President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Still Baron » 04 Dec 2017, 21:22

Still Baron wrote:If they pay attention to current affairs AND get their news from Fox or talk radio, they’ll never know. If they know, they believe in trickle down economics and/or aren’t disposed to resent wealth.

On the other hand ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... d13b666643
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Dec 2017, 22:06

Still Baron wrote:
Still Baron wrote:If they pay attention to current affairs AND get their news from Fox or talk radio, they’ll never know. If they know, they believe in trickle down economics and/or aren’t disposed to resent wealth.

On the other hand ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... d13b666643

What I don't get is where are all these deficit hawk tea party Republicans that were all up in Obama's grill a few years ago.

Conspicuously quiet.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Dec 2017, 22:54

sloopjohnc wrote:It's brilliant on Trump's part - convincing millions of people that reputable news sources aren't valid. I think that's one of the canniest feats he's performed.

well, he had a lot of help priming the pump. Like a lot of what TRUMP does - he states flatly and defiantly what has been more or less accepted dogma for years. the "untrustworthy liberal media" routine has been part of the right's playbook for a while. Hate Radio & Tabloid News have badgered at this pretty relentlessly. TRUMP ups the stakes even further but I think a lot of the heavy lifting was done for him - still, it takes a lot of nerve.

as for the failing media stuff - I'm certainly part of the problem. the two headed monster of very bad reporting and not getting my paper delivered for days at a time cured me of subscribing to the L.A.Times. they still have some good writers and they still do some good work. BUT, just as I was learning to live without paying for news, along came the internet.

Nowadays, if I click on a link and there's a paywall, I go somewhere else. I doubt I'm alone in this. Also, I personally think much of the coverage is SUPER lame. take the Tax Bill, almost every reputable news source played this in the favored "horse race" manner. "Do Republicans have enough votes to win?"
sure, there was SOME analysis and context and I do understand that the bill was Top Secret but still, news without analysis isn't really news at all.
Last edited by Sneelock on 04 Dec 2017, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Dec 2017, 22:54

sloopjohnc wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:JUST IN: @BrianRoss on @ABC News Special Report: Michael Flynn promised "full cooperation to the Mueller team" and is prepared to testify that as a candidate, Donald Trump "directed him to make contact with the Russians." http://abcn.ws/2AhU3Iq

Holy fucking shit! :shock:

If this is true, and I hope the report is confirmed by more than two sources, this is a bombshell. It puts Trump on the firing line.

When I wrote this, I suspected that the source wasn't confirmed and it was a hasty rush to get it out there.

I kinda expected more out of Brian Ross.

Maybe I shouldn't have expected more out of Ross

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/04/media/a ... index.html
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Dec 2017, 23:26

sloopjohnc wrote:Maybe I shouldn't have expected more out of Ross

Sounds more like the editor or fact-checker's fault to me.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Dec 2017, 23:40

Snarfyguy wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Maybe I shouldn't have expected more out of Ross

Sounds more like the editor or fact-checker's fault to me.

It's everyone's fault. The reporter knows he needs two sources. And it's the editors fault for not asking what they were.

That's why CNN was questioning ABC's process. That's the larger problem.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 05 Dec 2017, 00:05

Still Baron wrote:I prefer pleaded but pled is commonly used in colloquial American speech. For better or worse. The word choice is no big deal, particularly as it was meant to come from a barely literate person.

Then there’s this

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... et/547361/
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Dec 2017, 16:35

I'm seeing reports that Mueller has gotten his hands on Trump's Deutsche Bank records. If Trump fires Mueller, will anything actually happen other than people blinking their eyes in surprise and wondering "can he do that? I guess so?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... are_btn_tw
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 05 Dec 2017, 17:00

I think they gave him an arbitrary deadline. I fully expect a '"we are wasting the taxpayers money on this unprecedented witch hunt" sort of thing any time now.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 05 Dec 2017, 18:03

"federal overreach" he calls it.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 05 Dec 2017, 20:36

How much longer do we have to hear about this fucking Alabama election? When is it fucking happening?!?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 05 Dec 2017, 21:25

I'm more worried about how long left we have of Trump to be honest.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Dec 2017, 21:35

Harvey K-Tel wrote:How much longer do we have to hear about this fucking Alabama election? When is it fucking happening?!?

Dec. 12 - a week from today.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2017, 21:40

At lunch, I watched the Sanders-Huckabee press conference. The woman is a master of evasiveness and obfuscation.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 06 Dec 2017, 00:32

Snarfyguy wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:How much longer do we have to hear about this fucking Alabama election? When is it fucking happening?!?

Dec. 12 - a week from today.

Ah, good. I thought we maybe had a couple more years of this nonsense.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 06 Dec 2017, 03:06

pcqgod wrote:I'm seeing reports that Mueller has gotten his hands on Trump's Deutsche Bank records. If Trump fires Mueller, will anything actually happen other than people blinking their eyes in surprise and wondering "can he do that? I guess so?"

I think that’s one line that will get Republicans in Congress stirring and thinking seriously about impeachment. I have no doubt he CAN do it, but that’s not a defense to impeachment.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 06 Dec 2017, 03:07

sloopjohnc wrote:At lunch, I watched the Sanders-Huckabee press conference. The woman is a master of evasiveness and obfuscation.

And to think, I thought Ari Fleischer was a nut.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 06 Dec 2017, 03:25

sloopjohnc wrote:At lunch, I watched the Sanders-Huckabee press conference. The woman is a master of evasiveness and obfuscation.

I keep trying to tell people that her skills are top notch, she just happens to be using them for evil.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017