Rebellious Arcade

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
driftin

Re: Rebellious Arcade

Postby driftin » 09 Sep 2018, 11:19

This is rather excellent. The main campaign is superb and while the side quests and other open world bollocks don't add much to the story at all, the core gameplay here is so fun I'm happy doing them.

Yet another thoroughly enjoyable, highly polished mega budget jewel to add to Sony's exclusive crown. Who needs cross play multiplayer?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 Oct 2018, 10:48

So I'm finally playing GTA V. It is great fun, but I wonder whether it is in any way a real, serious quantum leap from GTA IV, which again I enjoyed, but without being really taken with it. For me the best GTA is Vice City - not only because of the theme, but because it was tight in terms of gameplay, particularly with chases. In GTA V it isn't really that difficult for me to shake off the police at all, which seems to be a problem. Most of the missions can be completed fairly easily and that lessens my enjoyment of it. The switching between the characters is fun and I like the little scenarios and chases that happen around the map on an ad hoc basis, but there's never a sense of being truly immersed in Los Santos. Perhaps the computing isn't up to simulating crowds and the like yet, but it feels like the changes from VC are slowly incremental rather than being significant at all.

Here's hoping that Red Dead Redemption II resolves some of those issues.

driftin

Postby driftin » 26 Oct 2018, 07:45

7 and a half solid hours of this since its midnight release to now.

Uncharted 4 levels of graphical detail
An absolutely massive open world which makes their previous games look empty and small
Close to Breath of the Wild and Metal Gear Solid V levels of open-ended sandbox dynamics
The Witcher 3 style mission structures
Really well written characters all driving an excellent story with amazing cut scenes

Games aren't supposed to be this technically accomplished and ambitious, especially if you're trying to combine the first two things. I wish tiredness wasn't a thing because I just want to keep on going. Unbelievable.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Oct 2018, 08:18

Yeah I think I'm going to have to buy this now

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Oct 2018, 09:15

Toby wrote:So I'm finally playing GTA V. It is great fun, but I wonder whether it is in any way a real, serious quantum leap from GTA IV, which again I enjoyed, but without being really taken with it. For me the best GTA is Vice City - not only because of the theme, but because it was tight in terms of gameplay, particularly with chases. In GTA V it isn't really that difficult for me to shake off the police at all, which seems to be a problem. Most of the missions can be completed fairly easily and that lessens my enjoyment of it. The switching between the characters is fun and I like the little scenarios and chases that happen around the map on an ad hoc basis, but there's never a sense of being truly immersed in Los Santos. Perhaps the computing isn't up to simulating crowds and the like yet, but it feels like the changes from VC are slowly incremental rather than being significant at all.

Here's hoping that Red Dead Redemption II resolves some of those issues.

Vice City had the best music, I'll give you that and San Andreas had the largest most impressive 'sand box' (and the best daft in-jokes) but VI is so obviously a quantum leap, it's just good fun to play (regardless of the game missions etc) - flying jets, driving tanks - ace.

I found RDR a bit slow and never really got into it but RDR2 sounds (literally) awesome.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Oct 2018, 09:22

I don't know about that. I have found the missions in V to be far too easy in general. Even at four stars and above, the police are not that hard to shake. Vice City was tough because it was a relatively small area in which to play. V has a lot going for it and I think the storylines are very entertaining, plus it has that "pick up and play" element that I think the others never had, but something in it holds me back from really loving it.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Oct 2018, 11:53

Toby wrote:I don't know about that. I have found the missions in V to be far too easy in general. Even at four stars and above, the police are not that hard to shake. Vice City was tough because it was a relatively small area in which to play. V has a lot going for it and I think the storylines are very entertaining, plus it has that "pick up and play" element that I think the others never had, but something in it holds me back from really loving it.

Fair enough - we probably want different things from the game (I meant GTA V above) - I don't mind it being a bit easy :)
It was probably an aim of Rockstar when they created it - make it prettier and easier.

Having finished all the missions in V I sometimes play just to drive around really fast or fly my F15 about the place.

I still find it quite odd really that so much herculean effort, money and creativity is poured into making this completely amoral, nihilistic toy for adults.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Oct 2018, 12:02

Well it made them a shitload of money! 100 million units sold.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Oct 2018, 13:18

Toby wrote:Well it made them a shitload of money! 100 million units sold.

Was it £15 billion in the first week on sale?

I wonder if RDR2 will make as much.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 27 Oct 2018, 16:06

I'm one of the cool kids now.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Oct 2018, 16:37

Will it run on an old Xbox 360?

joels344

Postby joels344 » 27 Oct 2018, 16:38

I'm actually running it on my PS2.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Oct 2018, 18:34

2 hours into RDR2 and I'm already confident that it may very well be one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. Outstanding. Love the snow, the horse riding, the weather, the music etc

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 30 Oct 2018, 18:42

Toby wrote:2 hours into RDR2 and I'm already confident that it may very well be one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. Outstanding. Love the snow, the horse riding, the weather, the music etc

Seeing all the boxes of RDR2 in Tescos I thought the artwork was a bit shit.
Especially when you consider that they spent millions (billions?) creating the game they might have thrown a bit more cash at the brand and artwork.

driftin

Postby driftin » 30 Oct 2018, 18:59

25 hours or so into RDR2, this definitely is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. I'm reminded of the first time heading out into the desert in the first game, of wandering into Hyrule in Breath of the Wild, of tip-toeing my way through Yharnam in Bloodborne, of looking up in awe on the alien titular Halo. What a breathtaking landmark of a game.

There's still plenty more to come but I've already created enough unique memories from this game that dozens of inferior games combined can't even reach.

The open world sandbox and hundreds of unique little encounters alone are brilliant enough, the fact there's actual long missions and a fully fleshed out story and characters is just a wonderful bonus!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Oct 2018, 19:01

Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:2 hours into RDR2 and I'm already confident that it may very well be one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. Outstanding. Love the snow, the horse riding, the weather, the music etc

Especially when you consider that they spent millions (billions?) creating the game they might have thrown a bit more cash at the brand and artwork.

Who cares about the box art FFS

driftin

Postby driftin » 30 Oct 2018, 20:15

I like the cover art but I also have the digital version instead of the disc. I'm done with discs now.

driftin

Postby driftin » 31 Oct 2018, 06:34

Just started Chapter 5. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I will say this is about as far away from what you can expect as possible. What the hell, Rockstar? You absolute mad lads.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 31 Oct 2018, 08:51

Toby wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Who cares about the box art FFS

Well, yes, hardly a big deal but I reckon they could have made more of an effort.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 31 Oct 2018, 13:33

I never played the first RDR but I really want to get the new one. I think I'll hold off until I know I have a few days home alone, though - those games are always much better if you can get properly absorbed in them rather than playing an hour or so before bed and having to pause when the kids wake up or the dishwasher needs unloading...
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.