Rebellious Arcade

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Rebellious Arcade

Postby Toby » 06 Nov 2017, 10:39

I ended up having to wait 12 hours for my PS4 to install an update to play CofD WW2 :cry

Re: Wolfenstein - I like my Nazis as they probably were, not souped up undead nonsense.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Nov 2017, 13:56

Toby wrote:I ended up having to wait 12 hours for my PS4 to install an update to play CofD WW2 :cry

Re: Wolfenstein - I like my Nazis as they probably were, not souped up undead nonsense.

Nah, that's the old Wolfenstein canon. This new one is an alternate history where the nazis ended up winning the war using giant mechs and a base on the moon. 20 years later you lead a resistance against them.

It's so gloriously silly you expect Udo Kier to appear and start goose-stepping to Laibach's “B Mashina” at some point. Great stuff.

I don't have a problem with normal WW2 games, I just have an absolutely huge problem with CoD and Activision.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Nov 2017, 13:59

driftin wrote: This new one is an alternate history where the nazis ended up winning the war using giant mechs and a base on the moon. 20 years later you lead a resistance against them.

That's my point - I don't like silly stuff like that.

I'm sure there are huge issues with Activision and CofD (I really despise the modern CofD theme) but I like shooting Nazis in Normandy.

algroth

Postby algroth » 21 Nov 2017, 13:59

Finished Ori and the Blind Forest just yesterday. From a gameplay standpoint it was very enjoyable, I really liked the way it conveyed information to the player by means of early, "simple" logic puzzles that subtly illustrated how to combinate new abilities gained. From an aesthetic standpoint it's lovely, full of lush visuals and a wonderful score... The one thing I feel keeps it from greatness overall is that personally at least I was not as compelled with the story itself - despite a lovely intro and what seemed like what would be a very touching personal story, in the end I felt like a lot of the beats and turns ran in parallel with the actual gameplay or Ori's journey, especially as seen through the end, where it's not even you who brings Naru back to life and truly saves the Forest and so on. From the perspective of a Ghibli enthusiast, I also feel it falls a bit into the Pixar problem of wearing the visual/tonal influence on its sleeve but capturing none of the actual content that makes the studio's films more than just family entertainment - it all amounts to a bit of fluff in the end, but as far as entertainment goes it's damn good one all the same (and still probably a better wannabe-Ghibli than Pixar).

joels344

Postby joels344 » 28 Nov 2017, 21:16

$0.99 on Steam? I will, thank you.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 28 Nov 2017, 21:21

joels344 wrote:$0.99 on Steam? I will, thank you.

I always thought the original was a lot better. The sequel - despite all the accolades it still receives - lost a lot of the magic with its setting and the enemy just being faceless soldiers, though it did have its moments.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 29 Nov 2017, 00:07

PENK wrote:
joels344 wrote:$0.99 on Steam? I will, thank you.

I always thought the original was a lot better. The sequel - despite all the accolades it still receives - lost a lot of the magic with its setting and the enemy just being faceless soldiers, though it did have its moments.

You wouldn’t be the only one. I’ve heard from that some of my good gaming friends as well. Perhaps I should revisit the first one. I mean, for such a cheap price it’s not that my wallet will take a hit or anything. :D

I’m currently loving this one for the engaging story, characters, immersive atmosphere, physics, and interesting game level design. And the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator is amazingly fun to play around with.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Dec 2017, 10:24

I agree with Joel, it's still an excellent game that has aged well. The atmosphere is thick, the level design is clever and varied, the characters and story are compelling, and most importantly the mechanics are still fun.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Dec 2017, 10:31

Here's a game with a really interesting plot, a cast of teenage characters that behave rather stupidly and nonchalantly to gigantic paranormal events, lots of gorgeous music inspired by progressive electronic, tape loops, and shortwave radio, and some exquisite hand-drawn visuals all wrapped around one of the most tedious gameplay experiences you could have. I want to like it and I want to replay it for the multiple endings but I just don't think I'll be able to handle it.

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Dec 2017, 01:37

Oh, now I get it. Yeah, people are pretty much correct about this.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Dec 2017, 09:09

Oh I've just started that myself. The main protagonist is annoying - they've melded Snake Plissken with Philip Marlowe - but apart from that it's good.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Dec 2017, 13:39

It’s really good. Took me about a year to finish and I still have the bonus content to do.
It’s actually got intelligence and self-awareness which is rare in that kind of game, and there are compelling and knotty plots and varied quests and enemies rather than just go-here-bash-this-fetch-prize things. And the characters often seem like real people rather than scripts there to give you quests.
And the gameworld is pretty and convincing, though a bit characterless outside the big settlements - scrubby little hamlets and dirt tracks are perhaps more realistic than fantastical elven temples and whatnot, but they get a bit samey.
The card game is bloody addictive too!
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.