President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Dr. Baron » 09 Nov 2020, 12:23

Well this is the second time I’ve seen the notion of a 30 day war floated, and it seems on-brand. I had hoped he would see the writing on the wall and just slink off. But maybe not. So, a month of frivolous lawsuits:

https://www.axios.com/trump-legal-battl ... stream=top

In December, the legal timelines (for official certification of the winner) will start kicking in and he’ll have to face facts. But it could be an ugly month. The good news is this could distract (as the piece suggests) from the Republican campaign efforts for the Georgia Senate seats.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 09 Nov 2020, 13:58

So, who will benefit from presidential pardons before the day is out? Just curious.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Nov 2020, 14:17

Geezee wrote:

Genuinely one of the crazyist news items of the last 4-5 years of this psycho-crazy news period.

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 09 Nov 2020, 14:22

souphound wrote:So, who will benefit from presidential pardons before the day is out? Just curious.

Everyone who wants one. The question is whether he'll try to pardon himself, which hasn't been attempted in the past (to my knowledge).

I'm hoping the lawsuit campaign will distract Trump from the various demolition jobs he could be undertaking. But things like pardons are a chance to exercise unfettered power, and I imagine he particularly enjoys it, so I'm sure he'll get around to it.
Last edited by Dr. Baron on 09 Nov 2020, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Nov 2020, 14:40

Dr. Baron wrote:Well this is the second time I’ve seen the notion of a 30 day war floated, and it seems on-brand. I had hoped he would see the writing on the wall and just slink off. But maybe not. So, a month of frivolous lawsuits:

In December, the legal timelines (for official certification of the winner) will start kicking in and he’ll have to face facts. But it could be an ugly month. The good news is this could distract (as the piece suggests) from the Republican campaign efforts for the Georgia Senate seats.

That's quite an interesting dynamic

The person who talks often to the president said: "Republicans ... are very concerned about the Senate. Trump is not."
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Nov 2020, 18:21

Geezee wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:Well this is the second time I’ve seen the notion of a 30 day war floated, and it seems on-brand. I had hoped he would see the writing on the wall and just slink off. But maybe not. So, a month of frivolous lawsuits:

That's quite an interesting dynamic

The person who talks often to the president said: "Republicans ... are very concerned about the Senate. Trump is not."

Trump is concerned about himself. Period.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Nov 2020, 19:11

harvey k-tel wrote:
Geezee wrote:

Genuinely one of the crazyist news items of the last 4-5 years of this psycho-crazy news period.

Oh, that's clever.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Nov 2020, 20:49

I like to think Pfizer deliberately delayed their announcement re the Covid vaccine for a week or 2.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Nov 2020, 02:04

I know it's not "the end" yet and Trump certainly has a boatload of shit he has yet to squeeze from his cheeks but lord almighty, what a feeling. It's been superb watching the videos from all over America's major cities -and the world of course. Our suburb, like many others in Austin, felt like a mighty switch had been thrown. I'm sure everyone else in the States has equal stories of what happened in the aftermath of CNN calling it. I had planned to, and indeed had bagged up, a load of bottles of fizz into gift bags with messages for everyone on our street with a Biden sign (that was a lot) in order to nudge a bit of a street party. I had literally just finished bagging them when Baron called down and CNN had called it. How fantastic TV can be! I only spent about five minutes watching that then ran out to deliver the fizz. As I stepped out the door, a woman with a marching drum was walking down the street banging victory and I could hear people all over the hood running outside and whooping in their gardens. I went and dropped off the fizz- some people were in their yard and hadn't heard yet -but within minutes, it was as if the whole neighbourhood knew.

We'd celebrated bonfire night with some friends and had a shit load of booze left over, and so went and sat on the front lawn and brought all the garden chairs out six foot apart with a load of sanitizers and sat there and opened the champagne that we had bought for that very moment. And waited. It took minutes for people to be walking past and coming and joining us. Complete strangers, honking their horns and going absolutely batshit mental. People walking their dogs and kids who came and sat and beer with us, some staying for ten minutes, others staying for a few hours. We made new friends and learnt primarily that the constant nagging anxiety that has been living with us for four years is something that has been adversely affecting absolutely everyone. I mean, everyone bitches about Trump this Trump that, but to find out how people's physical and mental health had been put under such significant strain was genuinely fascinating. Everyone wanted to unload about the early morning waking, the horror of looking at the news, the inability to turn off from thinking about Trump and the genuine feeling of a fog of despair. Some of these people were parents and had been busy hatching plans to emigrate. One guy was figuring out how to get their kid to agree to go to Canada.

