The IMDb boards are closing.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: The IMDb boards are closing.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Feb 2017, 12:36

PresMuffley wrote:One of the better comments I've read regarding the closure:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/06/imdb-shuts-down-message-boards

Atomic Girl --
I have to laugh reading all the comments about how "useful" the boards were and how this is the end of an era and how IMDB's going to lose so much of its traffic and yadda yadda yadda. They remind me of that classic thing that happens when a despicable person dies and all of a sudden people can do nothing but sing his praises.

Don't get me wrong--the boards used to be amazing (key words, *used* to be). That's because for years, only the most hardcore cinephiles, avid TV watchers, and industry insiders were on the boards. There were tons of interesting discussions to be had, lots of trivia, and a deep appreciation for classic film and TV.

The downfall of the IMDB happened a few years ago when there seemed to be a large influx of new types of users who had suddenly discovered the forums. Some were run of the mill trolls who had been kicked out of other online forums and decide to use the IMDB as a new stomping ground. Others were bored teenagers, fanboys, your typical hive of scum and villainy (racists, sexists, etc.), fantrolls and hate watchers. In any event, as soon as they discovered the site, the quality of the discussions began to plummet off a cliff. Of course, forums for more obscure movies and TV shows were left unmolested. But anything more recent, and there were very few fruitful discussions. In fact, for certain movies, it was a 100%certainty that their forums would be completely overrun by trolls.

Also, another reason why the forums went downhill is generational. Sorry, I know this is gonna cause a lot of "butt hurt" to the "snowflakes" (did I get those terms right?), but when the demographics at the IMDB went from largely Boomer and Gen X to Millennial and Gen Y, you could see the site shifting in quality also. Actually, this shift has been an across the board thing, too, not only just the IMDB. Also on YouTube, Reddit and other sites, you can see how, as the newer generation takes over, comments are getting worse and more ignorant by the day, filled with unnecessary vitriol, very immature and in some cases, barely coherent.

Given the way things were going, I completely understand why the IMDB closed its boards. I know some people will cry that there was still lots of good content on there and because of that, it was worth keeping. But let's be real--whatever good there was still left in them, the fact remains that the IMDB forums were a garbage can that was at nearly 100% capacity and a week away from overflowing. The IMDB knew it, and had the foresight to dump the trash before letting it stink the joint.

I agree with most of what she wrote, but it I still find it a bit depressing that the boards will be no more...

I don't know, most of that seems to be the standard whinging that all message boards have of "it was better back then..." which this place has, too. I think it's mostly because when you join a message board, you find a bunch of people that have decent taste, and then you run out of things to say due to too much agreement, and everyone drifts away. Admittedly, I never went near a mainstream movie board, or the Soapbox or whatever. And anyone who annoyed me went on my ignore list, so I probably missed all the shit-slinging anyway.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 07 Feb 2017, 12:47

I remember when a thread like this would get wonderful responses. These days, this ^^^
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I'd never resort to bombs - but I'm not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Feb 2017, 13:01

:lol: :lol:
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2017, 15:02

Darkness_Fish wrote:I did wonder if Thor Delta was el-p for a while, but I very much doubt it. His contributions to the Book board are ace, all he writes about are early 1980s computer review magazines, bangs on about the Oric and the Dragon 32.

We do need Edward over here, the internet seems wrong without his presence. We would have to restart the "Now Playing" thread though.

I was also wondering if sfpx was el-p. They have very similar taste in music.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

algroth

Postby algroth » 07 Feb 2017, 16:58

PresMuffley wrote:One of the better comments I've read regarding the closure:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/06/imdb-shuts-down-message-boards

Atomic Girl --
I have to laugh reading all the comments about how "useful" the boards were and how this is the end of an era and how IMDB's going to lose so much of its traffic and yadda yadda yadda. They remind me of that classic thing that happens when a despicable person dies and all of a sudden people can do nothing but sing his praises.

Don't get me wrong--the boards used to be amazing (key words, *used* to be). That's because for years, only the most hardcore cinephiles, avid TV watchers, and industry insiders were on the boards. There were tons of interesting discussions to be had, lots of trivia, and a deep appreciation for classic film and TV.

The downfall of the IMDB happened a few years ago when there seemed to be a large influx of new types of users who had suddenly discovered the forums. Some were run of the mill trolls who had been kicked out of other online forums and decide to use the IMDB as a new stomping ground. Others were bored teenagers, fanboys, your typical hive of scum and villainy (racists, sexists, etc.), fantrolls and hate watchers. In any event, as soon as they discovered the site, the quality of the discussions began to plummet off a cliff. Of course, forums for more obscure movies and TV shows were left unmolested. But anything more recent, and there were very few fruitful discussions. In fact, for certain movies, it was a 100%certainty that their forums would be completely overrun by trolls.

Also, another reason why the forums went downhill is generational. Sorry, I know this is gonna cause a lot of "butt hurt" to the "snowflakes" (did I get those terms right?), but when the demographics at the IMDB went from largely Boomer and Gen X to Millennial and Gen Y, you could see the site shifting in quality also. Actually, this shift has been an across the board thing, too, not only just the IMDB. Also on YouTube, Reddit and other sites, you can see how, as the newer generation takes over, comments are getting worse and more ignorant by the day, filled with unnecessary vitriol, very immature and in some cases, barely coherent.

Given the way things were going, I completely understand why the IMDB closed its boards. I know some people will cry that there was still lots of good content on there and because of that, it was worth keeping. But let's be real--whatever good there was still left in them, the fact remains that the IMDB forums were a garbage can that was at nearly 100% capacity and a week away from overflowing. The IMDB knew it, and had the foresight to dump the trash before letting it stink the joint.

