Rebellious Arcade

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Rebellious Arcade

Postby Toby » 06 Nov 2017, 10:39

I ended up having to wait 12 hours for my PS4 to install an update to play CofD WW2 :cry

Re: Wolfenstein - I like my Nazis as they probably were, not souped up undead nonsense.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Nov 2017, 13:56

Toby wrote:I ended up having to wait 12 hours for my PS4 to install an update to play CofD WW2 :cry

Re: Wolfenstein - I like my Nazis as they probably were, not souped up undead nonsense.

Nah, that's the old Wolfenstein canon. This new one is an alternate history where the nazis ended up winning the war using giant mechs and a base on the moon. 20 years later you lead a resistance against them.

It's so gloriously silly you expect Udo Kier to appear and start goose-stepping to Laibach's “B Mashina” at some point. Great stuff.

I don't have a problem with normal WW2 games, I just have an absolutely huge problem with CoD and Activision.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Nov 2017, 13:59

driftin wrote: This new one is an alternate history where the nazis ended up winning the war using giant mechs and a base on the moon. 20 years later you lead a resistance against them.

That's my point - I don't like silly stuff like that.

I'm sure there are huge issues with Activision and CofD (I really despise the modern CofD theme) but I like shooting Nazis in Normandy.

algroth

Postby algroth » 21 Nov 2017, 13:59

Finished Ori and the Blind Forest just yesterday. From a gameplay standpoint it was very enjoyable, I really liked the way it conveyed information to the player by means of early, "simple" logic puzzles that subtly illustrated how to combinate new abilities gained. From an aesthetic standpoint it's lovely, full of lush visuals and a wonderful score... The one thing I feel keeps it from greatness overall is that personally at least I was not as compelled with the story itself - despite a lovely intro and what seemed like what would be a very touching personal story, in the end I felt like a lot of the beats and turns ran in parallel with the actual gameplay or Ori's journey, especially as seen through the end, where it's not even you who brings Naru back to life and truly saves the Forest and so on. From the perspective of a Ghibli enthusiast, I also feel it falls a bit into the Pixar problem of wearing the visual/tonal influence on its sleeve but capturing none of the actual content that makes the studio's films more than just family entertainment - it all amounts to a bit of fluff in the end, but as far as entertainment goes it's damn good one all the same (and still probably a better wannabe-Ghibli than Pixar).

joels344

Postby joels344 » 28 Nov 2017, 21:16

$0.99 on Steam? I will, thank you.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 28 Nov 2017, 21:21

joels344 wrote:$0.99 on Steam? I will, thank you.

I always thought the original was a lot better. The sequel - despite all the accolades it still receives - lost a lot of the magic with its setting and the enemy just being faceless soldiers, though it did have its moments.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 29 Nov 2017, 00:07

PENK wrote:
joels344 wrote:$0.99 on Steam? I will, thank you.

I always thought the original was a lot better. The sequel - despite all the accolades it still receives - lost a lot of the magic with its setting and the enemy just being faceless soldiers, though it did have its moments.

You wouldn’t be the only one. I’ve heard from that some of my good gaming friends as well. Perhaps I should revisit the first one. I mean, for such a cheap price it’s not that my wallet will take a hit or anything. :D

I’m currently loving this one for the engaging story, characters, immersive atmosphere, physics, and interesting game level design. And the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator is amazingly fun to play around with.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Dec 2017, 10:24

I agree with Joel, it's still an excellent game that has aged well. The atmosphere is thick, the level design is clever and varied, the characters and story are compelling, and most importantly the mechanics are still fun.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Dec 2017, 10:31

Here's a game with a really interesting plot, a cast of teenage characters that behave rather stupidly and nonchalantly to gigantic paranormal events, lots of gorgeous music inspired by progressive electronic, tape loops, and shortwave radio, and some exquisite hand-drawn visuals all wrapped around one of the most tedious gameplay experiences you could have. I want to like it and I want to replay it for the multiple endings but I just don't think I'll be able to handle it.

