President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Davey the Fat Boy

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 30 Jun 2018, 04:20

Now he wants accountability.

I thought there was no “there” there?

Fuck...it’s like a traffic accident. You can’t help but look.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Jun 2018, 20:19

I've read a couple of articles on this Kennedy Jr./Deutsche Bank/Trump business, but I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to infer from it.

Deutsche Bank, through Kennedy Jr, loaned money to Trump when it was a risky proposition and in return Kennedy Sr is vacating his seat? That's not a quid pro quo. That's just Trump getting multiple favors from the Kennedys. Am I missing something?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 30 Jun 2018, 20:45

I’m not sure that there is anything specific to be inferred beyond the fact that there was a business relationship that seemed to be close. But folks who seek conspiracies tend to hang their hats on much less.

The above said - there is something to be said about the fact that Deutsche Bank was giving Trump loans when nobody else would. It was reportedly part of a strategy in which they made loans to risky real-estate tycoons in order to gain a foothold in the US market. With that in mind - the younger Kennedy likely had something substantial to gain through the relationship.

There is also some real possibility that we’ll find out down the line that the junior Kennedy and Trump had a more sinister relationship, as the loud whispers are that Trump was involved in Russian money laundering, and it appears that Deutsche Bank has a checkered history around that very thing:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/31/investi ... index.html

But Jimbo’s not even interested.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jun 2018, 23:03

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: But folks who seek conspiracies tend to hang their hats on much less.

some real possibility … we’ll find out down the line ... sinister relationship ... it appears that … checkered history

Worst conspiracy theorist ever! :lol:
Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jul 2018, 00:03

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: But folks who seek conspiracies tend to hang their hats on much less.

some real possibility … we’ll find out down the line ... sinister relationship ... it appears that … checkered history

Worst conspiracy theorist ever!

Edit.

Okay, so I read what the NYT had to say - which ain't much in this entry - and maybe there is some there there but what?

But they had a connection, one Mr. Trump was quick to note in the moments after his first address to Congress in February 2017. As he made his way out of the chamber, Mr. Trump paused to chat with the justice.

“Say hello to your boy,” Mr. Trump said. “Special guy.”

Mr. Trump was apparently referring to Justice Kennedy’s son, Justin. The younger Mr. Kennedy spent more than a decade at Deutsche Bank, eventually rising to become the bank’s global head of real estate capital markets, and he worked closely with Mr. Trump when he was a real estate developer, according to two people with knowledge of his role.

During Mr. Kennedy’s tenure, Deutsche Bank became Mr. Trump’s most important lender, dispensing well over $1 billion in loans to him for the renovation and construction of skyscrapers in New York and Chicago at a time other mainstream banks were wary of doing business with him because of his troubled business history.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/us/p ... v=top-news

Kennedy son approved a loan to Trump - before he became president - so his father resigns ... why? Being 85 is a good reason to retire. And did Trump repay the loans? As far as Trump getting money from Russians, that's no secret. Trump Jr. said so when asked how they get financing for gold courses. "The Russians," he said. Cenk Uger has enumerated dozens of examples of Trump's corruption. Yeah, the guy is a crook. He even may have somehow strong-armed Kennedy. Trump plays hardball. Your guys are playing kickball.

Besides, singling out this one case of weirdness doesn't negate my larger point that everyone is corrupt.

A CNN review of public event listings for the Clinton Global Initiative's Annual Meeting found partnerships with at least six banks that were under investigation, involved in litigation or had been fined by government agencies and regulators at the time of the meeting.
In every case, the bank in question was listed as a sponsor of the event even after the investigations were widely reported in the media.

