President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: The Manafort Case

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Aug 2018, 19:47

Jimbo wrote:And is not Mueller's mandate to focus on the supposed Russian hacking?

A Trump-appointed judge upholds Mueller probe as legitimate and constitutional

Machuki wrote:They what?! Was their closing argument just a resigned sigh?

Closings tomorrow, I believe.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Count Machuki » 14 Aug 2018, 19:55

Ah, see, that's why YOU'RE the law-talking guy!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jimbo

Re: The Manafort Case

Postby Jimbo » 14 Aug 2018, 20:22

Snarfyguy wrote:
Jimbo wrote:And is not Mueller's mandate to focus on the supposed Russian hacking?

A Trump-appointed judge upholds Mueller probe as legitimate and constitutional

Machuki wrote:They what?! Was their closing argument just a resigned sigh?

Closings tomorrow, I believe.

Did you read beyond the first sentence of the article? It has nothing to do with Manafort but at least it does deal with Russia. I like this bit of bullshit.

A federal judge appointed by President Donald Trump ruled Monday that special counsel Robert Mueller's probe is constitutional and legitimate, rejecting an effort by a Russian company -- accused of financing a massive political influence operation in the United States -- to stamp out the ongoing investigation. (Go down the page for the contradiction) Concord pleaded not guilty to the charges and though the indicted Russians aren't expected to participate in the proceedings, the firm tapped American attorneys to represent it in court, a move seen as an attempt to gain insight into the evidence Mueller has gathered.

On one hand Concord wants to "stamp out the investigation" and on the other wants to fight its case in court. These are mutually diametric stories. How about Concord feels it is innocent of the charges and wants its day in court, what any defendant is entitled to. And yeah, they want "to gain insight into the evidence Mueller has gathered." That's called "discovery" another thing any defendant gets in a fair trial. And good on the judge for allowing the case to proceed. And that is probably because she is a Trump appointee! Mueller will shit when he can't come up with real evidence against the Russians. Now this is the trial I want to see.
Gadfly

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Aug 2018, 20:39

^^^ I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say it had anything to do with Manafort.

You asked about Mueller's mandate, even as you yourself posted the allowed parameters of the investigation.

Concord filed a motion to dismiss, as virtually all defendants do in federal court, and they lost. Now the case moves forward.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Aug 2018, 20:53

Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say it had anything to do with Manafort.

You asked about Mueller's mandate, even as you yourself posted the allowed parameters of the investigation.

Concord filed a motion to dismiss, as virtually all defendants do in federal court, and they lost. Now the case moves forward.

Since it appears Manafort has nothing to do with the Russia probe I question whether his case falls under Mueller's mandate. It might in a miscellaneous way but since I'm a guy who wants to believe Russia is innocent of shit like trying to overthrow our democracy, it pleases me that neither Russia nor the election was brought up at the trial.
Gadfly

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Aug 2018, 21:49

^^^

Jimbo wrote:The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation... including... any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation.

It's a pretty broad mandate. In the Manafort trial that's now underway, the judge disallowed any mention of Trump or Russia, properly so because those things are tangential to the financial crimes at issue (which isn't to say Mueller isn't holding other cards which may implicate Trump in shady financial dealings).

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Aug 2018, 21:39

Pence for Prez- not arf, pop pickers!

http://www.officialmikepence.com/

"This is a reminder to kill all your tiny dogs

Sign up to receive email notifications regarding best ways to do so, including strangling, drowning, and others."

etc etc etc... read 'em and weep!
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 15 Aug 2018, 21:53

Well I, for one, am sure as shit interested in what the Manafort jury does! We shall see ...
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 15 Aug 2018, 22:09

LeBaron wrote:Well I, for one, am sure as shit interested in what the Manafort jury does! We shall see ...

You think that judge has fucked it up for everybody?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 15 Aug 2018, 22:13

Count Machuki wrote:
LeBaron wrote:Well I, for one, am sure as shit interested in what the Manafort jury does! We shall see ...

You think that judge has fucked it up for everybody?

