Writing to authors, artists, stars etc

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
bobzilla77

Re: Writing to authors, artists, stars etc

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Feb 2017, 22:35

I sent Ted Nugent a letter in 1978 telling him how much I thought his concert sucked, and that Blue Oyster Cult had totally done him in. In response I got an invitation to join his fan club.

Much later I wrote to the lead singer of the Monks, after hearing the reissue of Black Monk Time, to say how glad I was that their music was being rediscovered, how much I enjoyed the record etc. He sent me back a lovely postcard signed by all five members. Within a year one of them passed away. And about 6 months after that, I got another postcard signed by the four living members, saying "Not sure if I ever responded to your letter two years ago, but thanks!" That was cool. A reciprocal high five through the mail from one rock and roller to another.

Most recently I wrote to Bill Bruford on Facebook asking if he was interested in being interviewed on the occasion of Yes' Hall of Fame induction, and received the most polite, friendly "no" response.

"Bill has decided to decline with his thanks and wishes you luck with your own musical efforts."

I hadn't mentioned I was a musician (although I now realize my FB avatar is a pic of me behind the kit! Didn't need Scooby Doo to solve that mystery).
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Feb 2017, 22:43

I wrote a fan letter to The Bangles around 1984 and got a letter back inviting me to be in their fan club. As a fan club member I got band newsletters, a glossy photo, a Christmas message cassette (modeled after the Beatles' Xmas records) and a copy of their first 45 rpm as the Bangs. I also sent birthday cards to Debbie and Susanna. Debbie sent me back a nice card thanking me.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Feb 2017, 01:40

I think it was on Saturate Before Using where there was an address to send for a lyrics sheet. I'm still waiting.
Russia…Putin…Russia…Putin…Russia...Putin.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 04 Feb 2017, 02:28

It was probably around 1970 when I was 12, for some reason (?) I wrote to MAD magazine. I likely received some sort of letter, and they sent me a small poster that looked exactly like this~

I tacked it up on my bedroom wall along with photos of The Monkees, Bobby Sherman, Michael Cole, etc.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Feb 2017, 03:30

^ You rule, Loki.

In those old MADs there was always an ad on the second or third page offering "photos" of Alfred E. Neuman, "suitable for framing or wrapping fish," for a small price. Maybe that was why you wrote. I did the same in 1973 and never got anything back, but it was right when my family was moving to Turkey so it might have gotten lost in transit somehow.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Feb 2017, 04:08

I just remembered another cool one (I'm afraid this is gonna sound like I'm just blowing my own horn, but fuggit): Back in early 2001 I wrote to Robin Remaily, longtime/sometime member of The Holy Modal Rounders. This Rounders-fan list-serv I belonged to was planning an in-house HMR tribute CD and I wanted to do Remaily's song "Under The Willow" (which I learned via Michael Hurley) - and as neither the Rounders nor Hurley had ever "officially" recorded it, I thought it only polite to ask his permission. I got back a letter granting me that permission and then rambling about a bunch of other stuff for some pages - very charming and funny. That March I recorded the tune and sent him a CD-R of it, noting that I had changed one line of lyric and if he didn't like it he should tell me and I'd change it back. He never wrote back.

About nine months later I flew to Portland, Oregon for a Rounders reunion gig (it was wonderful). I saw Robin standing around afterwards, so I went up and introduced myself. His jaw dropped with delight and he proceeded to gush at some length about my version of his song (assuring me along the way that my lyric change was "MUCH better than the original!"). I even got a few phone calls from him over the next few years (he got my number from Hurley, which is only fair - I got his address from Hurley). He was, and presumably still is, a sweetheart - I haven't kept in touch with him, which is truly shameful (and sadly typical) on my part.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 04 Feb 2017, 04:17

Charlie O. wrote:In those old MADs there was always an ad on the second or third page offering "photos" of Alfred E. Neuman, "suitable for framing or wrapping fish," for a small price. Maybe that was why you wrote. I did the same in 1973 and never got anything back, but it was right when my family was moving to Turkey so it might have gotten lost in transit somehow.

Hey, I bet that was it! Thanx, Charlie. :)

Turkey?! Wow.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Feb 2017, 14:25

I seen a class documentary on Mad magazine, I thought it was hilarious the way one of the founders when he sold his stock in the magazine just upped and left. Just walked out the door, after putting in so much effort. Although it was suggested that he put in the most effort and just got fucked off with it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvenist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Feb 2017, 13:53

I had a brief email correspondence with the late John Balance, of Coil, sometime around 1997, I think. It was half fan-mail/half-complaining about how bloody difficult it was to find their albums anywhere. In reality, I sent it because it was my first ever email account, and I don't think I knew anyone outside of my college HND course who had an email address, and noticed he'd published his email on the back cover of the CD I was listening to. He came across very chatty and friendly though.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Feb 2017, 17:07

I briefly corresponded with Sean Bonniwell of The Music Machine when we were in the same garage rock discussion forum. I helped him translate a fan letter in Spanish and he sent me a MM cd in gratitude.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Nextdoorland”