The IMDb boards are closing.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: The IMDb boards are closing.

Postby fueryIre » 04 Feb 2017, 09:02

Loki wrote:
never/ever wrote:
Loki wrote:It amazes me how many similarities a lot of communities share in having difficulties maintaining some sense of order....

Yep, it's sad how many messed-up people there are in the world.

Only 2,647 of us according to the membership stats at the bottom of the page

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 04 Feb 2017, 09:29

:)

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 04 Feb 2017, 09:34

Yeah but if the results in the Loud Cup are to be believed most of 'em are Maaaarts aliases.
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

Diamond Dog wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury, I must confess.

(meme here)

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Feb 2017, 10:05

In that case it is going to be verrrry silent in the next few weeks!
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 04 Feb 2017, 10:06

;)
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

Diamond Dog wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury, I must confess.

(meme here)

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 06 Feb 2017, 04:26

Just heard from Flynns Arcade ! (Many of you old guard imdb refugees will know the name, of course...) Awesome to see him on the boards for a last time before the eviction...I told him some of his old cohorts are on here and gave him the link...maybe he will join us on here...Hope so...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Feb 2017, 08:41

Dayodead wrote:Just heard from Flynns Arcade ! (Many of you old guard imdb refugees will know the name, of course...) Awesome to see him on the boards for a last time before the eviction...I told him some of his old cohorts are on here and gave him the link...maybe he will join us on here...Hope so...

Is dc Brown (WayneNewtontheRedneck) still on there? I'd check, but have lost my login details.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 06 Feb 2017, 09:18

And what about Quincy?

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Feb 2017, 09:22

Not seen Quincy on imdb for years. Of course, he's fairly facebook-active.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 06 Feb 2017, 19:51

Whatever happened to Sir Ten. He sort of lorded over the music board there.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Feb 2017, 20:03

Loki wrote:And what about Quincy?

It's his birthday today.
Quincy Gunderson on fb if you're not a friend already :)
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Feb 2017, 20:27

Jeff K wrote:Whatever happened to Sir Ten. He sort of lorded over the music board there.

What a weirdo. He did come back, in a becalmed form, as Mr Muckle. Just long enough an absence to have had some kind of intensive psychotherapy treament, I reckon.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Feb 2017, 20:33

Hopefully Edward will join us.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 06 Feb 2017, 21:14

Rayge wrote:
Dayodead wrote:Just heard from Flynns Arcade ! (Many of you old guard imdb refugees will know the name, of course...) Awesome to see him on the boards for a last time before the eviction...I told him some of his old cohorts are on here and gave him the link...maybe he will join us on here...Hope so...

Is dc Brown (WayneNewtontheRedneck) still on there? I'd check, but have lost my login details.

Have not seen WNTR in a long while, unless he posts under a different name (??)

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 07 Feb 2017, 02:56

He's the guy who knew his funk and R&B. Count Machuki would be happy for his presence here.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2017, 03:23

Dayodead wrote:
Rayge wrote:

Have not seen WNTR in a long while, unless he posts under a different name (??)

He was posting under "Angry Starless Redneck" for a long time. According to my friends list, he was last active in November of last year.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2017, 03:56

Anyone know if these posters are old IMDb regulars with new usernames?

sfpx
swill merchant
Thor Delta
Gandolph Lundgren

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Feb 2017, 08:47

I did wonder if Thor Delta was el-p for a while, but I very much doubt it. His contributions to the Book board are ace, all he writes about are early 1980s computer review magazines, bangs on about the Oric and the Dragon 32.

We do need Edward over here, the internet seems wrong without his presence. We would have to restart the "Now Playing" thread though.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 07 Feb 2017, 10:44

One of the better comments I've read regarding the closure:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/06/imdb-shuts-down-message-boards

Atomic Girl --
I have to laugh reading all the comments about how "useful" the boards were and how this is the end of an era and how IMDB's going to lose so much of its traffic and yadda yadda yadda. They remind me of that classic thing that happens when a despicable person dies and all of a sudden people can do nothing but sing his praises.

Don't get me wrong--the boards used to be amazing (key words, *used* to be). That's because for years, only the most hardcore cinephiles, avid TV watchers, and industry insiders were on the boards. There were tons of interesting discussions to be had, lots of trivia, and a deep appreciation for classic film and TV.

The downfall of the IMDB happened a few years ago when there seemed to be a large influx of new types of users who had suddenly discovered the forums. Some were run of the mill trolls who had been kicked out of other online forums and decide to use the IMDB as a new stomping ground. Others were bored teenagers, fanboys, your typical hive of scum and villainy (racists, sexists, etc.), fantrolls and hate watchers. In any event, as soon as they discovered the site, the quality of the discussions began to plummet off a cliff. Of course, forums for more obscure movies and TV shows were left unmolested. But anything more recent, and there were very few fruitful discussions. In fact, for certain movies, it was a 100%certainty that their forums would be completely overrun by trolls.

Also, another reason why the forums went downhill is generational. Sorry, I know this is gonna cause a lot of "butt hurt" to the "snowflakes" (did I get those terms right?), but when the demographics at the IMDB went from largely Boomer and Gen X to Millennial and Gen Y, you could see the site shifting in quality also. Actually, this shift has been an across the board thing, too, not only just the IMDB. Also on YouTube, Reddit and other sites, you can see how, as the newer generation takes over, comments are getting worse and more ignorant by the day, filled with unnecessary vitriol, very immature and in some cases, barely coherent.

Given the way things were going, I completely understand why the IMDB closed its boards. I know some people will cry that there was still lots of good content on there and because of that, it was worth keeping. But let's be real--whatever good there was still left in them, the fact remains that the IMDB forums were a garbage can that was at nearly 100% capacity and a week away from overflowing. The IMDB knew it, and had the foresight to dump the trash before letting it stink the joint.

I agree with most of what she wrote, but it I still find it a bit depressing that the boards will be no more...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Feb 2017, 11:41

It was all downhill the second Googamooga joined
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Return to “Nextdoorland”