Rebellious Arcade

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: Rebellious Arcade

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Sep 2017, 09:12

driftin wrote:
algroth wrote:You guys know the game better than I do, but I reckon a pretty good use of Sombra's ult is as a disengage or counter-engage too: hack them as the enemy commits into a teamfight, thus stopping their primary damage/engage tools while your team is already locked in confrontation with the enemy. Or quite simply as a denial - stop Mercy's rez or whatnot.

Yes, that's pretty much what you're supposed to do but mechanically she is one of the more difficult heroes to play because of timing, positioning, ult and cooldown economy, a small health pool etc. To make things even harder is coordinating with your team, especially if you're solo-queuing as Fish does. That's why I was saying it's impressive to pick Sombra as your go-to carry hero.

As a solo player, she's just great for breaking down the enemy when they're hunkered down as a group. I always find her ultimate a bit underwhelming, her main value is as a nuisance. She's great for appearing behind someone, shooting them many times in the head, and teleporting. The added bonus being that you can often pick the right target, because she can see the injured ones through walls. Some of the opposition always break away to chase her down.

In Total Mayhem I always revert to Roadhog in the same scenario, much more fun to jump in, get blasted to bits and stand there chucking a chain around.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

driftin

Postby driftin » 15 Sep 2017, 10:28

Darkness_Fish wrote:
driftin wrote:
algroth wrote:You guys know the game better than I do, but I reckon a pretty good use of Sombra's ult is as a disengage or counter-engage too: hack them as the enemy commits into a teamfight, thus stopping their primary damage/engage tools while your team is already locked in confrontation with the enemy. Or quite simply as a denial - stop Mercy's rez or whatnot.

Yes, that's pretty much what you're supposed to do but mechanically she is one of the more difficult heroes to play because of timing, positioning, ult and cooldown economy, a small health pool etc. To make things even harder is coordinating with your team, especially if you're solo-queuing as Fish does. That's why I was saying it's impressive to pick Sombra as your go-to carry hero.

As a solo player, she's just great for breaking down the enemy when they're hunkered down as a group. I always find her ultimate a bit underwhelming, her main value is as a nuisance. She's great for appearing behind someone, shooting them many times in the head, and teleporting. The added bonus being that you can often pick the right target, because she can see the injured ones through walls. Some of the opposition always break away to chase her down.

Her ultimate is one of the most powerful in the game but it really needs to be combined with Zarya's so you can wipe everyone out. Obviously it requires a lot of teamwork. I should play her more often but I always do crap. Not to slag your skill rating off or anything but I usually play against high platinums and diamonds and the instant I come out of stealth someone will usually notice this and then half the enemies focus me, and then reposition themselves so that they're basically countering me. I'm probably just teleporting and running in at the wrong time and place but in order to play someone like that against enemies that are platinum and above you have to be incredibly coordinated and very mechanically skilled. To me she's up there with Doomfist, Genji, Widowmaker, Tracer, and Ana as the most difficult to play. They're all heroes that if you're good and you use a lot of teamwork to focus you can devastate the enemies but if you're not it's best to play a DPS that's less risky.

In Total Mayhem I always revert to Roadhog in the same scenario, much more fun to jump in, get blasted to bits and stand there chucking a chain around.

Now there's a game mode where Sombra is pretty much essential because it places the focus on using abilities but she takes that away from everyone and with a massive health pool there's not much risk in just running at people and hacking them. Roadhog is amazing right now in Total Mayhem as you can just disrupt them constantly with your hook and always have full health, especially with the ability to move and take less damage while healing. Other amazing heroes in that game mode are Doomfist, Zarya, Winston, Lucio, and Mei. If you're attacking and they have a Mei it can be incredibly difficult to even get past the first point as she'll just constantly heal herself, and wall you off but if there's no Sombra on your team, switch to her and you'll find your team have an easier time. I also find it's probably good to have someone like D Va, Pharah, Hanzo, or anyone with a very powerful destructive ultimate that can combine with Zarya's so you can get rid of everyone at once otherwise you'll be contesting on the payload or control point forever. I've literally had games which went into Overtime for 20 minutes.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Sep 2017, 19:43

I never really got into Prey and instead went back to The Witcher 3. I still haven't finished it: it's too bloody big! I think I'm approaching the endgame (though I then have the DLC to get stuck into), but have been too busy trying to get really good at the card game and collect all the special cards (I already missed some apparently due to getting barred from a pub somewhere!).
I like this kind of game where there's lots of adventure and exploration and unlike other similar games, the plot of Witcher 3 keeps my attention and the dialogue is gritty and witty, with strong characters and a good awareness and subversion of genre tropes.

