Laughs Needed Please.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Thang-y

Re: Laughs Needed Please.

Postby Thang-y » 03 Mar 2017, 16:50

Phil T wrote:
Thang-y wrote:But how's it going, Polishgirl?

No doubt she'll tell you herself at some point and in rather more detail, but suffice it to say that the word 'byzantine' could easily describe what is currently happening to her work situation...

Meh. Hope she gets something worthwhile at the end of it.

(Rayge is currently getting his laughing gear around a bit of Polish cheesecake I just bought from that shop down near St Thomas Station - surely that would cheer her up *cough*.)

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 04 Mar 2017, 15:48

Thang-y wrote: how's it going, Polishgirl?

Thank you for asking :)

It's ridiculously complicated and very stressful. I still don't know what job I'm going to be doing in four weeks' time. There may or may not be suitable alternative work available with my current employer- it being that time of year when we're waiting on various funding bids etc- but I've also applied for a job with the city council. I'm based in their offices with my job now, and I love it- such a great and varied group of people; so I'd like to stay there in some role, if possible. I probably won't know anything definite till the last week of the month. It's hard because I adore my job, and it's central to my sense of self-worth. I've never not worked full time since I was a student, and the thought of not having a fulfilling job to go to every day is pretty terrifying. Fingers crossed it won't come to that.

In the meantime, I'm sublimating my stress via some interesting addictions to Weetabix and cottage cheese ( altho' not at the same time).

Funnily enough, we've just come back from a jaunt along Cowick Street, but managed to resist the siren call of the Polish cheesecake. Phil did get some interesting noodles and pierogi, though, and I got a nice haul of high quality jigsaws from the charity shops. Rock 'N' Roll! xx
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Phil T
Now, with reduced fat!!

Postby Phil T » 04 Mar 2017, 16:47

Polishgirl wrote:Funnily enough, we've just come back from a jaunt along Cowick Street, but managed to resist the siren call of the Polish cheesecake. Phil did get some interesting noodles and pierogi, though, and I got a nice haul of high quality jigsaws from the charity shops. Rock 'N' Roll! xx

The headline in the Exeter Express & Echo "Exminster Man Talks Of Pierogi Hell":
'Mr Truner (80) tells of his addiction to the potato-based Polish foodstuff "Eyup, I were knocking back three packs of the right tasty stuffed dumplings every day, mi duck. It were only me wife that helped me overcome me terrible habit". His wife, the former Miss Philipppa Ffaines-Germoline, former hand model and Gerber Baby, refused to comment.

Mr. Tunre is a bit Northern'

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 04 Mar 2017, 22:00

I hear they're hiring, though the commute might be a deal breaker:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad

Postby Pat O'Banton » 04 Mar 2017, 22:17

Nikki Gradual wrote:Of all the serial paedophiles I have probably met, Rolf was undoubtedly the nicest.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Mar 2017, 00:53

Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 05 Mar 2017, 01:10

A young Native American boy goes to visit his grandfather, the chief of the village. "Hello, my boy" says his grandfather as the young boy enters his teepee, "How are you today?" "I am well grandfather" replies the boy "but may I ask you question?"

"Why of course" says his grandfather.

"Is it true that as the chief of our village it is your job to name all the children that are born in the village?" asks the boy.

"Well yes" says his grandfather. "For example, when your brother was born I walked out of my teepee and I saw an eagle soaring in the sky towards the sun. So, your brother is named 'Eagle That Soars In The Sky Towards The Sun' and when your sister was born, I walked out of my teepee and I saw a white deer running across the plains in the moonlight. So, your sister is named 'White Deer That Runs Accross The Plains In The Moonlight'. But tell me Two Dogs Fucking By The Open Latrine, why do you ask?"

Phil T
Now, with reduced fat!!

Postby Phil T » 05 Mar 2017, 11:25

:D I've heard many variants of that joke over the years, but it still makes me laugh.
:D

Terry Pratchett used that joke as the basis for a character in one of his Discworld novels.
https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/One-Man-Bucket

K

Postby K » 05 Mar 2017, 11:44

PresMuffley wrote:I hear they're hiring, though the commute might be a deal breaker:

That's brilliant. It's does what so many comedies get wrong: plays it totally straight, everything is consistent and works within that world. Just brilliant.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 05 Mar 2017, 14:34

Mr. Show is the best sketch comedy show I've ever seen. There are tons of old clips on YT. Here's another favorite:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Mar 2017, 14:46

K wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:I hear they're hiring, though the commute might be a deal breaker:

That's brilliant. It's does what so many comedies get wrong: plays it totally straight, everything is consistent and works within that world. Just brilliant.

Mr.Show was fantastic. It could be a bit spotty like all shows but has had me doubled over plenty. This is one of my favourites :

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 05 Mar 2017, 15:08

Bureaucracy works!

Here's the next sketch from that episode:

And another I'm fond of:

Phil T
Now, with reduced fat!!

Postby Phil T » 05 Mar 2017, 15:14

It is generally a pretty good show, for sure.
I haven't seen that many, but there seems to be a level of Python influence there I don't recall seeing in too many US shows.

Damned funny, anyway.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Mar 2017, 14:54

I'll need to watch some.

Interview next week for job with the council. Fingers and toes crossed.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 06 Mar 2017, 15:18

The Twat Patrol wrote:
K wrote:

Mr.Show was fantastic. It could be a bit spotty like all shows but has had me doubled over plenty. This is one of my favourites :

Saul?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Mar 2017, 21:26

Yes indeed
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 24 Mar 2017, 12:56

All finally sorted as of yesterday, and I'm dead chuffed with the outcome.

I went for a job interview with the city council two weeks ago, and they offered me the job I wanted, with a permanent contract, and a higher starting point on the salary scale. They gave me time to decide as my situation at that point still wasn't clear, but I've now agreed a redundancy package with my current employer and so have accepted the council job. I'll change over in late May and will be working as a senior payments & collections officer.

I'm based with the council already, so I'll be working in the same building and with the same people, just with a different role. I take a hit on my annual leave allowance, but it's bearable. I'm very sad to be leaving Citizens Advice, as I've been in the service for 22 years, and I really believe in it. But I'm ready for something new ( ie fucking up all the council's computer systems ), and I'm delighted to be leaving the world of temporary contracts behind. I celebrated yesterday with two massive glasses of wine, and then had to go for a lie-down. 8-)

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 24 Mar 2017, 13:28

Excellent!
Jimbo wrote:But there is hope for pessimism.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Phil T
Now, with reduced fat!!

Postby Phil T » 24 Mar 2017, 13:32

Polishgirl wrote: I celebrated yesterday with two massive glasses of wine, and then had to go for a lie-down. 8-)

Yeah, she was dancing on the tables, showing her knickers and shouting "bonjour matelot!" to anyone who walked by.
I had to take her home in a wheelbarrow.

Ohh, the humanity...

Phil T
Now, with reduced fat!!

Postby Phil T » 24 Mar 2017, 13:49

Joking aside, I'm as chuffed as she is.
:D
xx

Return to “Nextdoorland”