I agree with most of what she wrote, but it I still find it a bit depressing that the boards will be no more...

I wouldn't. The trash she refers to could have been easily thrown out if the boards were actually moderated, but IMDb sat on their asses and let the trolls and vitriol proliferate. The solution, however, was always there, and simple: assign moderators. They didn't even need to hire them - most regulars would be happy to volunteer for the task knowing it'd help out the community they are contributing to, practically every healthy board on the net is run internally by users willing to make their space better. With the right policing, this cancerous state the board finds itself in would not have been terminal and we could have allowed to put it back in remission, even permanently. As it stood up to this point, the place was always a body without an immune system waiting to die off to the mildest infection.

I have also spoken with Atomic Girl in the imdb boards... She always came across to me as the Gen Y/Millennials she is so eager to criticize in the above comment.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 07 Feb 2017, 18:23

Darkness_Fish wrote: I don't know, most of that seems to be the standard whinging that all message boards have of "it was better back then..." which this place has, too. I think it's mostly because when you join a message board, you find a bunch of people that have decent taste, and then you run out of things to say due to too much agreement, and everyone drifts away. Admittedly, I never went near a mainstream movie board, or the Soapbox or whatever. And anyone who annoyed me went on my ignore list, so I probably missed all the shit-slinging anyway.

I never felt compelled to put people on ignore until very recently, but obviously the place could always get pretty annoying. And while I mostly posted on the music board, I did enjoy visiting other boards, though I never posted much on any of them. As she pointed out, some of the older discussions on individual film boards were particularly insightful.

I agree with your point on nostalgia, though - and people always do seem to drift away, for whatever reason.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 07 Feb 2017, 18:55

pcqgod wrote:I was also wondering if sfpx was el-p. They have very similar taste in music.

sfpx is from southern FL.
Last edited by PresMuffley on 07 Feb 2017, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 07 Feb 2017, 19:07

algroth wrote:I wouldn't. The trash she refers to could have been easily thrown out if the boards were actually moderated, but IMDb sat on their asses and let the trolls and vitriol proliferate. The solution, however, was always there, and simple: assign moderators. They didn't even need to hire them - most regulars would be happy to volunteer for the task knowing it'd help out the community they are contributing to, practically every healthy board on the net is run internally by users willing to make their space better. With the right policing, this cancerous state the board finds itself in would not have been terminal and we could have allowed to put it back in remission, even permanently. As it stood up to this point, the place was always a body without an immune system waiting to die off to the mildest infection.

I have also spoken with Atomic Girl in the imdb boards... She always came across to me as the Gen Y/Millennials she is so eager to criticize in the above comment.

I think I've run across Atomic Girl on the Politics Board trashing Trump but I can't say she made much of an impression on me, good or bad. No doubt the IMDb / Amazon consistently tried to slide by on the cheap, and never really gave much of a damn about its users, though. I think they missed a huge opportunity, and never had the longview in mind.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2017, 19:09

PresMuffley wrote:

He really seems to know his punk and post-punk.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Feb 2017, 19:33

pcqgod wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:

That settles it. No way is that Kirkup.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 07 Feb 2017, 19:45

pcqgod wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:

For sure. I've had some cool discussions with him about Miami Bass and bizarre late '80s / early '90s eurodance too. Good guy.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Feb 2017, 16:27

PresMuffley wrote:
For sure. I've had some cool discussions with him about Miami Bass and bizarre late '80s / early '90s eurodance too. Good guy.

Well, might as well invite him over if you think he would be interested and no one else here objects.

Someone should also invite Megan, since she's over on your IMDb thread pining for driftin. :)

K

Postby K » 08 Feb 2017, 16:55

I'm wondering if Ant_Man or AllTheW0rldsAStage are still active? Also liked FirmusPiett and Agent_Rodgersz_72.

Great posters. Hope they join us.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Feb 2017, 17:48

K wrote:I'm wondering if Ant_Man or AllTheW0rldsAStage are still active? Also liked FirmusPiett and Agent_Rodgersz_72.

You were on IMDb? Did you ever post on Music General?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Feb 2017, 20:44

pcqgod wrote: Well, might as well invite him over if you think he would be interested and no one else here objects.

Someone should also invite Megan, since she's over on your IMDb thread pining for driftin. :)

I just shot sfpx an invite. I'd like to see Meg here too, but maybe driftin should PM her. ;)

K

Postby K » 08 Feb 2017, 20:58

pcqgod wrote:
K wrote:I'm wondering if Ant_Man or AllTheW0rldsAStage are still active? Also liked FirmusPiett and Agent_Rodgersz_72.

:oops:
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Feb 2017, 22:17

K wrote:
pcqgod wrote:

:oops:

I think that Ant Man guy just popped up on a thread over there about past usernames.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 09 Feb 2017, 00:21

That's a pretty impressive list of names he posted. Hard to decide, but I think my favorite might be ThrowYourHamsUpInTheAir.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Feb 2017, 07:04

I think I may have invited slappy awhile back, but I'm not sure.....

He's from Cheltenham, innit? I think there's someone on here (or used to be?) who's also from there.....

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Feb 2017, 17:17

PresMuffley wrote:
pcqgod wrote: Well, might as well invite him over if you think he would be interested and no one else here objects.

I just shot sfpx an invite. I'd like to see Meg here too, but maybe driftin should PM her. ;)

Meg was cool. GY!BE aside I don't think we had too much in common with our taste in music or film but she was a great personality. She was always happy and positive and it'd be great to see her here again.

Also as far as I know she's now married and has a child.

Return to “Nextdoorland”