Only thing is, they released the new Dishonored game today and I've got that cued up as well... good job I'm on leave and my daughter still takes two 90-minute naps a day!
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

driftin

Postby driftin » 17 Sep 2017, 08:22

PENK wrote:I never really got into Prey and instead went back to The Witcher 3. I still haven't finished it: it's too bloody big! I think I'm approaching the endgame (though I then have the DLC to get stuck into), but have been too busy trying to get really good at the card game and collect all the special cards (I already missed some apparently due to getting barred from a pub somewhere!).
I like this kind of game where there's lots of adventure and exploration and unlike other similar games, the plot of Witcher 3 keeps my attention and the dialogue is gritty and witty, with strong characters and a good awareness and subversion of genre tropes.

I tried the Prey demo on PS4 and was massively disappointed. I didn't think it was mechanically good at all.

The Witcher 3 is something I bought on the day of release and played for about 5 hours solidly but then stopped. I really enjoyed it but I'm afraid to go back because I know how much of a time vacuum it is, but I know it will become one of my favourite games despite the issues I had with it - mainly the combat which I found a little underwhelming and convoluted.

Only thing is, they released the new Dishonored game today and I've got that cued up as well... good job I'm on leave and my daughter still takes two 90-minute naps a day!

I loved Dishonored 1 and saw 2 on sale for £5 so I bought it. All I've done is installed it but I've not even opened the application yet. There's too many games :(

driftin

Postby driftin » 18 Sep 2017, 12:04

I'm quite impressed by this. It takes the best bits of old school FPS shooters and modernises them. There's labyrinthine levels, health and armour packs, ridiculously oversized weapons, and a gloriously OTT metal soundtrack straight from the 90s and it's all with very high production values and the right modern elements. The story is an utterly ludicrous alternate timeline involving very camp space Nazis taking over the world after winning in 1945, with an underground resistance trying its best to take everything back. Despite the silliness it somehow manages to actually tell a fairly compelling story with interesting characters and dialogue, give some insight into Nazi war crimes and ideologies, and through the eyes of the protagonist make a comment about how players of meathead shooters would actually interact in a modern context. It balances stupidity with seriousness very well.

I do have some complaints about it though. The cut scenes are pre-rendered rather than in-engine so they're quite jarring. Also the editing and visual storytelling in them isn't quite up to par with proper filmmaking. The colour palette is a little muted. I know the environments are supposed to be grim and based on a fascist state but at least try to add a bit life into the greys, blues, blacks, and browns. The vehicle and turret sections are quite piss poor. The AI is pretty bad. Even on the highest difficulty they'll walk into walls, ignore comrades' dead bodies, and sometimes just bug out. The stealth mechanics are okay but very rudimentary. The sequel (which comes out next month) could learn from something like Dishonored. I'm playing on console which means I have to take my right thumb of the right analogue stick in order to press Square to pick up items from the ground, which interrupts the flow but I think on PC this isn't a problem. I'm also playing on the hardest difficulty and it's limiting my movement thanks to the high damage I'm receiving. I think when I play this at a lower difficulty (and I will because I want all the trophies) it'll become a much more fluid and fun game, one where I can run around doing whatever I want. I'm still enjoying it at Uber difficulty but I do think it's completely different game to what the developers wanted.

Don't let my excessive whining put you off though. I really recommend this. It's nice to see a 90s-influenced game like this and it's even nicer to see it's getting sequels. I'm happy to see that even though Call of Duty and Battlefield with their emphasis on multiplayer and very poor tacked on campaigns have been dominating the market for the last decade, there has been a resurgence in shooters going back to the old school ways.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 18 Sep 2017, 12:26

I might get Resident Evil 4 for PS4 as I loved it on the Xbox. But things like Witcher 3 and all that, they're just far too big and expansive for me. I can only really justify about an hour on the PS4 at a time, especially as I don't want my son to get too into it...

driftin

Postby driftin » 29 Sep 2017, 15:18

Loving this. One hundred people all jump onto an island and have to scramble for items and kill each other, the play area gets smaller and smaller (if you go out of the area you die), until one person or team remains and they're the winner. It's basically Battle Royale (as the title suggests) but without the ultra violence, melodrama, or screeching Japanese girls. It's best played with friends.