I have spent many months waking up immediately wondering what Trump had done now. As my first early morning thought. Imagine waking up every morning and your very first thought being "what has the fucking President done now?" I didn't even think that with Thatcher. The job of a President is to get on with stuff so that you don't have to worry about what your President is doing when you wake up. Of course, you're not just thinking "what has he done now" but also "what has he enabled now and what will the fallout be?" I remember bitching about John Major. John fucking Major! I never knew how good I had it! Even now, at a time of approaching an election when I really thought I needed to know as much as I could to be as informed as I could be, I realised I couldn't pay attention to anything without starting to shake. We watched 5 minutes of the election coverage before I was rigid with ice throated fear and we watched Arrested Development instead. The only way to get any peace was to distance myself from social media and news completely. That and yoga kept me sane. That's definitely a lesson going forward- you don't have to stay connected with the beating heart of news and media. Get it in small bursts, and then turn off and go and look at a squirrel. Yeah, Saturday was a great, great day.

When all of the people were sat on our lawn, I was reminded of some of the things that I love very much about America. That level of friendliness and open, welcoming casual chat is something that I have always loved about Americans, both before and after I moved here. I talk to Baron about this a lot because he is ready to quit this joint. He's had enough and can't move to a Yorkshire cottage and read soon enough. I'm not ready to leave, though. I'm not done with this place. Every single time we travel somewhere new and meet new people, I get increasingly drawn in to the magic of the crazily diverse landscapes and the sheer loveliness of strangers. I think in many ways it is a good job that I know so little about American politics and some of America's most -er- challenging places and people as if I knew what Baron and the rest of you probably know, I may also want to leave. I acknowledge completely that this is some real Pollyanna nonsense. I do know that I cannot believe so many people voted for Trump, however, I also know that many Trump supporters do choose to ignore the some of his most dreadful deeds and they cherry pick their own bubbles of news just like I cherry pick mine. Where is the utopia we would all like? It doesn't exist. I'm more inclined to stay and fight, whatever "fight" means and however futile it might be in the face of a country of millions of people who all think differently about everything. I do believe that Biden has the capacity to "heal" but don't ask me how I think he should do it. I am simply happy to know that he believes that it is important to try.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Nov 2020, 02:08

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
Deebank wrote:I'm not sure why pundits seem so surprised by the results so far*. Wasn't this scenario (very tight, narrow Biden win - which is the way it\s headed) the most widely predicted?

*Wasn't this level of Trump support predictable? Of course most decent people were hoping for better, but this was always on the cards.

Until the last few days, the consensus seemed to be that Biden had so many signs on people's lawns and was so far ahead in the polls, he had whole thing sewn up

Where have you read or heard anything that suggested lawn sign conversation equated to a consensus that the election was sewn up?

I'll answer for you! Is the answer- nowhere? :)
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Nov 2020, 02:09

Bold emphasis (within the article) mine.

Trump’s heart doesn’t seem to be in it
A series of factors suggest this is more for show than anything else.
By Aaron Blake
November 8, 2020 at 9:57 a.m. EST

Shortly before noon Saturday, The Washington Post and other major news organizations called the 2020 presidential election for Joe Biden. At the time, President Trump was playing golf, the same game he said in 2016 that he wouldn’t have time for as president. And shortly thereafter, his campaign held a news conference disputing the election results that was for some strange reason held at a landscaping company that shares a name with a luxury hotel, Four Seasons. This led to suspicions that the scheduling of it had been botched. Adding to the bizarreness: The landscaping company was located next to a sex shop and — in a particularly unfortunate turn from a metaphorical standpoint — across the street from a crematorium.

