The BBC's Hospital series and the growing crisis in the NHS

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
fueryIre

The BBC's Hospital series and the growing crisis in the NHS

Postby fueryIre » 06 Feb 2017, 18:18

Anybody been watching the six-part Hospital series on BBC on Wednesday evenings? Unbelievable how
badly in the lurch this government are leaving not only the patients but also the doctors and nurses who
are doing their level best to help them.

There is also a major feature on tonight's 6 o'clock news bulletin that covers essentially the same story.
Heart breaking stuff if you or a loved one is a potential patient or have ever needed and got treatment
on the NHS as I did when I was a baby.

sloopjohnc

Re: The BBC's Hospital series and the growing crisis in the NHS

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Feb 2017, 19:18

A couple weeks ago, I heard the Red Cross was sending volunteers to hospitals in the UK to make up for employee shortage.

That's the news we got over here anyway.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Feb 2017, 20:28

sloopjohnc wrote:A couple weeks ago, I heard the Red Cross was sending volunteers to hospitals in the UK to make up for employee shortage.

You're fake news!

The Red Cross did release a report that said the NHS was in crisis though.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Feb 2017, 20:32

The actual term used was humanitarian crisis
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Feb 2017, 20:49

sloopjohnc wrote:A couple weeks ago, I heard the Red Cross was sending volunteers to hospitals in the UK to make up for employee shortage.

You don't get news anymore Snoop.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Feb 2017, 15:32

Yeah, I've been partly watching, as in, it's normally on the TV while I'm reading. My wife works in the information department of Bolton Royal Hospital, so this documentary covers a great deal of her day to day job, making it far more interesting to her, than me. The first two episodes were ridiculously miserable though, just with the information added on about the patients after filming. "After waiting five years for the successful operation, Dan died due to a freak gardening accident two weeks later..."
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 07 Feb 2017, 16:47

What is the naysayers of the NHS alternative to it?
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

fueryIre

Postby fueryIre » 07 Feb 2017, 18:54

Darkness_Fish wrote:Yeah, I've been partly watching, as in, it's normally on the TV while I'm reading. My wife works in the information department of Bolton Royal Hospital, so this documentary covers a great deal of her day to day job, making it far more interesting to her, than me. The first two episodes were ridiculously miserable though, just with the information added on about the patients after filming. "After waiting five years for the successful operation, Dan died due to a freak gardening accident two weeks later..."

Dan was the drummer in Spinal Tap, who knew?

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Feb 2017, 23:14

fueryIre wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Yeah, I've been partly watching, as in, it's normally on the TV while I'm reading. My wife works in the information department of Bolton Royal Hospital, so this documentary covers a great deal of her day to day job, making it far more interesting to her, than me. The first two episodes were ridiculously miserable though, just with the information added on about the patients after filming. "After waiting five years for the successful operation, Dan died due to a freak gardening accident two weeks later..."

Dan was the drummer in Spinal Tap, who knew?

:D I mean :(

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Feb 2017, 03:46

The Great Defector wrote:What is the naysayers of the NHS alternative to it?

Something they can make money from
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

fueryIre

Postby fueryIre » 08 Feb 2017, 08:30

You live in Ireland, Markus, why not wait until yourself or someone in your family is critically ill, rush down to your nearest hospital and see if the A&E is open after 8 pm at night...

If you're lucky - as my wife was last summer - the staff there might pull out all the stops and get you to the nearest functioning ICU before you die of blood loss.

The scaling back of the health service and the closure of non-essential (i.e. outside Dublin where all the TDs/MPs live and work) A&Es began happening in Ireland a few years back and is taking place in the UK even as I write

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 08 Feb 2017, 11:32

fueryIre wrote:

You live in Ireland, Markus, why not wait until yourself or someone in your family is critically ill, rush down to your nearest hospital and see if the A&E is open after 8 pm at night...

If you're lucky - as my wife was last summer - the staff there might pull out all the stops and get you to the nearest functioning ICU before you die of blood loss.

The scaling back of the health service and the closure of non-essential (i.e. outside Dublin where all the TDs/MPs live and work) A&Es began happening in Ireland a few years back and is taking place in the UK even as I write

I have no idea how you could possibly take that I'm anti NHS from my question. I'm not, far from it. My ma is a retired nurse so I know a little about how tough it is. I was just asking a question. Just because i asked, doesn't mean i support the naysayers. It called trying to find out both sides of the argument, as I always try to do.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 08 Feb 2017, 11:33

fueryIre wrote:

I have no idea how you could possibly take that I'm anti NHS from my question. I'm not, far from it. My ma is a retired nurse so I know a little about how tough it is. I was just asking a question. Just because i asked, doesn't mean i support the naysayers. It called trying to find out both sides of the argument, as I always try to do.

fueryIre

Postby fueryIre » 08 Feb 2017, 12:08

The Great Defector wrote:
fueryIre wrote:

Sorry, not sure how you took my reply to mean you were anti-NHS - just pointing out that the horrible Frankenstein monster of private insurance and public healthcare that is Ireland's currently under strain HSE health system is one obvious alternative Theresa May et al will be looking at very closely.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 08 Feb 2017, 12:10

Ok, my bad. It just looked that way when I read it. In fairness I was just awake by 5 minutes without any coffee.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Feb 2017, 13:20

Just back from the GP's at a walk-in clinic to have a bunch of bloods taken - (Haematology and Biochemistry). There were 3 people in front of me and I waited about 20 to 25 minutes, maybe less. No charge payable at the point of delivery. I paid £1.50 to park.
Last month, I had a chest X ray at my local hospital, also a walk-in. I waited about 30 minutes and no fee was due. There's a dedicated hail and ride bus service that runs every 15/60 from the end of my road and goes directly to the hospital, with a few scheduled stops along the route.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

Return to “Nextdoorland”