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Dec 2017, 01:37

Oh, now I get it. Yeah, people are pretty much correct about this.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Dec 2017, 09:09

Oh I've just started that myself. The main protagonist is annoying - they've melded Snake Plissken with Philip Marlowe - but apart from that it's good.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Dec 2017, 13:39

It’s really good. Took me about a year to finish and I still have the bonus content to do.
It’s actually got intelligence and self-awareness which is rare in that kind of game, and there are compelling and knotty plots and varied quests and enemies rather than just go-here-bash-this-fetch-prize things. And the characters often seem like real people rather than scripts there to give you quests.
And the gameworld is pretty and convincing, though a bit characterless outside the big settlements - scrubby little hamlets and dirt tracks are perhaps more realistic than fantastical elven temples and whatnot, but they get a bit samey.
The card game is bloody addictive too!
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

algroth

Postby algroth » 07 Jan 2018, 06:46

I'm playing Torment: Tides of Numenera at last, and streaming it via my Twitch channel here: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg So far I'm quite liking it, it's actually surprising me quite a bit as opinions I'd heard about it had been rather lacklustre and thus my expectations were somewhat low. Instead what I've seen so far is a game that actually *does* live up in some fashion or other to the legacy of its creators and its spiritual antecessor, Planescape: Torment (which I also recently streamed and completed in its entirety on my channel). Overall, quite good, and I'm hoping it'll continue to interest/surprise me.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 07 Jan 2018, 07:52

algroth wrote:I'm playing Torment: Tides of Numenera at last, and streaming it via my Twitch channel here: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg So far I'm quite liking it, it's actually surprising me quite a bit as opinions I'd heard about it had been rather lacklustre and thus my expectations were somewhat low. Instead what I've seen so far is a game that actually *does* live up in some fashion or other to the legacy of its creators and its spiritual antecessor, Planescape: Torment (which I also recently streamed and completed in its entirety on my channel). Overall, quite good, and I'm hoping it'll continue to interest/surprise me.

I have just purchased this on the basis it is more about the story and verbal interaction with the world's inhabitants rather than hack and slash, and I imagine that is the very reason some seem to dislike it - It is a fantasy RPG what do you mean I can't do gory finish moves on Orcs!
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

algroth

Postby algroth » 04 Feb 2018, 13:37

Copehead wrote:
algroth wrote:I'm playing Torment: Tides of Numenera at last, and streaming it via my Twitch channel here: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg So far I'm quite liking it, it's actually surprising me quite a bit as opinions I'd heard about it had been rather lacklustre and thus my expectations were somewhat low. Instead what I've seen so far is a game that actually *does* live up in some fashion or other to the legacy of its creators and its spiritual antecessor, Planescape: Torment (which I also recently streamed and completed in its entirety on my channel). Overall, quite good, and I'm hoping it'll continue to interest/surprise me.

I have just purchased this on the basis it is more about the story and verbal interaction with the world's inhabitants rather than hack and slash, and I imagine that is the very reason some seem to dislike it - It is a fantasy RPG what do you mean I can't do gory finish moves on Orcs!

I'm rather confused about the reviews and opinions around it considering a number of them do come from Planescape: Torment fans, and I really don't see this as all that different. Yes, perhaps it's not as good and also a little more scattershot in its development of themes and so on, but it's still hugely creative, generally well-written, and quite emotional given some of the character arcs and the tendency of the game's story towards tragedy. When I started it I was thinking I would find plenty of overly florid text and dialogue that was spinning a yarn moreso than being useful for X or Y, but actually I never felt the game was that dense at all (save a couple of meres which I felt did feel a little too much like their own independent things). Even from a combat perspective there's enough of it to dispel any notions of the game feeling like a CYOA novel of sorts. Overall it's damn excellent.

algroth

Postby algroth » 14 Mar 2018, 13:35

Been playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt between my most recent playthrough of Pillars of Eternity and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Also downloaded Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Hollow Knight and will have a crack at them some time... Now that Deadfire's also been delayed to May 8th. :(

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 14 Mar 2018, 22:03

algroth wrote:Been playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt between my most recent playthrough of Pillars of Eternity and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Also downloaded Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Hollow Knight and will have a crack at them some time... Now that Deadfire's also been delayed to May 8th. :(

I've being playing this ahead of Torment.
It is huge, just bumbling around Temeria could take months

The difficulty level varies too much between drones you can hack your way through without problem and bosses who will kill you even if you are a few levels above them unless you hit on the combination of sword play, magic and potions that is most effective for you, this is in the bestiary but usually needs a few goes before you get it all right and the reload screen is so fucking slow dying is a pain

Most bosses can take away half your HP with one hit so the only way to kill most of them is to avoid being hit and that often takes more button dexterity than I have which is frustrating and means the difficulty level has to be knocked down.

Wraiths, in particular, are impossible until you realise you have to use Yrden then they are a piece of piss.