Despite Trump and his campaign’s baseless allegations of voter fraud in the 2020 election, the scenes of Saturday — and indeed much of the three days before it — don’t exactly paint a picture of a campaign working tirelessly and strategically to overturn the results of its impending loss. The question has always been whether these allegations were truly about legal challenges or about Trump claiming he never actually lost in the first place, and it’s looking more and more like it’s the latter.

Trump has spent the five days since the election occasionally tweeting missives about how the election has been stolen from him, but he’s spoken formally only once since the wee hours after election night. And even that performance Thursday, while substantively defiant, was visually and oratorically downcast.

Trump’s lawyers have repeatedly cast about haphazard legal theories about malfeasance in the election, which has led to losses and even some embarrassing scenes in front of judges who were asked to actually evaluate them. In one case, the lawyers tried to avoid admitting their people were indeed allowed to observe the vote-counting process in Philadelphia, only to have the George W. Bush-appointed judge ridicule their presentation. Elections officials in many key states, including some Republicans, have also denounced the arguments as being baseless.

The funding and spending for the Trump legal efforts also speaks to the possibility that this isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

For instance, the campaign is soliciting donations for its “official election defense fund,” but the fine print shows half of the donations are to be used for another purpose: to retire the campaign’s debt. That’s a particularly conspicuous clause given Trump had previously said he might put up his own money for his reelection effort; even as he swears he has a legitimate legal case, he’s not just declining to use his own money, but he’s diverting half the money raised for it to another purpose tied to the winding down of the campaign. (The imbalance is even bigger for a related effort, with 40 percent going to the Republican National Committee and 60 percent going to retire Trump’s campaign debt.)

The Trump campaign has also not, for instance, put up the approximately $3 million required for a recount in Wisconsin. Biden’s margin of victory there is about 0.6 percent, and it’s likely to be the third-closest state, meaning its result would likely need to be overturned for Trump to have any shot. Perhaps the Trump legal team believes that money might be better spent in other ways, given recounts usually only shift a few hundred votes, but it doesn’t exactly suggest an all-hands-on-deck effort.

That practical math is also worth emphasizing in this moment. Not only was Biden declared the winner Saturday after carrying Pennsylvania, but he soon also won in Nevada, bringing him to 279 electoral votes. And he’s also ahead in two of the three competitive states that have yet to be called: Georgia, where the margin is about 0.2 percent, and Arizona, where it’s at 0.6 percent and closing.

The decisive states are likely to all be decided by less than one percentage point — the same as in 2016 — which would suggest that legal challenges might plausibly succeed. But Trump’s biggest emerging problem is that he’d need to overturn the results in multiple states. In fact, he’d need to do so in at least three states, as things currently stand.

So this isn’t like 2000, when it was a matter of several hundred votes in one decisive state: Florida. The effort to overturn the result would need to be vastly bigger (in terms of raw votes and the number of states) and more diverse, given all states run their elections differently and different legal cases would need to be applied to each one.

It’s daunting math, and it’s math that foreign leaders — and even a handful of Republicans — are increasingly acknowledging, as they congratulate Biden on his win without allowing for the possibility that the result is truly up in the air. (Given Trump’s propensity for punishing people who run afoul of him, that’s significant.)

It’s also, if you read between the lines and ask Trump allies privately, something they seem to be coming to terms with — including perhaps Trump himself.

“The legal operation is designed for Trump to save face and ultimately give him the ability to say he didn’t lose the election fair and square,” one person close to the White House told The Washington Post. “So we’re going to roll with it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/11/08/trumps-heart-doesnt-seem-be-it/?utm_campaign=wp_the_5_minute_fix&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_fix&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F2ca26ba%2F5fa9b6fa9d2fda0efb6209cb%2F59729af9ade4e21a84808e30%2F30%2F49%2F1f81a9935daec6df10ceb070737ac9a7

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Nov 2020, 02:13

That was lovely, Anna!

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Nov 2020, 03:26

Great story Anna! Wish we could have been there to toast the event. Yes, the sad part is not Trump but the 70 M people who voted for him. They aren’t going away and unfortunately Donald isn’t either. He loves the power and the accolades so he’s going to hang around and make trouble for the Republicans. At this point I will choose ignoring him and hope the media does as well.

