The art thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
fueryIre
Posts: 8505
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: The art thread

Postby fueryIre » 29 Mar 2017, 19:18

algroth wrote:A few illustrations from Max Ernst's Une semaine de bonté:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


He looks to have been a big influence on the guy who designed the first couple of Penguin Cafe Orchestra records...
Image

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 29 Mar 2017, 20:46

I wouldn't be surprised if they were based on these.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2992
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: The art thread

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Mar 2017, 20:51

Patrick Caulfield - After Lunch
Image

Mervyn Peake (Yes, that Mervyn Peake) - The Glassblowers
Image
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2992
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: The art thread

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Mar 2017, 20:52

Arthur Hughes - Ophelia

Image

Adolph Valette - India House

Image
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2992
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: The art thread

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Mar 2017, 20:54

Walter Sickert - Self Portrait

Image
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 29 Mar 2017, 21:29

Very nice pieces, Fish! Ophelia and Sickert's self-portrait stand out especially.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: The art thread

Postby PresMuffley » 29 Mar 2017, 23:36

I suppose my favorite painter is Degas. All of his ballet paintings are rather gorgeous and I'm sure most everyone is familiar with at least a couple so I won't post them. It's hard to judge paintings via jpegs anyway. This is something a bit different from him that I wouldn't mind having hanging in the house:

Young Woman with Ibis

Image
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 3966
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: The art thread

Postby echolalia » 30 Mar 2017, 00:01

Image

He looks 1950s Hungarian, just after heading the ball - or maybe Ronaldo had a twin brother and they sold him on the internet when he was 3 (they do that in Madeira).

Further Spain should hang its head in shame at this abomination. Anyway, back to the good stuff!

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 30 Mar 2017, 00:12

echolalia wrote:Image

He looks 1950s Hungarian, just after heading the ball - or maybe Ronaldo had a twin brother and they sold him on the internet when he was 3 (they do that in Madeira).

Further Spain should hang its head in shame at this abomination. Anyway, back to the good stuff!


:lol: :lol: :lol: That is priceless.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 30 Mar 2017, 00:14

Antonio Berni

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 30 Mar 2017, 00:16

PresMuffley wrote:I suppose my favorite painter is Degas. All of his ballet paintings are rather gorgeous and I'm sure most everyone is familiar with at least a couple so I won't post them. It's hard to judge paintings via jpegs anyway. This is something a bit different from him that I wouldn't mind having hanging in the house:

Young Woman with Ibis

Image


Love me some Degas... In fact, this has been my desktop background for the last seven years or so:

Image

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 30 Mar 2017, 00:35

Chul Hyun Ahn

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 30 Mar 2017, 00:50

Shahzia Sikander

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: The art thread

Postby PresMuffley » 30 Mar 2017, 01:56

algroth wrote:Love me some Degas... In fact, this has been my desktop background for the last seven years or so:

Image


I used to have that as my desktop as well. Pretty sure I posted it on the refuge. Funny. I think you might have asked about it at the time.

That Antonio Berni stuff is great. I need to look into him.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 30 Mar 2017, 01:58

PresMuffley wrote:I used to have that as my desktop as well. Pretty sure I posted it on the refuge. Funny. I think you might have asked about it at the time.

That Antonio Berni stuff is great. I need to look into him.


Quite possibly where I got it from! :)

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 490
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: The art thread

Postby joels344 » 30 Mar 2017, 08:01

algroth wrote:Zdzisław Beksiński

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Thanks for sharing these. I absolutely love his haunting dystopian style.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 15725
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: The art thread

Postby Neige » 30 Mar 2017, 09:01

Wow, algroth, I told myself "well, ok" after you started with De Chirico, but then I got into a maelstrom of awesome stuff by fantastic artists I've never even heard of.

Thanks for sharing!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 16473
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: The art thread

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 30 Mar 2017, 11:24

Neige wrote:Wow, algroth, I told myself "well, ok" after you started with De Chirico, but then I got into a maelstrom of awesome stuff by fantastic artists I've never even heard of.

Thanks for sharing!


Same here.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9349
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: The art thread

Postby Samoan » 30 Mar 2017, 12:21

joels344 wrote:
algroth wrote:Zdzisław Beksiński.




Thanks for sharing these. I absolutely love his haunting dystopian style.

That is some seriously fucked up shit. I can't even stand to look at it.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4699
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: The art thread

Postby algroth » 30 Mar 2017, 14:15

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Neige wrote:Wow, algroth, I told myself "well, ok" after you started with De Chirico, but then I got into a maelstrom of awesome stuff by fantastic artists I've never even heard of.

Thanks for sharing!


Same here.


:D Glad you're enjoying so far!


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest