President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
bobzilla77

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Feb 2018, 18:00

And I don't watch RT exclusively, of course, but when I do, looking for info about, say, the war in Syria, RT is right on.

Without spending time in Syria you can't possibly know that.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Feb 2018, 23:32

Sneelock wrote:Russia good ‘cause Rachel bad.
Got it.

Do I see here an acknowledgement that Rachael is "bad?" If so, then you and I have a big problem about whom to believe. I was a huge fan of hers a while back. As I was of Keith Olbermann. But they've lost credibility IMO due especially to their over-reportage about Russia supposedly hacking our democracy. Not because Russia is "good," but because we deserve unbiased and critical reports from our media based upon truth and facts and balance. Rachael is now the left wing Stephen Colbert (the truthiness character) and reporting from her gut. She can feel the collusion. Sure she can paste lots of dots on the board which tangentially connect Trump to Putin but has so far failed to connect them. Meanwhile there are outlets doing the same, assembling the dots but keeping and putting shit in perspective. Uncannily often where they find shit Russia is supposedly doing they find that we do the same, or worse. Is that "what-about-ism" or is that keeping shit real?
Gadfly

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Feb 2018, 03:50

From what I can see Jimbo, you only have a few convictions:

- Russia is always good.

- The Democratic Party is always wrong.

- The handful of progressive alternative news outlets you like are always right (except when they contradict each other. Then the most progressive is right).

- Bernie

- Everyone would vote like you if Hillary would let them.

That seems to be it. You have no meaningful rationale for why everyone is so mean to your boy Putin. Just some vague drooling about deep state weapon profiteering that you can’t substantiate.

I don’t get how you even take yourself seriously.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2018, 04:52

You know I didn't hate Hillary at first, after she'd beaten Bernie, of course. My wife and I watched her debate and looked at each other from time to time impressed with how tough, how professionally she came off. But then when she went and chose that anti-abortion doofus Tim Caine to be her VP. It was as if Jane had chosen Cheeta instead of Tarzan to be her mate. Doomed we were from then on. Or maybe Putin made her choose Caine. :?
Gadfly

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Feb 2018, 07:33

So let me get this straight - you hate Hillary because she picked a running mate who has personally expressed anti-abortion views, but is not actively fighting to reverse Roe vs. Wade (as both Trump and Pence are), whose voting record is generally progressive (pro gun-control, opposed Keystone Pipeline, consistently pro-marriage equality, opposes minimum sentences for non-violent drug offenders, pro-dreamer), who is, if anything, generally thought to be to the LEFT of Hillary?

How's the borscht tasting?
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Feb 2018, 07:51

Also, it's Kaine.

Like your "sources," you don't have the greatest credibility when you can't even get the basic facts right.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2018, 12:02

Little Tim Kaine Is the Big Donors’ Best Friend
Just what we need in a Hillary Clinton White House.
By David Dayen
August 5, 2016

https://newrepublic.com/article/135826/ ... est-friend

Ah, now I know why she chose Kaine. My reaction was to the clunkiness of the choice, kind of like in The Last Waltz when Robbie brought on Neil Diamond. But now it makes sense, especially now when we've learned so much more of Hillary's avarice.
Gadfly

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Feb 2018, 15:06

If that article was about Russia. You’d question it.

See how you are?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2018, 16:10

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:If that article was about Russia. You’d question it.

Prior to reading the article I read Kaine's page at Open Secrets and he does have a knack for bringing in the big bucks. Then I went and found an article with a title that might confirm my suspicion and wasn't from NewsMax or FOX. Bingo. Dayen is a solid liberal and it seems like clean cut Kaine ain't as clean as Hatz thinks he is.

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of- ... =N00033177
Gadfly

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Feb 2018, 16:51

Politician raises funds. Film at 11.

If he sold a house to a Russian oligarch for 20 times its value - you’d view it as totally insignificant.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Feb 2018, 17:42

Jimbo wrote:Kaine ain't as clean as Hatz thinks he is.

Your hero taught you well. Truth by implication.

Please show me, either a) where I referred to Kaine as "clean." or b) some hard evidence of some nefarious thing that he actually did that compares even vaguely with how many lives Trump ruins before he's done with his breakfast.

While you're at it, perhaps you might also go about how you think we should punish people for taking money from people we don't approve of.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Feb 2018, 17:57

Jimbo wrote: Then I went and found an article with a title that might confirm my suspicion

That's your approach all over. Decide your stance on something and then find articles to confirm your initial thoughts. Ignore where those articles come from and ignore any other sources that tell a different story.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Feb 2018, 18:01

Confirmation bias.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

"You were caught fucking another woman’s husband in a field while you were married, you camel-faced, racist troglodyte".

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Feb 2018, 18:11

The Modernist wrote:
Jimbo wrote: Then I went and found an article with a title that might confirm my suspicion

That's your approach all over. Decide your stance on something and then find articles to confirm your initial thoughts. Ignore where those articles come from and ignore any other sources that tell a different story.

The site Jimbo references is very reputable. It's run by the Center for Responsive Politics, is non-partisan, and traces money and lobbying to politicians. Let's not throw the whole baby out with the bathwater.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 12 Feb 2018, 18:13, edited 2 times in total.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2018, 18:11

Here's one for your team, Michael Brooks taking down Jimmy Dore. What struck me is when he said how outrage sells and maybe, stupidly, that is a thing that probably attracts me to Dore. But Brook's (and Sam Sedar's) snark and sarcasm doesn't excite me either. But the messengers' delivery is a low priority. I got his point. Nonetheless, I still empathize mostly with Dore's basic message and that is that the system is broken and the biggest problem is the money, which Kaine among many others have no problem with. If money in politics is the system's biggest problem and the guys on our team are playing along, it's like Pete Rose gambling on baseball when he is in the game. You want to keep players like Rose out of the game and then make stricter rules going forward. But the Dems don't learn. What Bernie did by taking money from voters and not big corporations is the model Dore and TYT endorse and is the model the Dems need to endorse if they want to win. Instead they bring on young Kennedy who flopped the first time out of the gate. Not only is he a corporate funded Dem he is a phony - or came off as a phony. It's the phoniness Labowski! Trump won by lying but he lied good. Straight talk, issues and insults. He got 'em like Jimmy Dore got me. But Dore isn't lying. He's an idealist and gets carried away sometimes.
Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2018, 18:15

The Modernist wrote:

No, if I wanted to insult the Democrats I would go to Trump favoring outlets like FOX. Loads of anti-liberal bits there. I specifically said I went to a liberal venue, David Dayen is a famous writer for the liberal side. If a smart liberal or free thinker can confirm my point then I use his or her point.
Gadfly

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Feb 2018, 18:21

And your point is? He raises funds from the wrong people?

I'm glad you're on the case taking on finance reform. :roll:

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2018, 18:25

toomanyhatz wrote:And your point is? He raises funds from the wrong people?

I'm glad you're on the case taking on finance reform. :roll:

Go back to gumming your oatmeal. Wrong people? What, are you Mitt Romney all of a sudden? "Corporations are people my friends." :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Gadfly

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Feb 2018, 18:32

It's the phoniness Labowski!

That's not even a quoteable line from the Big Lebowski!

Credibility issues become insurmountable.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2018, 18:35

bobzilla77 wrote:
It's the phoniness Labowski!

That's not even a quoteable line from the Big Lebowski!

Duh.
Gadfly