Mp3 player for kids..?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
K

Mp3 player for kids..?

Postby K » 13 Mar 2017, 22:57

OK. I think what I want is impossible but here goes.
My daughter would quite like something to listen to music on for her 6th birthday.
I've considered a Sony walkman- still iconic but I'm not totally sure about the volume limiting- I don't want my daughter screwing up her hearing over the next few years.
So ideally I want something with speakers- perhaps she can play via a USB stick but the cheap ones just allow her to play, you can't choose what you want.
More costly ones will link wirelessly to our music collection, but I'm sure she won't want to be scrolling through all my music just to find her Little Mix tracks.
Maybe a Spotify account but to play on what?

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome..
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

PresMuffley

Re: Mp3 player for kids..?

Postby PresMuffley » 13 Mar 2017, 23:05

Any older model smartphones around the house? Recycle as a new gift.

But never mind me. I don't have kids.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Mar 2017, 05:13

Sing to your child.
I love you.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 14 Mar 2017, 16:39

Get her an Electric Banana.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 14 Mar 2017, 19:32

K wrote:OK. I think what I want is impossible but here goes.
My daughter would quite like something to listen to music on for her 6th birthday.
I've considered a Sony walkman- still iconic but I'm not totally sure about the volume limiting- I don't want my daughter screwing up her hearing over the next few years.
So ideally I want something with speakers- perhaps she can play via a USB stick but the cheap ones just allow her to play, you can't choose what you want.
More costly ones will link wirelessly to our music collection, but I'm sure she won't want to be scrolling through all my music just to find her Little Mix tracks.
Maybe a Spotify account but to play on what?

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome..

Yeah I wanted to protect Veronica's ears too and did not want her to wear headphones all the dang time before she was 12 either, so I get your concerns.

They do make kid safe headphones that are volume limited but if the noise IRL is high you can't compensate at all to adjust above a set limit, plus they have easily broken fiddly wires as most headphones do and kids and fiddly wires = having to replace them all the time.... so that didn't always work for me.

Now that she's older, V has a smart phone and a MP3 Karaoke machine but before that she had other options.

Does your kiddo need it to be portable?

If so, as stated above an old phone is great for that! Or they make cheap portable mp3 players and speaker sets. Veronica had a purple Tomameri mp3 player for a while, but she prefered the interface of our old cell phone, so it never got much use.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomameri-Portabl ... mp3+player

We paired both of those with a cheap set of speakers from the drugstore similiar to these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/XMI-Portable-S ... 66&sr=1-14

If it doesn't need to be portable, I really recommend a CD/MP3 boombox. When Veronica was about 6 we went with a little boombox from Suzuki that played CD's and CD-MP3 and had a USB slot to pair with an MPR player or thumb drive... pretty similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suzuki-Boombox ... DXFS2XDG3K

But Veronica's current favorite thing is to pair her smartphone (or my old phone which is loaded with Mp3's) or the tablet via the bluetooth connection with her Karaoke machine.

So, if you are willing to pay a bit more, I would recommend a karaoke style-mp3 player because she and her friends will have a freaking blast with it!

We bought this one on Amazon this past Christmas and it has been a GREAT purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Memorex-MKSSS3-K ... ds=karaoke

When friends come over she streams YouTube and NicoNico videos from her phone or tablet on the karaoke machine for an impromptu dance party with friends and it's always a big hit with the group of girls... Plus it has an input so she can plug in her Yamaha keyboard or my electric guitar to it and rock out. It's great. I got it on a lightning sale for under $50 this past Christmas and it has paid for itself many times over in the amount of fun she's had with it. Her friends LOVE it. Now she wants an electric violin now to use with it next.
--m.

BCB CUP 2017 is on!
viewforum.php?f=58

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Mar 2017, 20:32

I bought one of these cheap HccToo mp3 players for my son a couple of years ago: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HccToo-Portabl ... +bluetooth

I'm not sure if that's the exact model, but for the cash I can't complain. It does have pretty good battery life, even when blue-toothing, 16GB of memory is more than you'll ever need. You can create playlists, shuffle, all that stuff. I got a cheap-ish Bush bluetooth speaker to go with it, I think it cost about £40 for the two together.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

K

Postby K » 14 Mar 2017, 21:31

Great ideas from you both. I think the Bluetooth player and speakers will be the winner here even if it means my house flooded with the sound of Katy Perry.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Return to “Nextdoorland”