The story line is far to linear you are searching for someone and to find them you need to find someone who saw them and they will only help you if you do a few tasks for them and then they tell you all they saw was she was talking to this elf named Gerald in Oxenfart and so you find him and he has some jobs for you and so on and so on and so forth ad infinitum.

There are a few decent side missions painting you into faction corners in the war which are quite interesting but in general the story is fairly basic.
I imagine it will pick up as the story of the wild hunt progresses.

The skills tree is pretty boring with very few skills that level up slowly and the character is pretty uncustomisable, he is Geralt the Witcher and that is that, which I find a bit dull, he is basically a tank character with a bit of offensive magic and no sneak ability or bows. The potion power ups seem a bit pointless as do many of the sword power ups, I suppose they all have very powerful if narrow uses.

The world looks nice enough although there is a surfeit of hangings in my view even for a place in the grips of war, it is nice to see an open world that doesn't rely on constant dungeons, most of the action happens on the surface, the cities are particularly good with a realistic number of people wandering around.

I'd give it 6/10 , nowhere near the beauty, malleability or multiple story lines of Skyrim, but a decent and compelling effort, I doubt I will stop playing any time soon.

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2018, 02:54

Copehead wrote:
algroth wrote:Been playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt between my most recent playthrough of Pillars of Eternity and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Also downloaded Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Hollow Knight and will have a crack at them some time... Now that Deadfire's also been delayed to May 8th. :(

The difficulty level varies too much between drones you can hack your way through without problem and bosses who will kill you even if you are a few levels above them unless you hit on the combination of sword play, magic and potions that is most effective for you, this is in the bestiary but usually needs a few goes before you get it all right and the reload screen is so fucking slow dying is a pain

Most bosses can take away half your HP with one hit so the only way to kill most of them is to avoid being hit and that often takes more button dexterity than I have which is frustrating and means the difficulty level has to be knocked down.

Wraiths, in particular, are impossible until you realise you have to use Yrden then they are a piece of piss.

The story line is far to linear you are searching for someone and to find them you need to find someone who saw them and they will only help you if you do a few tasks for them and then they tell you all they saw was she was talking to this elf named Gerald in Oxenfart and so you find him and he has some jobs for you and so on and so on and so forth ad infinitum.

There are a few decent side missions painting you into faction corners in the war which are quite interesting but in general the story is fairly basic.

The skills tree is pretty boring with very few skills that level up slowly and the character is pretty uncustomisable, he is Geralt the Witcher and that is that, which I find a bit dull, he is basically a tank character with a bit of offensive magic and no sneak ability or bows. The potion power ups seem a bit pointless as do many of the sword power ups, I suppose they all have very powerful if narrow uses.

The world looks nice enough although there is a surfeit of hangings in my view even for a place in the grips of war, it is nice to see an open world that doesn't rely on constant dungeons, most of the action happens on the surface, the cities are particularly good with a realistic number of people wandering around.

I'd give it 6/10 , nowhere near the beauty, malleability or multiple story lines of Skyrim, but a decent and compelling effort, I doubt I will stop playing any time soon.

See, for me it's precisely when compared to Skyrim and its ilk that its virtues really shine. Personally I felt Skyrim was fine but the epitome of the "wide as an ocean, shallow as a pool" dilemma typical of open world ARPGs. I cannot recall a single storyline of interest (or many of them at all), and instead what has stuck to my head most of these years since playing it were the endless fetch quests, monster hunts and other such nonsense that felt outright repetitive and basic, as well as the utter lack of reactivity from the game's behalf to your options - such is the case that even when you put an end to the main storyline and stop the villain, the main conflict what with dragons attacking the towns on a regularly basis and so on *still carries on*, completely unaffected by your actions. Skyrim offers a pretty wide variety of abilities and weapons and things to do, but when the world doesn't react to any choice you make, whether you consorted with daedras or became a werewolf or rid the region of a massive dragon or became an instrumental part in the outcome of a civil uprising, you may as well have done none of it or be none of it. It's one of those games where all you have to go with is your head canon, and that's a huge issue when it comes to its role as an RPG - to paraphrase a friend, Skyrim isn't an RPG, it's a sandbox, and while an enjoyable one at that, it also very easily shows how it could have been so much more.

