugs and booze floating around was pretty staggering. At my school, frat parties were the ONLY thing to do in the weekends. I went to them, mostly for free alcohol, but my social circle was defined by the fact that we weren't part of the Greek system.

The hazing was secret, the only reason I knew about it was that many of my best friends went through it. And they never told me specifics. It's the kind of thing you couldn't have proved without law enforcement surveillance.
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Mar 2017, 15:47

Dog Pickle 'BEAUT' wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I never encountered anything like this during my time at uni. Is there not a class difference over here? Boys from public school backgrounds doing this sorta thing etc?

I think of rugby players.

Aye, that too. There's also a public school element there too of course although not always

Return to “Nextdoorland”