Desert Island Discs

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Spec

Desert Island Discs

Postby Spec » 27 Jan 2017, 10:18

75 years old this week, it is my favourite things on the radio.

The Caitlin Moran episode from a couple of week's back was excellent. It is often the ones that I don't expect to like that I end up liking most - Johnny Vegas from 5 or 6 years ago is a good example.

Then there are the guests you've never heard of - the surgeons, campaigners, humanitarian figures - that have such great stories to tell and are so humble and inspiring.

And if you get bored there is such a vast archive to go back to.

Quaco
F R double E

Re: Desert Island Discs

Postby Quaco » 31 Jan 2017, 16:31

Spec wrote:75 years old this week

That is incredible -- I had to look it up to make sure that wasn't a mistyping. I only started hearing about such things in, say, the '80s or later. I had no idea!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 Jan 2017, 20:44

Quacoan wrote:
Spec wrote:75 years old this week

That is incredible -- I had to look it up to make sure that wasn't a mistyping. I only started hearing about such things in, say, the '80s or later. I had no idea!

Same here. 1942 - I mean, radio disc jockeys were still a relatively new phenomenon then.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 01 Feb 2017, 17:20

Charlie O. wrote:Same here. 1942 - I mean, radio disc jockeys were still a relatively new phenomenon then.

They only got into kiddy fiddling in the late 60s and early 70s.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Feb 2017, 18:41

Johnny Fartpants wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Same here. 1942 - I mean, radio disc jockeys were still a relatively new phenomenon then.

They only got into kiddy fiddling in the late 60s and early 70s.

Baby steps, Johnny...

Spec

Postby Spec » 01 Feb 2017, 20:08

Did anyone hear the David Beckham DID on Sunday? He came across well.

For fans, there is a long but very good look back over the 75 years. Some wonderful clips. Worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08cd2fk

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 02 Feb 2017, 12:12

I love DID. Always a bright spot of my week. It's everything I used to love about Britain: civilised, curious, funny, diverse and eccentric. The 75th anniversary episode is a treat. And I could listen to Kirsty Young forever. Dipping into the archive episodes is fun but Sue Lawley's rude and abrupt style with guests she wasn't keen on spoils a lot of interviews.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 02 Feb 2017, 15:16

Spec wrote:75 years old this week, it is my favourite things on the radio.

The Caitlin Moran episode from a couple of week's back was excellent. It is often the ones that I don't expect to like that I end up liking most - Johnny Vegas from 5 or 6 years ago is a good example.

Then there are the guests you've never heard of - the surgeons, campaigners, humanitarian figures - that have such great stories to tell and are so humble and inspiring.

And if you get bored there is such a vast archive to go back to.

Caitlin Moran was very good - in fact I nearly started something about it on Facebook but then, er didn't.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 06 Feb 2017, 18:40

Do yourselves a favour and check out the one with Captain Eric "winkle" Brown if you haven't already heard it. He's a classic case of one of those people you have until then never heard of but leaves you slack jawed in admiration. Very late in life he became something of a celebrity thanks to DID before passing away last year. I was driving to work when his DID went out and it was so good I pulled over and switched off so I could listen to the rest of it with no distractions whatsoever.
He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Return to “Nextdoorland”