In comparison Geralt may not be a "diverse" character inasmuch as you'll always be Geralt, but you have plenty of agency as him and you are made to take several decisions throughout the game that *do* see themselves reflected on the way the setting evolves and reacts to you. Geralt may always be Geralt but you can still define the *kind* of Geralt he is, and that in and of itself makes it more of a *role-playing* game than Skyrim is. Generally speaking the content is more interesting, the setting far more alive because for once people do seem to have a unique voice and personality either as individuals or as a collective depending on their culture and so on so forth. When I played Skyrim for the first time I bemoaned the shallow writing and said it would be great to see a game with that breadth and the depth of content and personality of *at least* a Dragon Age: Origins, and I think The Witcher 3 delivers on that front.

That said I don't think it's perfect either: I personally find the gameplay fairly clunky, with many ups and downs throughout, with only gwent really sticking as a consistently fun little mini-game. Also much as I think the game has a lot more personality and content than Skyrim as well as decent enough writing I do think it suffers the typical "grim fantasy" issue of being very blunt in just about *everything* it wants to convey, be it emotional, atmospheric, thematic and so on, and certainly it doesn't have quite the depth of content or reactivity that the more proper RPG games do. But then, I let a few of these last things slide because it too is not really a pure traditional RPG, it's a hybrid, and as such it works pretty well. I overall feel like it's a game that isn't particularly outstanding in any specific field for me, and yet does everything right enough to be very enjoyable all the same. And it's definitely doing more for me in the aspects that I care for, i.e. story, setting, characters and so on, than any other game of its ilk that I've played, and all in such a massive scale so as to be really quite impressive.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Mar 2018, 03:52

algroth wrote:
Copehead wrote:

See, for me it's precisely when compared to Skyrim and its ilk that its virtues really shine. Personally I felt Skyrim was fine but the epitome of the "wide as an ocean, shallow as a pool" dilemma typical of open world ARPGs. I cannot recall a single storyline of interest (or many of them at all), and instead what has stuck to my head most of these years since playing it were the endless fetch quests, monster hunts and other such nonsense that felt outright repetitive and basic, as well as the utter lack of reactivity from the game's behalf to your options - such is the case that even when you put an end to the main storyline and stop the villain, the main conflict what with dragons attacking the towns on a regularly basis and so on *still carries on*, completely unaffected by your actions. Skyrim offers a pretty wide variety of abilities and weapons and things to do, but when the world doesn't react to any choice you make, whether you consorted with daedras or became a werewolf or rid the region of a massive dragon or became an instrumental part in the outcome of a civil uprising, you may as well have done none of it or be none of it. It's one of those games where all you have to go with is your head canon, and that's a huge issue when it comes to its role as an RPG - to paraphrase a friend, Skyrim isn't an RPG, it's a sandbox, and while an enjoyable one at that, it also very easily shows how it could have been so much more.

In comparison Geralt may not be a "diverse" character inasmuch as you'll always be Geralt, but you have plenty of agency as him and you are made to take several decisions throughout the game that *do* see themselves reflected on the way the setting evolves and reacts to you. Geralt may always be Geralt but you can still define the *kind* of Geralt he is, and that in and of itself makes it more of a *role-playing* game than Skyrim is. Generally speaking the content is more interesting, the setting far more alive because for once people do seem to have a unique voice and personality either as individuals or as a collective depending on their culture and so on so forth. When I played Skyrim for the first time I bemoaned the shallow writing and said it would be great to see a game with that breadth and the depth of content and personality of *at least* a Dragon Age: Origins, and I think The Witcher 3 delivers on that front.

That said I don't think it's perfect either: I personally find the gameplay fairly clunky, with many ups and downs throughout, with only gwent really sticking as a consistently fun little mini-game. Also much as I think the game has a lot more personality and content than Skyrim as well as decent enough writing I do think it suffers the typical "grim fantasy" issue of being very blunt in just about *everything* it wants to convey, be it emotional, atmospheric, thematic and so on, and certainly it doesn't have quite the depth of content or reactivity that the more proper RPG games do. But then, I let a few of these last things slide because it too is not really a pure traditional RPG, it's a hybrid, and as such it works pretty well. I overall feel like it's a game that isn't particularly outstanding in any specific field for me, and yet does everything right enough to be very enjoyable all the same. And it's definitely doing more for me in the aspects that I care for, i.e. story, setting, characters and so on, than any other game of its ilk that I've played, and all in such a massive scale so as to be really quite impressive.

If I wanted to play card games I'd play card games, Gwent just bugs me, I never played the pipboy games in Fallout4 either.

