Was the food of your youth better than now?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Was the food of your youth better than now?

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2017, 12:21

Hanging with my sis for a couple of weeks and our chats kept retuning to how good the food was in our little town. The bread, the deli, the hotel coffee shop tuna on rye sandwich, every food we talked about was the most delicious food ever. Was that our imagination? Or was our town a little special?
I love you.

WG Kaspar

Re: Was the food of your youth better than now?

Postby WG Kaspar » 17 Feb 2017, 12:28

If you mean 'is your mum's cooking better than yours' then yes.
Otherwise it all depends.
I run out of talent

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 Feb 2017, 12:32

No. As I say regularly on here, my wife is a Sorceress in the kitchen.

We also eat out at lovely restaurants much more so than when I was a child.

My mum was a perfectly fine cook, but I have abiding memories of packed lunches with luncheon meat and chutney at school and very chewy lamb at home. The culture of cooking meat back then was for it to be medium to well done. When I had my first rare steak, which I think was the first time I went to NYC, it was a revelation.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2017, 13:52

Then my town was special. Ellenvile is a small town, 5000 people. It's gone to ruin now with a McDonalds and a Wallmart but back when I was a kid there were two Jewish bakeries and the rye bread - with or without caraway seeds, the black and heavy raisin pumpernickel, hard rolls - with or without poppy seeds, and bagels, but normal bagels, plain, salt or onion were delicious. One of the bakeries was still open when I visited about 10 years ago and it was still very good. And there was a Chinese-ish restaurant that served the best sandwich ever. If I sold this today I'd make a fortune. It was, are you ready? It was roast pork on garlic bread. OMG! And only in Ellenville! (Pork. I know. Oy.)
I love you.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 Feb 2017, 13:54

The reality now is that so many crops are grown for quantity, rather than for taste. So much bread just doesn't taste of anything at all because of the grain.

If anyone has access to Netflix, watch the episode of Chef's Table with Dan Barber. And then read his book.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Feb 2017, 14:09

No, not even remotely. The range of what was available in both packaged and fresh foods was very small compared to today. Sure supermarkets sell a load of tasteless and unhealthy shit, but I don't eat from supermarkets if I can remotely help it.
And I'm an incomparably better cook than my mother was, and almost as good as my aunt Cissie.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Feb 2017, 14:54

The variety of ethnic foods is much better - Thai, Vietnamese, more Mexican and Latin America choice, Indian, Pakistani, and Afghan.

My hometown, Redwood City, has always had a large Mexican population, but there weren't tons of authentic tacquerias around to go to. Nor did my parents go to them. Our neighbor, a renter of my dad's, took my brother an I to La Azteca, a Mexican grocery with attached restaurant, when we were about nine and ten. That was the first time we had real Mexican food. My mom's idea of Asian cuisine was Chun King canned food and rice.

Everybody had a wet dream, Everybody saw the sunshine

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Feb 2017, 15:00

Without a doubt, my Mum was a very good cook and I'm pretty rubbish.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 17 Feb 2017, 15:01

In my memory my mother was an amazing cook who was constantly whipping up incredible meals for her ravenous children, when in reality, she was a decent cook who relied on a few tried and true recipes from which she rarely varied. That's not to say that she wasn't adventurous and wouldn't try new ingredients - I remember when pita bread showed up in our small town in the 70's, and she bought some, brought it home, toasted it and slathered it with butter. Great stuff this foreign food!

Nowadays I can eat pretty much anything I want, whenever I want it, and I am never, ever going to have another slice of white Wonderbread covered in ketchup for as long as I live.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 17 Feb 2017, 15:02

Jimbo wrote:Ellenvile is a small town, 5000 people. It's gone to ruin now with a McDonalds and a Walmart

Depending on your French skills, you may or may not get this, but that's exactly what this song is all about.

Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2017, 15:06

Samoan wrote:Without a doubt, my Mum was a very good cook and I'm pretty rubbish.

Yes, my sister and I were talking about Mom's cooking and it was really good! She baked breads and cakes that never made me think the packaged white bread with the red white and blue balloons advertised on kids shows was any better.

There was a show when I was about six or seven, the Sandy Becker Show, and Sandy would do on camera commercials for DiMaggio carrots. These were fresh carrots and the selling point was that the carrot tops were left on just like the ones Bugs Bunny ate. I begged Mom to buy some but she got just boring old topless regular carrots.
I love you.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Feb 2017, 16:34

We had a lot of this a lot growing up.

My mom was good cook but didn't waste it on us during the week. More like weekend dinners or they were celebrating friends over. My grandmother was one of the first bakers for United Airlines and was a great baker. All the other Swedish food was kinda crap. My other grandmother was a legal secretary and she didn't have much time for the kitchen - every time my brother and I stayed over it was meatballs and mash potatoes.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2017, 17:09

sloopjohnc wrote:We had a lot of this a lot growing up.

You're lucky you got the "Hunts" type. My mom would only buy the stupid store versions.
I love you.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 17 Feb 2017, 18:14

Jimbo wrote:
You're lucky you got the "Hunts" type. My mom would only buy the stupid store versions.

Did your mom get you at the stupid store, too?

;)
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Feb 2017, 19:44

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Did your mom get you at the stupid store, too?

It's jerk store

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 17 Feb 2017, 20:00

Samoan wrote:Without a doubt, my Mum was a very good cook and I'm pretty rubbish.

My mum treated my dad, my sister and me like gods. Every morsel of food she gave us was burnt.

Flower

Postby Flower » 17 Feb 2017, 22:05

fueryIre wrote:My mum treated my dad, my sister and me like gods. Every morsel of food she gave us was burnt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My mother's favorite dish was takeout. She would get her hair helmeted on Friday nights and brought home Chinese takeout from Eng's Kitchen. The best meal of the week in our house.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Feb 2017, 22:18

Answer to op's question is no.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 17 Feb 2017, 22:20

CHUN KING !...I remember that stuff...Vile, to say the least....For the most part, I fall into the "Food is better now" category, but nothing beat my mom's Sunday breakfasts..

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Feb 2017, 22:29

The tinned stuff on offer back in the seventies was way better.
Meatballs
Chicken supreme
Condensed milk
Evaporated milk
'Ideal'!
The original Pot Noodles
"We hope its chips, chips!" Grill steaks
Ravioli, ravioli, and ravioli. I LIKE RAVIOLI!

We never have it so good
Last edited by Fonz on 17 Feb 2017, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Return to “Nextdoorland”