Sex Education in schools

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Sex Education in schools

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 11:37

I fully realise that whilst it's easy to fall back on the line "sex education should be taught by families, not the state", the reality on the ground is that not enough children are taught by their parents, so someone has to right?. The government has just announced that it will now be compulsory for schools to do so.

What are your thoughts on this and what sort of sex ed did you get, if any?

Do you think if you'd been taught about relationships at schools (whatever form that would take I don't know), would it have informed you better in life?

PresMuffley

Re: Sex Education in schools

Postby PresMuffley » 01 Mar 2017, 12:14

Well, it's been a while, but we did have some sort of sex ed class. I can't recall anything about it, but purely judging by the other classes I do remember I'd say it was completely inadequate. Regardless, I was way ahead of the game at that point anyway thanks to pop culture, friends, etc. Thankfully my parents never discussed sex with me.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:20

Do you think in 5 or 10 years time, sex ed teachers will have to explain about how gay folk have sex? I think it will be important to do so to educate about safe sex.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 01 Mar 2017, 12:22

See ya!
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Yeah, we're all influenced by life, aren't we - in different ways.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:23

Probably will end in crazed assumptions from one question, but it deserves to be asked regardless.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Mar 2017, 12:23

The Great Defector wrote:Do you think in 5 or 10 years time, sex ed teachers will have to explain about how gay folk have sex? I think it will be important to do so to educate about safe sex.

I've read that they're planning on asking you to do it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 12:28

Well, Marcus does actually have a point somewhere. Perhaps why rather than how though.

I've started volunteering here http://www.thegreatinitiative.org.uk/ a charity that sends men into schools to talk about feminism, homophobia, LGBT, masculinity and gender issues.

One of the greatest issues in UK schools, at least from what I've been told, is the sheer prevalence of the word "gay" amongst students, and how big the problem of homophobia is.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:35

Toby wrote:Well, Marcus does actually have a point somewhere. Perhaps why rather than how though.

I've started volunteering here http://www.thegreatinitiative.org.uk/ a charity that sends men into schools to talk about feminism, homophobia, LGBT, masculinity and gender issues.

One of the greatest issues in UK schools, at least from what I've been told, is the sheer prevalence of the word "gay" amongst students, and how big the problem of homophobia is.

Somewhere?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 12:39

The Great Defector wrote:Do you think in 5 or 10 years time, sex ed teachers will have to explain about how gay folk have sex? I think it will be important to do so to educate about safe sex.

Sex Ed is not just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex. It is mostly, in my eyes at least, about relationships. You know, the hard stuff.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Mar 2017, 12:45

Toby wrote:Well, Marcus does actually have a point somewhere. Perhaps why rather than how though.

Really? How is the word being used?

I don't know many kids but a friend does have teenagers and from what they've said people are openly gay and everybody is "bisexual", apparently. Obviously I can only go on what she says - she's 16 by the way - but they seem a lot more relaxed with sexuality than my generation
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 12:57

Toby wrote:
Sex Ed is not just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex. It is mostly, in my eyes at least, about relationships. You know, the hard stuff.

Relationships? didn't do that in my time, it was just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex and the teacher not answering questions from boys he'd know were just taking the piss.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 12:59

The Great Defector wrote:
Relationships? didn't do that in my time, it was just about the mechanics of sex and the consequences of unsafe sex and the teacher not answering questions from boys he'd know were just taking the piss.

Well obviously. Things are beginning to change.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Mar 2017, 13:00

Actually it is a huge and potentially highly controversial issue isn't it?

I'm sure there are plenty of MPs in the current administration that voted for Section / Clause 28 back in the 80/90s which banned the 'promotion' of homosexuality.

So yes a very good question. I could ask my kids what they tell them about it (in a class called Beliefs & Values) now.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 01 Mar 2017, 13:01

Goat Boy wrote:I don't know many kids but a friend does have teenagers and from what they've said people are openly gay and everybody is "bisexual", apparently. Obviously I can only go on what she says - she's 16 by the way - but they seem a lot more relaxed with sexuality than my generation

It's certainly an issue in London in schools where there is a prevalence of boys from more "traditional" backgrounds linked to ethnic minorities.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 13:03

Toby wrote:

Well obviously. Things are beginning to change.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me then. :roll:

;)

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 13:04

Toby wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't know many kids but a friend does have teenagers and from what they've said people are openly gay and everybody is "bisexual", apparently. Obviously I can only go on what she says - she's 16 by the way - but they seem a lot more relaxed with sexuality than my generation

It's certainly an issue in London in schools where there is a prevalence of boys from more "traditional" backgrounds linked to ethnic minorities.

I thought you were talking about students using the word to describe something as bad, like, "that's so gay".

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 01 Mar 2017, 13:17

there is a very good chance that the current secretary of education in america will nix sex ed in schools. she has her roots in the abstinence-only crowd. mix that with trump's anti-vaccine stance... infuriating.

(http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... hools.html)

anyway, i think the more information on a very complex subject in schools, the better.

my own personal example isn't very relevant, though. ya knowww... late 70s. what we got was both woefully inadequate and far too late. when i was in high school, the public schools were not yet co-ed. we got maybe a day or two on sex ed under a general health class. it was a bit like when they'd give over a day for the dangers-of-drugs talk. we were all snickering by then.

okay, never mind.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 01 Mar 2017, 13:53

The 'sex' part- the mechanics- should be straight forward.

The 'relationship' part is infinitely difficult- one of those things you 'learn by doing' or perhaps from strong personal role models.

I get the impression that 'gay' used as a pejorative is still very prevalent, but generally speaking school kids are very much more tolerant/embracing of what used to be considered 'alternative' lifestyles.

The idea that the mechanics of it shouldn't be taught is perverse and regressive.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 01 Mar 2017, 13:54

Fonz wrote:

The idea that the mechanics of it shouldn't be taught is perverse and regressive.

There's bound to be at least one or two teachers that won't teach it on religious grounds. There's always people like that.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 01 Mar 2017, 13:57

Fonz wrote:

There's bound to be at least one or two teachers that won't teach it on religious grounds. There's always people like that.

Ha! Like the ones who teach 'Adam and Eve' as fact.
They should not be employed by the public purse.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Return to “Nextdoorland”