Where are you on the political spectrum?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14421
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Feb 2017, 04:41

toomanyhatz wrote:I meant to include education, actually. The demonization of teacher's unions (and unions in general, for that matter) is another thing that has influenced the public in a way that angers and bewilders me.


Yeah, and then there's the creation of Charter Schools, which to me, often seem less like an attempt to improve educational outcomes and more like an avenue for businesses to make money. I remember watching Waiting for A Superman, a documentary about the American education system and in its closing scene, it featured a group of children from low-income families waiting to see if they "won" a ballot into a Charter School. The film painted these schools as the way forward but to me the scene ran as chilling- why should we play games with people's fundamental right to education?
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 24773
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Feb 2017, 04:41

joels344 wrote:According to the political compass test, I'm a center-right libertarian. Which makes sense because most of my political influences are from a libertarian perspective (classical liberalism; not necessarily the traditional definition of libertarianism). That being said, the compass test could be vastly improved and updated. The questions are outdated and often presented in a loaded manner.


I've taken a few of those - I come out center-left - and I always bemoan the lack of "depends on the situation" as a possible answer. I'd answer MOST questions that way.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 200
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby joels344 » 11 Feb 2017, 04:46

toomanyhatz wrote:
joels344 wrote:According to the political compass test, I'm a center-right libertarian. Which makes sense because most of my political influences are from a libertarian perspective (classical liberalism; not necessarily the traditional definition of libertarianism). That being said, the compass test could be vastly improved and updated. The questions are outdated and often presented in a loaded manner.


I've taken a few of those - I come out center-left - and I always bemoan the lack of "depends on the situation" as a possible answer. I'd answer MOST questions that way.


I feel the exact same way about the online political tests. I find the questions are never specific enough. They also tend to create many false dichotomies and loaded questions. It's getting to the point that I have no interest in taking them anymore, because they all seem the same.

Six String
Posts: 19594
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Six String » 11 Feb 2017, 05:17

The Write Profile wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I meant to include education, actually. The demonization of teacher's unions (and unions in general, for that matter) is another thing that has influenced the public in a way that angers and bewilders me.


Yeah, and then there's the creation of Charter Schools, which to me, often seem less like an attempt to improve educational outcomes and more like an avenue for businesses to make money. I remember watching Waiting for A Superman, a documentary about the American education system and in its closing scene, it featured a group of children from low-income families waiting to see if they "won" a ballot into a Charter School. The film painted these schools as the way forward but to me the scene ran as chilling- why should we play games with people's fundamental right to education?


I agree. It looks like a big money opportunity for some, very few "some." Forget about her having no experience. She's there to destroy tge school system just as s many other cabinet members selected for their agencies. His need to shake things up to make things happen is playing with children's futures. Nothing has happened yet but ot doesn't look good.

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4313
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby NMB » 11 Feb 2017, 22:00

The Great Defector wrote:
NMB wrote:in the bit marked "be excellent to each other ".



Image


We could learn a lot from Bill and Ted.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22064
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Copehead » 12 Feb 2017, 02:28

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 41026
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Nationwide

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Still Baron » 12 Feb 2017, 16:16

Like everyone else. the nature of the questions was imperfect, but it's fair enough, I guess. At least it was multiple choice. This probably understates and moderates my real views a little.

Image

Anyway, I don't think healthcare, education, and many other industries operating for the public at large should be profit-driven and would prefer much more significant regulation of business. And, naturally, we should have a much stronger social safety net, which is a part of that. With that said, I have a strong libertarian streak when it comes to criminalization of private conduct and law enforcement, so maybe it's a double standard. Also, though my personal views are, in American terms, strongly to the left, I take a much more pragmatic approach to politics than many who would otherwise share my views. AND, as everyone here knows, I take a maddeningly bloodless and technical view of current affairs, politics, and legal/social issues. There's a very strong argument to be made that the American system is engineered to prevent the government from enacting many of my policy preferences, I am wedded to the structure and diffuse powers of our constitutional republic. Stockholm Syndrome, etc.
Jimbo wrote:But there is hope for pessimism.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22064
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Copehead » 13 Feb 2017, 00:44

Still Baron wrote:Like everyone else. the nature of the questions was imperfect, but it's fair enough, I guess. At least it was multiple choice. This probably understates and moderates my real views a little.