Until then ROCK ON!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Nov 2020, 04:08

Lord Rother wrote:I like to think Pfizer deliberately delayed their announcement re the Covid vaccine for a week or 2.

Wasn't Pence all over that like a fly on shit!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 10 Nov 2020, 08:33

Lord Rother wrote:I like to think Pfizer deliberately delayed their announcement re the Covid vaccine for a week or 2.

Unfortunately, so do the Trumps

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 10 Nov 2020, 10:59

It’s been in the back of my mind why Trump paid that secret visit to Putin and now I think we’re seeing it in play.

Nationalist control and suppression is the name of the game.

They will feel emboldened with so many votes in favour of Trump.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Nov 2020, 12:31

that was a wunnerful post, minnie. *sniff*

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Nov 2020, 14:43

i had a few days of feelin good. mwhaha.

and i do believe that nuthin trump can pull will change the results of the election. there is no evidence of voter fraud or any of the other stupid bullcrap the trumpers are trying to claim in court. case after case gettin tossed. they can't even file some of their court documents properly. there is just no proof anywhere.

but give a delusional, demented, moronic narcissist the power he has, and watch the fucquery fly. soooo, an update.

aside from the legal bullshit goin on and bunker trump's continual crazy tweeting and flailing (i won! no, they cheated! no, i won!), we have the republican minions lining up behind him. bill barr met with mitch mcconnell. then mcconnell came out and supported trump in investigating the election.

it is such shameless horseshit. mitch stood there and said the WH results needed to be investigated while saying the repub senators who got voted thru on the very same ballots are legit. uh huh.

barr came out with a memo saying the DOJ would set to investigating substantial cases of illegitmate voting. mind ya, the DOJ already has the power to do that, although it is sposed to happen after an election is certified. (rules? what rules?) the guy at the DOJ, richard pilger who oversees election crimes, then resigned.

lindsey graham went on fox news and said sumthin like, "when we republicans win, it's becuz of our ideas... when democrats win, it's becuz they cheat." ever more rabid, upside down horseshit. they are all in.

most of the sane speculation says that this amping up is not just to appease dear leader: it has the two georgia runoff senate races at heart. mitch, lindsey and evil crew know desperately they hafta keep control of the senate, so they wanna stoke up the base and crank up how bad those crooked dems are.

this does make sense. the two foul GOP senators in the runoff, loeffler and perdue? they have called for the repub sec. of state in georgia to resign cuz he said there was naught improper with the election voting and it was all overseen correctly. those senators, naturally, had no evidence whatsoever. just the same rabid tactics. but there may be a plus side here. this bullcrap may actually help the dems in the runoff race.

as for barr, the same sane speculation says without evidence, there is still no real teeth behind what he's saying, but the main effect, as with the other minions' crap, is to undermine the fairness of democratic elections, to let that conspiratorial doubt spread like its own pandemic. it always helps the republican fascist cause. destructive, crazy.

along with that, not surprisingly, trump is blocking the transition. general services administration (GSA) is responsible for admitting the incoming transition team, ya know, for a peaceful transition of power, including allll the stuff that includes money, acccess to classified info for briefing purposes, the huge influx of people comin in to replace the people goin out, coordination with all the agencies, etc. the head of GSA was picked by trump, and she like the rest of them is refusing to admit biden is president-elect. (there are already legal cases goin forward against this.) but it's destructive stuff.

however, that's not all.

trump fired sec. of defense esper. i've talked about him before, when i was talkin about the nuclear codes thing. in his out-the-door interview with military times, he insisted he wasn't a yes man. he said sumthin like, "they will replace me with a yes man, and god help us then." he was 95% a yes man, mind. he kissed trump's ass publicly on many occasions. he was at that photo op at lafeyette park. but he *did* stand up to trump and speak out in refusing to use the military in the streets against protesters.

the guy who is replacing him, chris miller, was already senate confirmed as the head of national counterterrorism. a special ops guy with a good record, but with a few caveats. one, it's not legal, according to the order of succession for the position, also not legal becuz he hasn't been out of the active military long enough (rules? what rules?) two, we know there are probs with anyone trump picks. ron wyden, senator from oregon, tweeted this:

