Your ultimate job?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rayge

Re: Your ultimate job?

Postby Rayge » 16 Mar 2017, 00:28

Aristocrat (retd.)
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Mar 2017, 00:29

Aristocracy is a state of mind.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Mar 2017, 00:32

Travel writer. Or any other job what would allow me to travel to places I want to go on someone else's dime.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Mar 2017, 00:35

PresMuffley wrote:Aristocracy is a state of mind.

While I would not gainsay that (there's very little that isn't a state of mind in my cosmology), over here it is – or at least was – a lifestyle and occupation, one that I was born for, but unfortunately not into
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Mar 2017, 00:54

I want to get paid for telling people what they should do.

"This cherry pie is so good you should open a cafe. Five dollars please."
I love you.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 16 Mar 2017, 14:32

PresMuffley wrote:What about adapting novels into screenplays? Ever seen Kaufman's Adaptation ?

Yeah I'd be okay at that too. Where I get pleasure is from taking something and making it better. I suck at native creativity, but I can make other people's stuff better with ease. I had long thought I should have been a publishing editor, but that ship has sailed. Adaptations would be a similar task to script doctoring, the difficulty always being translating the cerebral richness of a novel to the the visual fluidity of film. I'd enjoy that process probably. The biggest hurdle to either venture is that I've never had one of my screenplays produced so I have no street cred to speak of in the world of screenwriting, and I've no published works to show my abilities. I've never tried though to get anything produced. The closest I came was pitching a TV series to a producer I knew over drinks -- they liked the idea, and said "sounds good, get me a treatment and three scripts for it and I'll shop it around for you..." and of course, I never did...that was 2003, and I had my kid 14 months later and life just sort of superseded that goal. I became a stay at home mom and that's been my focus for the last dozen years...now that the kid's in junior high I'm interested in seeing if my career goals are remotely salvageable or if I'm doomed to working shit jobs like Walmart until I die...
--m.

BCB CUP 2017 is on!
viewforum.php?f=58

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Mar 2017, 14:34

Landscape photographer
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 16 Mar 2017, 14:49

I did once apply for my ultimate job: jet-setting, international playboy.
I failed the medical though.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 16 Mar 2017, 15:02

Allow me to post a bit OT, but not really:

when cycling to the library this morning, I thought about this thread.

Which job would I, with the benefit of hindsight, and with all of life's experiences that I went through, now aim for, would I be 18 or 20 again?

My thoughts: psychiatrist, or vicar - which in essence is the same.

Odd, and nice.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Mar 2017, 15:07

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:

How is a psychiatrist similar to a vicar?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 16 Mar 2017, 15:32

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:

How is a psychiatrist similar to a vicar?

I think they both deal with issues that are essentially inexplicable and un-graspable (?).

Humans aren't capable of perceiving a (or the) whole of life. This is an immense reservoir of experiences, impressions, stories, emotions, moments of happiness, tragidies, dullness, times of being with others, times of being terribly lonely, and all things in between).

A psychiatrist and a vicar try to take in what they can of another person's (couple's, family's) 'whole', and then attempt to make sense of it all. And hopefully they can, being the 'collectors' of those 'wholes' of many different people, be of some good advice to people who seek emotionel help.

A vicar in my view is not someone who imposes laws and commands onto others, orders out of the Big Book, nor is she/he someone who instills fear and awe into people.

Somewhat analogous: a psychiatrist shouldn't be a distributor of medication alone, not by a long shot. Nor shoud she/he act as an authority, and never should a patient be declared 'sane at last', if this patient duly takes his meds and acts ('performs') in ways that the doctor deems 'good', or 'healthy'.

I hope I could get something across about a topic that doesn't lend itself to a few quick explanatory sentences, about things that so often escape our facilities in language anyway.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Mar 2017, 15:57

I would like to be a writer for Asylum Studios. I'd spend the day thinking ideas for goofy, hybrid monster/disaster movies, knowing that when they get greenlit they are guaranteed to star some 80's-era pop star like Debbie Gibson or former cast member of "Beverly Hills 90210" and get played in perpetuity on the Syfy Network. Some ideas I have in development: Mega-Narwhal vs. Mutant Pufferfish. Zombie Elves. Asteroid Strike: Disneyland. Radioactive Pitbull Invasion.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 16 Mar 2017, 16:01

pcqgod wrote:I would like to be a writer for Asylum Studios. I'd spend the day thinking ideas for goofy, hybrid monster/disaster movies, knowing that when they get greenlit they are guaranteed to star some 80's-era pop star like Debbie Gibson or former cast member of "Beverly Hills 90210" and get played in perpetuity on the Syfy Network. Some ideas I have in development: Mega-Narwhal vs. Mutant Pufferfish. Zombie Elves. Asteroid Strike: Disneyland. Radioactive Pitbull Invasion.

:lol:

Superb!

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Mar 2017, 16:29

martha wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:What about adapting novels into screenplays? Ever seen Kaufman's Adaptation ?

Yeah I'd be okay at that too. Where I get pleasure is from taking something and making it better. I suck at native creativity, but I can make other people's stuff better with ease. I had long thought I should have been a publishing editor, but that ship has sailed. Adaptations would be a similar task to script doctoring, the difficulty always being translating the cerebral richness of a novel to the the visual fluidity of film. I'd enjoy that process probably. The biggest hurdle to either venture is that I've never had one of my screenplays produced so I have no street cred to speak of in the world of screenwriting, and I've no published works to show my abilities. I've never tried though to get anything produced. The closest I came was pitching a TV series to a producer I knew over drinks -- they liked the idea, and said "sounds good, get me a treatment and three scripts for it and I'll shop it around for you..." and of course, I never did...that was 2003, and I had my kid 14 months later and life just sort of superseded that goal. I became a stay at home mom and that's been my focus for the last dozen years...now that the kid's in junior high I'm interested in seeing if my career goals are remotely salvageable or if I'm doomed to working shit jobs like Walmart until I die...

I think helping to raise a daughter is much more important than artistic endeavors, so kudos to you. I'm sure you're a great mother. You're also way too smart to be working a shit job. I have a lot to say about this, but I'm not comfortable saying it at the moment for some reason.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 17 Mar 2017, 08:24

What was the TV series idea? I promise not to steal it.

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 17 Mar 2017, 10:03

Prison Officer in a jail populated by Nigel Farage, Paul Nuttall, Katie Hopkins, Kelvin McKenzie, Paul Dacre, Piers Morgan and Boris. I'd be motivated as fuck.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 17 Mar 2017, 10:26

HarryIrene wrote:Prison Officer in a jail populated by Nigel Farage, Paul Nuttall, Katie Hopkins, Kelvin McKenzie, Paul Dacre, Piers Morgan and Boris. I'd be motivated as fuck.

:lol:

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 18 Mar 2017, 15:16

Being a personal walking companion might be fun part-time, especially if you had interesting seniors who were just looking to get out of the house and chat with someone.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 18 Mar 2017, 16:35

PresMuffley wrote:Being a personal walking companion might be fun part-time, especially if you had interesting seniors who were just looking to get out of the house and chat with someone.

...and mention you in their last will?

(sorry, couldn't resist; many a good crime story started with such premises...)

:oops:

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 18 Mar 2017, 16:46

I do like antique furniture.

Return to “Nextdoorland”