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/03/poli ... index.html
Gadfly

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 01 Jul 2018, 01:01

I agree with Jimbo to the extent he says it’s a big nothing burger.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jul 2018, 01:24

For a good look into the mind of a Trump supporter check out the Joe Rogan three hour interview with Ted Nugent. Nugent ain't no dummy, nor is he a phony. He makes some good points about hunting and conservation and the importance of rugged self-reliance and pragmatism. His is a very American mindset that is deeply woven in into our fabric and no amount of liberal logic will dissuade him. I found his biggest fault was his blind spot when it came to Trump, as if Trump never cheated all those Trump U students and other scams because Nugent struck me as being of high morals and integrity. But then Nugent and Trump are both alpha-male high energy types who command attention. With Nugent as a spokesperson of the right the battle for progressive-ism in the US will be a slug fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yp6ZdCIE3k
Last edited by Jimbo on 01 Jul 2018, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Gadfly

Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 01 Jul 2018, 01:26

'three hour interview with Ted Nugent'

you ever try your hand at marketing, Jimbo? :)
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jul 2018, 01:27

ORORORO wrote:'three hour interview with Ted Nugent'

you ever try your hand at marketing, Jimbo? :)

The time flew by. Nugent is a fireball. And it's more like three and a half hours. :oops:
Gadfly

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Jul 2018, 03:01

LeBaron wrote:I agree with Jimbo to the extent he says it’s a big nothing burger.

I’m not saying that it is anything but that.

I’m just chiding him for his lack of curiosity around it. He’s eaten burgers with less.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Jul 2018, 23:05

mmmmmmmmmm, burgers.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 03 Jul 2018, 15:01

Michael Moore on that Bill Maher thing the other night looked straight into camera and told the viewers that if they didn't do something then they'd be responsible for a new wave of fascism in the U.S. It was all very earnest and pleading.

I mean, American BCBers - are you having these kinds of conversations? do you and your friends see Trump as a threat on that kind of level?
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2018, 15:49

ORORORO wrote:
I mean, American BCBers - are you having these kinds of conversations? do you and your friends see Trump as a threat on that kind of level?

Yes and yes, I'm afraid.

Given, I don't have loads of friends and they're all weirdos, but yes.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jul 2018, 16:55

ever since the primary. that whole "lock her up" thing, yelling " get 'em out of here!!!" at protesters as followers manhandled them. He'd point to the News crews and lead the crowd in taunting them.

yeah, it's pretty fucking scary and it's been pretty fucking scary from the get go.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jul 2018, 17:13

I'm not comfortable with "the f-word" even as ghastly things happen. I am comfortable with other words such as Authoritarian.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Jul 2018, 18:24

I am comfortable with other words such as Authoritarian.

Yeah absolutely I see a creep toward that.

Journalists covering the inauguration protests were charged with felony rioting at the time and faced a possible mandatory 5 year prison term.

I think that was a taster, for both the media and the people who often protest things, that the rules of engagement are now changed.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jul 2018, 18:48

ORORORO wrote:Michael Moore on that Bill Maher thing the other night looked straight into camera and told the viewers that if they didn't do something then they'd be responsible for a new wave of fascism in the U.S. It was all very earnest and pleading.

Bill Maher certainly believes that too. My guitar teacher is 65 and was a teenager in the mid to late 60s. When Trump was elected, he predicted the end of democracy and civilisation. I thought to myself, "Yeah, yeah. . . "

Now I think he may be more righter than wronger.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jul 2018, 19:40

bobzilla77 wrote:
I am comfortable with other words such as Authoritarian.

Yeah absolutely I see a creep toward that.

Journalists covering the inauguration protests were charged with felony rioting at the time and faced a possible mandatory 5 year prison term.

I think that was a taster, for both the media and the people who often protest things, that the rules of engagement are now changed.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/ ... 22390.html
maybe the f-word isn't completely out of the question. I mean, who has a problem with "anti-fascist flags" ?
thank God that judge wasn't a nut-job.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Jul 2018, 03:25

I could be wrong but I think shit will turn out all right, as all right as the status quo ever was.
Gadfly

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Jul 2018, 16:22

Unless someone says something mean about Putin. Then it’s gonna beWWIII!!!