"I opposed Chris Miller’s nomination because he refused to promise that intelligence agencies wouldn’t target Americans based on their political views."

that sounds ominous on the face of it. but as we already knew esper had drafted a resignation letter some days ago, the firing is not all that surprising. trump is purging and goin scorched earth and lashin out (many people think FBI head wray and CIA head haspell are next on the chopping block.) how much of this is really a coherent, well-oiled coup plan is definitely up for debate. trump is no strategist. he's a deranged fucquin toddler breaking as many of the toys on the playground he can before he has to move out.

but the effects on national security, which trump has never given one good shit about, could be enormous. he's got 70 days. his admin has already announced a huge weapons deal for gazillions with, where was it? (UAE). firing esper rattled the joint chiefs (i dunno why they didn't expect that crap anyway) but i've already seen military experts coming out with warnings on how stupid and destructive it is. will trump pull some kinda massive military move? he could try. i seriously doubt he's gonna nuke any countries he is still on the grift for. but he could immediately withdraw troops from afghanistan and iraq, for example. quid pro quos for who knows how much money. he's gonna need the money. this is to say nothing about how much he still owes putin and china and who knows all else.

ya know who else he's fired?

Lisa Gordon-Hagerty, administrator of the National Nuclear Security Administration, the first woman to oversee the agency in charge of the nuclear stockpile. She was required to resign on Friday.

Bonnie Glick, deputy administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development. She was replaced by acting Administrator John Barsa, who had run out of time for his more senior role under the Federal Vacancies Reform Act.

Neil Chatterjee, chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and a former aide to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. He was replaced as chairman, though he will remain at FERC, an independent agency, as a commissioner.

i mean... did putin just send him a wish list of people to ditch? trump is too stupid to have any real plan, but that doesn't mean his closest dictator buds don't.

well, trump *does* have plans to keep on the grift. that much is for sure.

how much of this is yelling and flailing and a madman goin berserker, or real threat of blood in the sand and the streets? i tend to think the former. after all, while all this denial-batshit has been goin on, there was one report that trump was thinking about running for prez in 2024, and another that says he is planning a super-pac:

"President Trump is planning to form a so-called leadership political action committee, a federal fund-raising vehicle that will potentially let him retain his hold on the Republican Party even when he is out of office, officials said on Monday."

... which would at least imply on some level in his mildewy brain he knows he has lost. at the same time, he *is* fucquin crazy.

70 days.

meanwhile, the ACA is going before the supreme court today. not good. damn, i feel like i'm bearing a lotta bad news.

at least there is some very good news in all of this, and that's about the pandemic, the team of experts biden has already assembled, pfizer's announcement of a very promising vaccine, and anthony fauci's support of what that news means.

so... er.... strap in. wear a mask. and maybe a crash helmet.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 10 Nov 2020, 15:51

And that's the News At Kath. And much appreciated it was too. Funny these Replicant Senators are now lining up behind Trump.

I'd wager they have their snouts very deep in the trough and have been warned by the sons of the consequences.

The only ones I suspect are not corrupt, are those who had the decency to congratulate Biden. The others can rot in hell with their boss.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 10 Nov 2020, 16:12

kath wrote:lindsey graham went on fox news and said sumthin like, "when we republicans win, it's becuz of our ideas... when democrats win, it's becuz they cheat." ever more rabid, upside down horseshit. they are all in.

saw that too Kath - f*cking looney tunes.

Every state in question Biden won by 10,000+ votes(they are trying to even challenge Michigan which Biden won by $150,000). Give me a break.
This isn't Florida 2000 where 500 ballots were in questions. All I know is Trump better be paying for these lawsuits.

At least we now have a real team of Corona virus, I'm liking Biden's picks to run the team.

Penn lawsuits - these are insane. Now Trump wants to disqualify all mail in votes. Give me a break. SO sick of this guy I really hope he goes away once he is thrown out of office. Of course he will not go away. All the talk now is he will run in 2024 (no he will not maybe JR' will)

Some reports showed that Melania is going to divorce the Donald after they leave office. They quickly went away on the news yesterday wondering why?