Image

Anyway, I don't think healthcare, education, and many other industries operating for the public at large should be profit-driven and would prefer much more significant regulation of business. And, naturally, we should have a much stronger social safety net, which is a part of that. With that said, I have a strong libertarian streak when it comes to criminalization of private conduct and law enforcement, so maybe it's a double standard. Also, though my personal views are, in American terms, strongly to the left, I take a much more pragmatic approach to politics than many who would otherwise share my views. AND, as everyone here knows, I take a maddeningly bloodless and technical view of current affairs, politics, and legal/social issues. There's a very strong argument to be made that the American system is engineered to prevent the government from enacting many of my policy preferences, I am wedded to the structure and diffuse powers of our constitutional republic. Stockholm Syndrome, etc.


I think is possible that you may be the most left wing US citizen in Texas with a result like that. :)
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 41026
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Nationwide

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Still Baron » 13 Feb 2017, 03:55

I am not alone.
:idea:
;)
Jimbo wrote:But there is hope for pessimism.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22064
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Copehead » 13 Feb 2017, 04:09

Still Baron wrote:I am not alone.
:idea:
;)


Perhaps I should have said man rather than citizen :)
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 15595
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Neige » 13 Feb 2017, 08:09

Copehead wrote:
Still Baron wrote:Like everyone else. the nature of the questions was imperfect, but it's fair enough, I guess. At least it was multiple choice. This probably understates and moderates my real views a little.

Image

Anyway, I don't think healthcare, education, and many other industries operating for the public at large should be profit-driven and would prefer much more significant regulation of business. And, naturally, we should have a much stronger social safety net, which is a part of that. With that said, I have a strong libertarian streak when it comes to criminalization of private conduct and law enforcement, so maybe it's a double standard. Also, though my personal views are, in American terms, strongly to the left, I take a much more pragmatic approach to politics than many who would otherwise share my views. AND, as everyone here knows, I take a maddeningly bloodless and technical view of current affairs, politics, and legal/social issues. There's a very strong argument to be made that the American system is engineered to prevent the government from enacting many of my policy preferences, I am wedded to the structure and diffuse powers of our constitutional republic. Stockholm Syndrome, etc.


I think is possible that you may be the most left wing US citizen in Texas with a result like that. :)


That made me think: The Baron's take is very pragmatic and "European". My dot on the diagram would be at the very same spot I reckon.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 36203
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: Gringolandia

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2017, 16:46

Still Baron wrote:AND, as everyone here knows, I take a maddeningly bloodless and technical view of current affairs, politics, and legal/social issues.


Ain't that the goddamn truth?!
:)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

clive gash wrote:LOOK AT ITS EYES FFS

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51522
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Feb 2017, 19:21

Socialist

The government should double my taxes and make everything free.
Jimbo wrote: And if there is war with Russia, a lot of people will die, maybe the east coast will vanish, but still and all, shit will work out.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22064
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby Copehead » 13 Feb 2017, 21:51

Neige wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Still Baron wrote:Like everyone else. the nature of the questions was imperfect, but it's fair enough, I guess. At least it was multiple choice. This probably understates and moderates my real views a little.

Image

Anyway, I don't think healthcare, education, and many other industries operating for the public at large should be profit-driven and would prefer much more significant regulation of business. And, naturally, we should have a much stronger social safety net, which is a part of that. With that said, I have a strong libertarian streak when it comes to criminalization of private conduct and law enforcement, so maybe it's a double standard. Also, though my personal views are, in American terms, strongly to the left, I take a much more pragmatic approach to politics than many who would otherwise share my views. AND, as everyone here knows, I take a maddeningly bloodless and technical view of current affairs, politics, and legal/social issues. There's a very strong argument to be made that the American system is engineered to prevent the government from enacting many of my policy preferences, I am wedded to the structure and diffuse powers of our constitutional republic. Stockholm Syndrome, etc.


I think is possible that you may be the most left wing US citizen in Texas with a result like that. :)


That made me think: The Baron's take is very pragmatic and "European". My dot on the diagram would be at the very same spot I reckon.


I am a little back towards the center, probably all down to how strongly is disagreed or agreed with statements rather than having a different answer I'd guess.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 543
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?

Postby PresMuffley » 22 Feb 2017, 20:42

Darkness_Fish wrote:Generally quite far to the left, but I'm just much more apathetic than I used to be. Time was, I'd have gotten involved in political debate, marched for a cause, whatever. Now I'm just beaten down by life, and can't summon the energy or enthusiasm. So call me a centrist.


I've never been an activist, and the only march I've participated in was the 50th anniversary of the march on Selma. I took my dog. Basically, I just try to live my life in what I feel is a somewhat respectable manner. We're all forced to be hypocrites in one way or another, but I never want to let life beat me down to a point where I just don't give a crap. Political debate seems mostly pointless, but I guess it all depends on who you're debating. Minds are rarely changed, though.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, souphound and 2 guests