I am just more of a sandbox kind of guy, I like doing my own thing without being forced down a narrow story line, the endless - find this guy, do this for him, hear his snippet of info about Ciri which mentions this guy, find that guy - treadmill gets me down.

Visually I find Skyrim beautiful and Witcher mearly quite nice, I found Dragon Age Inquisition much better at the Witcher sort of thing as the character was far more customizable and the skills tree far more interesting, although nowhere near the endless permutations that Skyrim can throw up.

And of course witcher is the old style character progress where you get points for doing missions and spend them as you will regardless of what skills you actually use, that was truly revolutionary about Skyrim as an RPG only allowing you to progress in things you actually did, I found that weird at first but now I am a complete convert, it makes it all feel much more natural.

And nothing has the amazing story line and customizability of original Neverwinter Nights2 ( AD&D ) what a shame that has gone down the pan completely.

But all those would be niggles if the actual combat wasn't so badly set up so it is either too difficult or too easy.

Witcher must be great for people who like to play Tank characters, but that is the last thing I want to do, I only go to close combat as a last resort as it is a bit Neanderthal. No finesse this Geralt, even putting the axii on someone so they attack their own mates only lasts seconds, in Skyrim I can poke my head into a castle hall cast a quick rage spell and have them all hacking at each other till practically no one is left, then I can manifest a daedra to finish them off whilst I have a sit down.

In Skyrim I feel like I inhabit a world rather than a story

driftin

Postby driftin » 16 Mar 2018, 12:57

I kind of agree with both of you there but lean very heavily towards The Witcher 3 being better. I liked Skyrim for its various mechanics and systems that are all interlinked and the fact that you could play it however you want and shape your character like a proper RPG. I also really liked its organic and very immersive world but as Al said it's also a fairly meaningless world. Despite the literal hundreds of hours I put into it I don't recall a single memorable character, plot strand, or side quest which lifted the experience up from simply being very immersive to being involved in its world, to playing a part in the politics and struggles of its people - something the Witcher 3 has in spades, even in its side quests and DLC, many which are good enough to be the main plot.

Also despite how enveloping and tangible the world is, Skyrim lacks variety. It's all various shades of blue, grey, brown, white and the occasional bit of green in the trees. This lack of variety extends to the people, creatures, and the clothing too. The Witcher 3 is chock full of creative design that uses more than three hues and it does this in the base game without any mods. I agree that the world doesn't feel as real as Skyrim's but honestly, in this day and age if I wanted a giant sandbox where the landscape feels real I'd just play Breath of the Wild. That combines the colour and painterly beauty of The Witcher with Skyrim's tactile realism and systemic design and improves on it tenfold. Even its simplistic story is more memorable because it has actual characters that you can root for and even Link himself who never speaks is still more charismatic than the Dragonborn.

As for the combat, I know Al isn't a fan of The Witcher 3's but I think it's decent if you actually learn it and play it properly with dodges, blocks, timing, and various combinations of spells. It's hardly Soulsborne, NieR: Automata, or Soulcalibur levels of deep but compared to Skyrim it actually works like a videogame should instead of having two pieces of wet cardboard limply swinging wet noodles at each other until one falls over. Skyrim's combat is absolutely awful no matter which route you go down. It's so spongey and unresponsive that you might as well play a 1980s MUD where the feedback will be more satisfying.

I've played about 300 hours of Skyrim (completed it 100% on PC and about 60% on PS3) and the things I remember most fondly about Skyrim was simply just wandering around and occasionally stumbling into a dungeon or dragon fight. That was really fun but In just over half the time I spent on The Witcher 3 (160 hours - completed the main story game and first DLC 100%, still doing the second DLC) the amount of things I still remember are too many to list.

tl;dr:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - good
The Witcher 3 - better
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - best

That's just my two cents. Different strokes for different folks.

I just got the platinum trophy for this:

The plot and execution of it is mostly Z-grade Saturday morning cartoon nonsense with the occasional bit of writing that is fairly funny, sometimes making a smart joke that breaks the fourth wall, but not enough. I don't know the exact nature of how it's related to the critically panned Ratchet & Clank movie which apparently reuses many cut scenes from this game but movie tie-in or not, the gameplay is absolutely brilliant, the graphics and sound design are excellent, the level design is great, there's loads of things to see and do, and it's simply just heaps of nostalgic fun that remind me of the days of when 3D mascot platformers ruled the earth. It's nice to see this genre making a big comeback.