Writing to authors, artists, stars etc

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Spec

Writing to authors, artists, stars etc

Postby Spec » 03 Feb 2017, 09:49

Have you ever written to an author, artist, film/tv star, musician etc?

If so, what did you write about? And did they reply?

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Re: Writing to authors, artists, stars etc

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 03 Feb 2017, 11:21

Hm.

I had a couple of brief email-exchanges with Van Dyke Parks, about 10 years ago. He's also very accessible during backstage meetings, he really took the time to listen and answer attentively. He's a wonderful raconteur, I fondly remember those occasions.

And three questions of yours truly were asked Brian Wilson, back in 2000. He was a guest at http://www.luxuria.com (now www.luxuriamusic.com, seems to have lost its innocence), an exquisite internet radio station then, based in LA.

Members could send in questions, and selected members' efforts were put before Brian. It was fantastic to hear live online the presenter, Chuck Kelley, ask my stuff to Brian, with my name mentioned several times.

Brian was in communicative mood, that helped.

I won a signed CD of his 1988 album, the Rhino edition.

Musicians whom I met backstage were also: reggae band Culture in their original line-up, Peter Case, Pere Ubu, and several others, Debbie Harry unfortunately was not one of them.
Last edited by Bride Of Sea Of Tunes on 03 Feb 2017, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Feb 2017, 12:29

I embarrassingly remember writing a letter, but never sending it, to Brian Hill who was then coach of the Orlando Magic. The topic of my letter was how to defend Micheal Jordan :lol:. Ah man, I was 13 at the time and didn't know better.

I did send a letter to Nintendo on how to improve Tetris, I got a letter back liking my idea (basically, aye right son, leave it to the pros) and they'll take it on board.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

TL;DR
funky thigh collector

Postby TL;DR » 03 Feb 2017, 12:47

The Great Defector wrote:
I did send a letter to Nintendo on how to improve Tetris, I got a letter back liking my idea (basically, aye right son, leave it to the pros) and they'll take it on board.

Was this last week?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

NMB

Postby NMB » 03 Feb 2017, 13:43

I sent an email to Roger McGuinn once simply because I'd found his address somewhere. I didn't know what to say so for the sake of saying something I asked him why he recorded the song Dreamland. He emailed me back :D to say that Joni had given it to him on the Rolling Thunder Review.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Feb 2017, 14:33

I wrote to Cunt, London and never got a fucking reply.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Feb 2017, 14:39

The Great Defector wrote:I embarrassingly remember writing a letter, but never sending it, to Brian Hill who was then coach of the Orlando Magic. The topic of my letter was how to defend Micheal Jordan :lol:. Ah man, I was 13 at the time and didn't know better.

How precious!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Feb 2017, 14:39

Quacoan wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:I embarrassingly remember writing a letter, but never sending it, to Brian Hill who was then coach of the Orlando Magic. The topic of my letter was how to defend Micheal Jordan :lol:. Ah man, I was 13 at the time and didn't know better.

How precious!

:oops:, yeah i'll take the hit on this one.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 03 Feb 2017, 14:46

Toby wrote:I wrote to Cunt, London and never got a fucking reply.

Round robin?
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Did either Duck Dunn or James Jefferson change music irrevocably?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Feb 2017, 14:50

Quacoan wrote:

How precious!

Just so cute. :) Can you imagine getting a letter like that, a 13-year-old who has the secret to defending the best basketball player the world has ever known.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Feb 2017, 14:54

Quacoan wrote:
Quacoan wrote:How precious!

Just so cute. :) Can you imagine getting a letter like that, a 13-year-old who has the secret to defending the best basketball player the world has ever known.

...and from Ireland, they probably didn't know we played basketball.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Feb 2017, 14:56

:D :D

Spec

Postby Spec » 03 Feb 2017, 16:24

Has anyone read this:

There is a Vol. 2 also.

Or the related blog

Both are excellent and include some wonderful letters to fans.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Feb 2017, 16:38

When he was little, my brother drew a picture a wrote a letter to Bart Starr, QB for the Green Bay Packers. Starr/Packers sent him back an 8 x 10 photo of Starr with his autograph on it. Pretty cool.

In relation to Markus's quote, I used to read the letters to the local sports pages and one letter suggested the San Francisco Giants trade all their crappy players for all stars. As you read the letter, I was thinking, "This guy is nuts," until I got to the end and it said, "Johnny Doe, 10 years-old."
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Feb 2017, 18:16

In early 1984, in the process of subscribing to NRBQ'S newsletter, I enclosed a little fan letter-y message. When I received my first issue of the newsletter, I saw that they had reprinted it therein, in full, with the reply "Charlie - thanks and love from all of us." That's cool, I thought, but I figured they probably did that sort of thing all the time. But I subscribed for three years, and never saw them do that again. So I guess they dug what I was layin' down.

In early '86 I wrote a letter of condolence and support to Mike Watt & George Hurley after d. boon's accident. I did not receive a reply, nor did I for a moment expect one.

I wrote Tom Rapp (Pearls Before Swine) an e-mail years ago. I'd seen a couple of interviews where he'd expressed displeasure with the CD reissues of their first album - wrong mixes were used, etc. I told him about someone I knew who I thought might know where the right tapes were. He sent a nice e-mail back, expressing amazement that someone he didn't know would take the trouble to write to him about such a thing.

I wrote an e-mail to Dorothy Wiggin Semprini, one of the Shaggs sisters, telling her how much I loved their music, and she wrote a sweet note back.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Feb 2017, 19:04

Charlie O. wrote:In early 1984, in the process of subscribing to NRBQ'S newsletter, I enclosed a little fan letter-y message. When I received my first issue of the newsletter, I saw that they had reprinted it therein, in full, with the reply "Charlie - thanks and love from all of us." That's cool, I thought, but I figured they probably did that sort of thing all the time. But I subscribed for three years, and never saw them do that again. So I guess they dug what I was layin' down.

Or yours was the only fan mail they ever received!

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 03 Feb 2017, 19:32

I wrote a letter to Jackie Leven reminding him that he hadn't sent the cd I had paid for. He sent back a reply which arrived the day before I was going to see him. After the gig he was selling CDs and signing them, them he asked for my name I said Jim. Jackie then asked if I was the Jim that was waiting on the cd, and had it arrived. If I hadn't needed to enquire after my cd I wouldn't have bothered.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Feb 2017, 20:17

Quacoan wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:In early 1984, in the process of subscribing to NRBQ'S newsletter, I enclosed a little fan letter-y message. When I received my first issue of the newsletter, I saw that they had reprinted it therein, in full, with the reply "Charlie - thanks and love from all of us." That's cool, I thought, but I figured they probably did that sort of thing all the time. But I subscribed for three years, and never saw them do that again. So I guess they dug what I was layin' down.

:twisted:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 03 Feb 2017, 20:58

My class wrote letters to; Jacqueline Wilson, Dick King Smith, Jez Alborough, Geraldine Mccaughrean & Michael Morpurgo. It was part of a project about authors - by the time the letters were penned the children had read several books by each and had positive comments to make to each author and questions.

All of the authors replied individually save Morpurgo who sent a generic letter (I suspect he is the busiest of the five & gets a lot of letters). Alborough's was the most interesting, the children had asked about his drawings and he included some doodles and showed how he developed them.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Feb 2017, 21:08

sloopjohnc wrote:
Quacoan wrote:

:twisted:

Yeah, I expected someone would say that! :)

Return to “Nextdoorland”