No I think the fact that the star witness was a lying thief trying to save his own skin means that the prosecution has problems! The evidence as it’s been reported is certainly sufficient to support convictions, but that isn’t necessarily what’s going on with jury deliberations. It’s refreshing to me that the judge was so tough on the government. They can normally do whatever they want in court.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 15 Aug 2018, 22:17

Won't they just make a partisan split straight down the middle like the country, what was the demographic of the area they were drawn from?
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 15 Aug 2018, 22:20

Copehead wrote:

Won't they just make a partisan split straight down the middle like the country, what was the demographic of the area they were drawn from?

I think it’s in Northern Virginia, which is full of affluent professionals. I’m not quite so cynical, but a hung jury wouldn’t surprise me.

That judge is gonna be PISSED if the jury hangs. :lol:

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Aug 2018, 20:13

Jeez, I hate to do this to y'all :cry:

Russian Collusion: It Was Hillary Clinton All Along

8/13/2018

Russia Investigation: It's beginning to look as if claims of monstrous collusion between Russian officials and U.S. political operatives were true. But it wasn't Donald Trump who was guilty of Russian collusion. It was Hillary Clinton and U.S. intelligence officials who worked with Russians and others to entrap Trump.

That's the stunning conclusion of a RealClear Investigations report by Lee Smith, who looked in-depth at the controversial June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between officials of then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign staff and a Russian lawyer known to have ties with high-level officials in Vladimir Putin's government.

The media have spun a tale of Trump selling his soul to the Russians for campaign dirt to use against Hillary, beginning with the now-infamous Trump Tower meeting.

But "a growing body of evidence ... indicates that the meeting may have been a setup — part of a broad effort to tarnish the Trump campaign involving Hillary Clinton operatives employed by Kremlin-linked figures and Department of Justice officials," wrote Smith...... https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... y-clinton/

2016 Trump Tower Meeting Looks Increasingly Like a Setup by Russian and Clinton Operatives

By Lee Smith, RealClearInvestigations

August 13, 2018

The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between high-ranking members of the Republican presidential campaign staff and a Russian lawyer with Kremlin ties remains the cornerstone of claims that Donald Trump colluded with Russia to steal the election.

A growing body of evidence, however, indicates that the meeting may have been a setup -- part of a broad effort to tarnish the Trump campaign involving Hillary Clinton operatives employed by Kremlin-linked figures and Department of Justice officials. This view, that the real collusion may have taken place among those who arranged the meeting rather than the Trump officials who agreed to attend it, is supported by two disparate lines of evidence pulled together for the first time here: newly released records and a pattern of efforts to connect the Trump campaign to Russia.....https://www.realclearinvestigations.com ... setup.html
Gadfly

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 16 Aug 2018, 21:06

So, although Jr. & Co. met with actual Russians to try to sway the election results, it wasn't their fault? Got it.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Aug 2018, 21:21

Wally Bingbang wrote:So, although Jr. & Co. met with actual Russians to try to sway the election results, it wasn't their fault? Got it.

I'm not sure how much clearer it can get, Harv.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Aug 2018, 21:28

Wally Bingbang wrote:So, although Jr. & Co. met with actual Russians to try to sway the election results, it wasn't their fault? Got it.

Yeah, actual Russians promising opposition research who were sent by Clinton and the FBI. And it was free! Clinton paid a million bucks - to Russians - to set up this meet.
Last edited by Jimbo on 16 Aug 2018, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Gadfly

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 16 Aug 2018, 21:29

I think I'm getting closer to a glimpse of the man behind the curtain!

Lord-a-mighty! I'm coming home, Jimbo!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Aug 2018, 21:41

LeBaron wrote:
Copehead wrote:

I think it’s in Northern Virginia, which is full of affluent professionals. I’m not quite so cynical, but a hung jury wouldn’t surprise me.

That judge is gonna be PISSED if the jury hangs. :lol:

WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

I mean, I know there are a lot of charges, but apparently it's not a no-brainer for the jury.
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 17 Aug 2018, 15:41, edited 2 times in total.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 17 Aug 2018, 00:20

Apparently there’s a jury question about reasonable doubt.

Also, the judge just read them the instructions and didn’t give the jury their instructions in writing. Now that IS fuckef up!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 17 Aug 2018, 05:46

LeBaron wrote:Apparently there’s a jury question about reasonable doubt.

I always liked that one but Jay-Z really came into his own on The Blueprint (maybe Hard Knock Life).

Jeez, you'd think a jury would have a have a clue!