Unfortunately it is littered with bugs, the controls are very unintuitive, and there is only one map but since it is early access I'm hoping these things will change in the future and you can't really complain too much when it's completely free.

driftin

Postby driftin » 25 Oct 2017, 14:26

Completed 100%.

Best game of all time.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 25 Oct 2017, 18:18

Star Wars Battlefront II looks like the Star Wars game I've been dreaming about since I was about 10.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 25 Oct 2017, 20:25

Toby wrote:Star Wars Battlefront II looks like the Star Wars game I've been dreaming about since I was about 10.

Which is what I thought the first one was until I got it and was very disappointed by it. I'm going to get BF II once I'm sure there's a bit more meat to the bones.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

driftin

Postby driftin » 25 Oct 2017, 23:30

Toby wrote:Star Wars Battlefront II looks like the Star Wars game I've been dreaming about since I was about 10.

I tried the beta, thought it was fantastic...

Then I saw their utterly cynical pay-to-win system and decided to boycott the game entirely. I'm jumping on the hate bandwagon but I feel like it's entirely justified, especially with the current climate of gaming. It also doesn't help that the single player game is just 7 hours long.

With Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein II which is adamantly single player coming out in a couple of days I'd rather spend my money and time elsewhere than on EA-infected shite.

driftin

Postby driftin » 25 Oct 2017, 23:35

joels344

Postby joels344 » 26 Oct 2017, 00:20

It only took 12 years of harassment from algroth for me to finally play this game. If I had known Planescape: Torment would’ve been this brilliant, I would go back in time and harass myself over not playing it sooner.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 04 Nov 2017, 20:08

Just waiting for CofD WW2 to install.. I'm having an entire evening of enthusiastically shooting Nazis.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 04 Nov 2017, 20:16

joels344 wrote:It only took 12 years of harassment from algroth for me to finally play this game. If I had known Planescape: Torment would’ve been this brilliant, I would go back in time and harass myself over not playing it sooner.

Is it still available for Mac?
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

driftin

Postby driftin » 05 Nov 2017, 02:48

@darkness_fish just saw that you sent me a PS4 party invite. Did you want to chat or something?

Toby wrote:Just waiting for CofD WW2 to install.. I'm having an entire evening of enthusiastically shooting Nazis.

CoD? Bleurgh! This is a proper nazi shooting game:

joels344

Postby joels344 » 05 Nov 2017, 17:17

Deebank wrote:
joels344 wrote:It only took 12 years of harassment from algroth for me to finally play this game. If I had known Planescape: Torment would’ve been this brilliant, I would go back in time and harass myself over not playing it sooner.

Is it still available for Mac?

It is! You can buy the Enhanced Edition on Steam for around $20.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Nov 2017, 09:54

It's been 7 months and the Switch has already released two of my favourite games of all time. With just this and Breath of the Wild, Nintendo are utterly annihilating the competition. With BotW they've released what is probably my favourite game ever made and with Odyssey, a contender for second place. I haven't played a game that brought me this much childlike wonder and joy since going into the first Super Mario Galaxy blind.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Nov 2017, 10:02

driftin wrote:@darkness_fish just saw that you sent me a PS4 party invite. Did you want to chat or something?

Toby wrote:Just waiting for CofD WW2 to install.. I'm having an entire evening of enthusiastically shooting Nazis.

CoD? Bleurgh! This is a proper nazi shooting game:

I've now completed this.

It's both a vast improvement and several steps backwards for the series.

The good: the gunplay, the new movement mechanics, the graphics and sound, the absolutely bonkers story, huge variety in locations, the high quality cut scenes and voice acting, it's fun as hell on easy and very easy - stops being just a CoD cover shooter

The bad: anything above medium is extremely difficult and just plain unfair (unlike TNO which was fine at even the hardest difficulty), very bad level design (which is a massive shame considering how great that was in TNO), a lack of variety in enemies, absolutely no bosses whatsoever, limited choice of guns, an unsatisfying ending

7/10

If I slogged through the highest difficulty I would've given it a 5/10

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Nov 2017, 10:25

driftin wrote:@darkness_fish just saw that you sent me a PS4 party invite. Did you want to chat or something?

Nah, that would've been Tom getting confused, he's always on Overwatch or Minecraft with his mates these days, ever since I relented and got him a headset for his birthday. I created a new account for him, giving him an age of 16, but he never uses it because his mates know the DarknessFish account. So I end up playing as twbmerc now.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82