Sex Education in schools

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21509
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Sex Education in schools

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 11:37

I fully realise that whilst it's easy to fall back on the line "sex education should be taught by families, not the state", the reality on the ground is that not enough children are taught by their parents, so someone has to right?. The government has just announced that it will now be compulsory for schools to do so.

What are your thoughts on this and what sort of sex ed did you get, if any?

Do you think if you'd been taught about relationships at schools (whatever form that would take I don't know), would it have informed you better in life?

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby PresMuffley » 01 Mar 2017, 12:14

Well, it's been a while, but we did have some sort of sex ed class. I can't recall anything about it, but purely judging by the other classes I do remember I'd say it was completely inadequate. Regardless, I was way ahead of the game at that point anyway thanks to pop culture, friends, etc. Thankfully my parents never discussed sex with me.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14613
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:20

Do you think in 5 or 10 years time, sex ed teachers will have to explain about how gay folk have sex? I think it will be important to do so to educate about safe sex.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective
Posts: 12591
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: standing around, exchanging tales and mischief...

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 01 Mar 2017, 12:22

See ya!
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes


Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury


Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.


User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14613
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:23

Probably will end in crazed assumptions from one question, but it deserves to be asked regardless.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 27953
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Mar 2017, 12:23

The Great Defector wrote:Do you think in 5 or 10 years time, sex ed teachers will have to explain about how gay folk have sex? I think it will be important to do so to educate about safe sex.


I've read that they're planning on asking you to do it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21509
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 12:28

Well, Marcus does actually have a point somewhere. Perhaps why rather than how though.

I've started volunteering here http://www.thegreatinitiative.org.uk/ a charity that sends men into schools to talk about feminism, homophobia, LGBT, masculinity and gender issues.

One of the greatest issues in UK schools, at least from what I've been told, is the sheer prevalence of the word "gay" amongst students, and how big the problem of homophobia is.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14613
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:35

Toby wrote:Well, Marcus does actually have a point somewhere. Perhaps why rather than how though.

I've started volunteering here http://www.thegreatinitiative.org.uk/ a charity that sends men into schools to talk about feminism, homophobia, LGBT, masculinity and gender issues.

One of the greatest issues in UK schools, at least from what I've been told, is the sheer prevalence of the word "gay" amongst students, and how big the problem of homophobia is.


Somewhere?
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21509
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 12:39

The Great Defector wrote:Do you think in 5 or 10 years time, sex ed teachers will have to explain about how gay folk have sex? I think it will be important to do so to educate about safe sex.


Sex Ed is not just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex. It is mostly, in my eyes at least, about relationships. You know, the hard stuff.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 28992
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Mar 2017, 12:45

Toby wrote:Well, Marcus does actually have a point somewhere. Perhaps why rather than how though.

I've started volunteering here http://www.thegreatinitiative.org.uk/ a charity that sends men into schools to talk about feminism, homophobia, LGBT, masculinity and gender issues.

One of the greatest issues in UK schools, at least from what I've been told, is the sheer prevalence of the word "gay" amongst students, and how big the problem of homophobia is.


Really? How is the word being used?

I don't know many kids but a friend does have teenagers and from what they've said people are openly gay and everybody is "bisexual", apparently. Obviously I can only go on what she says - she's 16 by the way - but they seem a lot more relaxed with sexuality than my generation
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14613
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:57

Toby wrote:
Sex Ed is not just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex. It is mostly, in my eyes at least, about relationships. You know, the hard stuff.


Relationships? didn't do that in my time, it was just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex and the teacher not answering questions from boys he'd know were just taking the piss.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21509
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 12:59

The Great Defector wrote:
Relationships? didn't do that in my time, it was just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex and the teacher not answering questions from boys he'd know were just taking the piss.


Well obviously. Things are beginning to change.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22112
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Deebank » 01 Mar 2017, 13:00

Toby wrote:Well, Marcus does actually have a point somewhere. Perhaps why rather than how though.

I've started volunteering here http://www.thegreatinitiative.org.uk/ a charity that sends men into schools to talk about feminism, homophobia, LGBT, masculinity and gender issues.

One of the greatest issues in UK schools, at least from what I've been told, is the sheer prevalence of the word "gay" amongst students, and how big the problem of homophobia is.


Actually it is a huge and potentially highly controversial issue isn't it?

I'm sure there are plenty of MPs in the current administration that voted for Section / Clause 28 back in the 80/90s which banned the 'promotion' of homosexuality.

So yes a very good question. I could ask my kids what they tell them about it (in a class called Beliefs & Values) now.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21509
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 13:01

Goat Boy wrote:I don't know many kids but a friend does have teenagers and from what they've said people are openly gay and everybody is "bisexual", apparently. Obviously I can only go on what she says - she's 16 by the way - but they seem a lot more relaxed with sexuality than my generation


It's certainly an issue in London in schools where there is a prevalence of boys from more "traditional" backgrounds linked to ethnic minorities.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14613
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 13:03

Toby wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Relationships? didn't do that in my time, it was just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex and the teacher not answering questions from boys he'd know were just taking the piss.


Well obviously. Things are beginning to change.


Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me then. :roll:









;)
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14613
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 13:04

Toby wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't know many kids but a friend does have teenagers and from what they've said people are openly gay and everybody is "bisexual", apparently. Obviously I can only go on what she says - she's 16 by the way - but they seem a lot more relaxed with sexuality than my generation


It's certainly an issue in London in schools where there is a prevalence of boys from more "traditional" backgrounds linked to ethnic minorities.


I thought you were talking about students using the word to describe something as bad, like, "that's so gay".
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 32260
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby kath » 01 Mar 2017, 13:17

there is a very good chance that the current secretary of education in america will nix sex ed in schools. she has her roots in the abstinence-only crowd. mix that with trump's anti-vaccine stance... infuriating.

(http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... hools.html)

anyway, i think the more information on a very complex subject in schools, the better.

my own personal example isn't very relevant, though. ya knowww... late 70s. what we got was both woefully inadequate and far too late. when i was in high school, the public schools were not yet co-ed. we got maybe a day or two on sex ed under a general health class. it was a bit like when they'd give over a day for the dangers-of-drugs talk. we were all snickering by then.

okay, never mind.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 2975
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Fonz » 01 Mar 2017, 13:53

The 'sex' part- the mechanics- should be straight forward.

The 'relationship' part is infinitely difficult- one of those things you 'learn by doing' or perhaps from strong personal role models.

I get the impression that 'gay' used as a pejorative is still very prevalent, but generally speaking school kids are very much more tolerant/embracing of what used to be considered 'alternative' lifestyles.


The idea that the mechanics of it shouldn't be taught is perverse and regressive.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14613
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 13:54

Fonz wrote:

The idea that the mechanics of it shouldn't be taught is perverse and regressive.


There's bound to be at least one or two teachers that won't teach it on religious grounds. There's always people like that.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 2975
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby Fonz » 01 Mar 2017, 13:57

The Great Defector wrote:
Fonz wrote:

The idea that the mechanics of it shouldn't be taught is perverse and regressive.


There's bound to be at least one or two teachers that won't teach it on religious grounds. There's always people like that.


Ha! Like the ones who teach 'Adam and Eve' as fact.
They should not be employed by the public purse.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jeemo, Jimbo, souphound and 1 guest