President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jan 2019, 01:45

Yes, there's that too. I think even the people who lick his ass secretly hate him.

Or maybe it's not so secret, you never know.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Jan 2019, 11:32

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2018 ... n-borders/

The Left Case against Open Borders
By Angela Nagle

If “no human is illegal!,” as the protest chant goes, the Left is implicitly accepting the moral case for no borders or sovereign nations at all. But what implications will unlimited migration have for projects like universal public health care and education, or a federal jobs guarantee?

According to this article - and it makes sense to me - however stupid and brutish its implementation, Trump's hard stance against immigration is ironically a boon to the left and a slap in the face of the right. Whatever airy-fairy, John Lennon Imagine-ish notions I may have had about open borders, since, of course, they will never come to pass, even a liberal allowance of foreigners into the states, or anywhere, is a mistake hurting the working class and helping the rich. That said, neither Trump's wall nor Obama's mass deportations will equitably solve the problem. What would help most of all is the E-Verify plan which would put the onus of ensuring whether a worker is "legal" on business owners, but neither the Republicans nor the Democrats can disrespect their donors that much. It's a longish article but it covers many bases. As to whether it helps me to answer Davey's earlier question how to pay the benefits if millions of South Americans pass through Jimbo's magical open border, it doesn't because according to the article we should not have open borders. Still the article does include a number of fixes and ideas of how to deal with immigration.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jan 2019, 16:17

burp.
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Jan 2019, 19:10

Well, things should get interesting now. Pelosi's got the gavel, I guess, and she's not going to pull an Obama (when he opted not to prosecute Wall Street banks/bankers for 2008).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Jan 2019, 19:38

Sneelock wrote:burp.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jan 2019, 23:54

the first thing Pelosi seems to be throwing her weight behind is PAYGO. I know most of what you read about it fobs it off as being prudent and all that sort of thing. the more I look at it the more it looks like austerity measures to me. Do Democrats really want to own that? sure, lots of people are saying how reasonable and adult it is NOW but how reasonable and adult is it going to look in the long run?

I smell a rat.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Jan 2019, 03:41

Sneelock wrote:the first thing Pelosi seems to be throwing her weight behind is PAYGO. I know most of what you read about it fobs it off as being prudent and all that sort of thing. the more I look at it the more it looks like austerity measures to me. Do Democrats really want to own that? sure, lots of people are saying how reasonable and adult it is NOW but how reasonable and adult is it going to look in the long run?

I smell a rat.

It is s tactical move - and mostly about wall funding.

Here’s why it makes sense:

- They are seeking to institute it for two years (Trump’s presidency).
- Whike Trump is President, austerity for the non- wealthy is already a given. He won’t spend on anything but tax cuts for the wealthy and a wall.
- If Trump or the Senate kill it, they go in record as even more fiscally irresponsible than they already are.
- If they pass it, it gives them a lot more leverage in the negotiations for wall funding.
- In a PAYGO world, Trump has to find enough cuts to pay for the wall. That boxes him on pretty badly. He either has to take away tax cuts for the rich or cut Medicare or Socisl Security (which will kill his reelection chances).
- If we win the next election, we get rid of PAYGO and austerity is over. Or keep it just long enough to use it as pretense to raise taxes on the wealthy.

So, in this context, I think PAYGO makes complete sense.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Jan 2019, 03:56

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:- In a PAYGO world, Trump has to find enough cuts to pay for the wall. That boxes him on pretty badly. He either has to take away tax cuts for the rich or cut Medicare or Socisl Security (which will kill his reelection chances).

Surely he can finish gutting the regulatory and science agencies and whatever else isn't nailed down.

But I haven't really read up on PAYGO.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Jan 2019, 04:34

Snarfyguy wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:- In a PAYGO world, Trump has to find enough cuts to pay for the wall. That boxes him on pretty badly. He either has to take away tax cuts for the rich or cut Medicare or Socisl Security (which will kill his reelection chances).

Surely he can finish gutting the regulatory and science agencies and whatever else isn't nailed down.

He can’t gut anything without the house. Any cuts he makes to pay for a wall have to go through the house. So there is really no downside for us. This is smart politics.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Jan 2019, 15:45

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:- If we win the next election, we get rid of PAYGO and austerity is over. Or keep it just long enough to use it as pretense to raise taxes on the wealthy.

"Austerity is just temporary" makes me pretty uneasy, man.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Jan 2019, 19:12

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/03/politics ... index.html
TRUMP defends the Soviet's 1979 Invasion of Afghanistan. :o
The President of the United States wrote: The reason Russia was in, in Afghanistan was because terrorists were going into Russia. They were right to be there. The problem is it was a tough fight. And literally they went bankrupt. They went into being called Russia again as opposed to the Soviet Union

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Jan 2019, 22:07

Count Machuki wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:- If we win the next election, we get rid of PAYGO and austerity is over. Or keep it just long enough to use it as pretense to raise taxes on the wealthy.

Austerity is Sneelock’s word. I think they are just cockblocking Trump.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Jan 2019, 22:37

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

He can’t gut anything without the house. Any cuts he makes to pay for a wall have to go through the house. So there is really no downside for us. This is smart politics.

Thanks, Davey.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Jan 2019, 23:16

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

Austerity is Sneelock’s word.

..and Paul Krugman's. it's a perfectly good word.

I think they are just cockblocking Trump.
Look, I know better than to argue with you about anything - there just aren't enough hours in the day. that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Me,I think we may see this more of a hindrance to the Dems agenda than the Repubs.

I get what you're saying and it's better than CUTGO but I'd rather they restore Corporate Tax Rates and buy everybody in America a fucking puppy.
maybe it is "smart politics" but most people HATE politics. I think there's a lot of good stuff in the rules package but PAYGO bugs the hell out of me. I mean, it's not a surprise, Steny & Nancy have been talking about it for months. my concern is that it's not just TRUMP they are interested in cockblocking. I think it's fair to be concerned it's going to discourage big ticket Dem programs despite assurances that it won't.

the fact that you see no downside isn't as encouraging as you might think -- I remember you stating categorically that TRUMP could never be elected President. :p

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Jan 2019, 23:53

"I can do it if I want"
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics ... index.html
the President says he may invoke a state of emergency in order to build his stupid goddam wall.

so...
we've been at this for a while. what do you think?
he has every intention of doing this?
he is just playing "gotcha" to watch everybody go nuts?
he just opens his mouth and something comes flying out?

it sounds like something he'd try to do - don't you think?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Jan 2019, 00:08

What I've always been curious to know - and may never really know - is: how many people in his base really give a shit about Building That Wall? I suspect most of them just like having fun things to chant at the rallies.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 05 Jan 2019, 01:00

EAT MY SHORTS!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Jan 2019, 01:34

:lol:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Jan 2019, 02:07

#Sneelock2020

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 05 Jan 2019, 03:04

I promise a chicken in every pant.