Smug motherfucker
13%
Smug son of a bitch
13%

Total votes: 8

Dr Markus

Re: Bill Maher

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Jun 2017, 19:53

Has Jon Steward ever fucked up, not in this specific way, but still fucked up. I think he's pretty much loved by 98%* of the left.

*not an approx or calculated number.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Jun 2017, 20:14

Horseshit! I know lefties who think he sold out years before he went off the air.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Jun 2017, 20:27

Easy tiger, I don't know everything about the man. That's why I'm asking.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Jun 2017, 20:39

Ask the 98% of the left you know. The 98% I know don't agree on too much except TRUMP being a douche.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Jun 2017, 20:45

Look at the * in my original post and read the line that follows it.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Jun 2017, 20:49

So, you don't know what you're talking about & you admit it?
Cool!
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Jun 2017, 20:50

I know people who absolutely detest Jon Stewart but many lefties I know dig the whole "detesting" thing.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Jun 2017, 21:22

sneelock wrote:So, you don't know what you're talking about & you admit it?
Cool!

:roll: I'm asking about the man, there's a difference. Cool?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Jun 2017, 23:09

sneelock wrote:I agree with almost every bad thing anybody in the thread has said but I think his show is important.

I was waiting for some "to go" food yesterday and had some time to kill. I flipped through the "Opinion" section of the L.A. Times.
there was an article about how you better not increase the taxes on the rich written by a banker. there was an article about how the TRUMP administrations cuts to public education were GOOD, much needed and did not go far enough. this column was written by someone who runs charter schools.

THIS is what passes for opinion in a large metropolitan news paper with an Ivory Tower Liberal Reputation. I think, as much as I think the guy is FAR too pleased with himself that we really need something like an HBO show with celebrities talking about their opinions. if nothing else, different opinions are represented. Say what you will about Ice Cube & Bill Maher - maybe it really was a "teaching moment". I don't think Bill learned jack shit but maybe some of the people I know who feel entitled to use that word gave it a second thought. I think things like that count for something.

Historically, the LA Times has never been a bastion of liberal reputation - The Chandlers were infamous for almost singlehandedly manipulating California conservative politics. Maybe their last couple ownerships have changed that reputation, but for years they stood for arch conservative views, editorially.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Jun 2017, 23:33

I don't remotely agree. I think the "times/mirror" era was very liberal. later, Kinsley and other Editors leaned left as did most of their voting guides. And compared to long time rival "The Herald Examiner" owned by the freaking Hearst's it looked pretty darned liberal. you take out a copy of the L.A.Times at a gun show and you'll see how much of a liberal reputation it still has. ;p
Last edited by Sneelock on 13 Jun 2017, 23:38, edited 4 times in total.
uggy poopy doody.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Jun 2017, 23:34

So people watch Bill Maher then?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Jun 2017, 23:35

they watch him when he steps in it.
uggy poopy doody.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 14 Jun 2017, 00:05

Still Baron wrote:So people watch Bill Maher then?

Ohhhh, not a fan? Controversial!
Look he's a loud outspoken voice against Trump
Love him or hate him, you need voices on your side right now.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Jun 2017, 00:10

sneelock wrote:I don't remotely agree. I think the "times/mirror" era was very liberal. later, Kinsley and other Editors leaned left as did most of their voting guides. And compared to long time rival "The Herald Examiner" owned by the freaking Hearst's it looked pretty darned liberal. you take out a copy of the L.A.Times at a gun show and you'll see how much of a liberal reputation it still has. ;p

Hmm, that's not how David Halberstam portrayed the paper and the family who owned it.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Jun 2017, 00:12

sneelock wrote:I don't remotely agree. I think the "times/mirror" era was very liberal. later, Kinsley and other Editors leaned left as did most of their voting guides. And compared to long time rival "The Herald Examiner" owned by the freaking Hearst's it looked pretty darned liberal. you take out a copy of the L.A.Times at a gun show and you'll see how much of a liberal reputation it still has. ;p

I don't think you can judge a paper's liberal or conservative qualities by a group with fairly extreme or conservative views. That's like saying ask a group of revolutionaries how liberal it is - they'd probably agree with the gun show folks.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 14 Jun 2017, 00:28

I guess it depends on when you cut your political teeth. Mine came in during Watergate. The Chandler's were certainly thick with the Nixons but their writers weren't. In fact, there was a LOT of pro-McGovern op/ed in the 72 election. My Dad was all-in for Nixon so he railed against that stuff.
uggy poopy doody.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 14 Jun 2017, 01:35

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Still Baron wrote:So people watch Bill Maher then?

Ohhhh, not a fan? Controversial!
Look he's a loud outspoken voice against Trump
Love him or hate him, you need voices on your side right now.

I wasn't trying to be controversial. I don't even know what channel he's on or when. I never hear anyone talk about him, except Markus. As for your second point, if he's a loud, outspoken voice against Trump, great, but he's hardly a voice in the wilderness. The coverage of Trump is overwhelmingly negative, all the time. And rightfully so.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 14 Jun 2017, 01:43

Still Baron wrote:I wasn't trying to be controversial. I don't even know what channel he's on or when.

Sorry, I was sensing sarcasm but I was wrong. He's HBO and Youtube. He might not be to everyones taste but right now you need every unguarded voice in your arsenal to bring down this cunt.

Return to “Nextdoorland”