President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Still Baron » 07 Oct 2017, 20:57

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Oct 2017, 18:44

At this point I do believe he will be re-elected.

The people opposed to him are many, but they will not be able to get it together. They will insist on running a saint and bodily oppose anyone who doesn't qualify for what they perceive as sainthood.

And the Republicans will vote for the Republican.

We'll be here a while, folks. An 800-page thread.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Oct 2017, 08:04

Jimbo wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Too bad Jimbo's off at some festival when he could finally be getting his mitts on these FaceBook ads that didn't exist and even if they did, didn't work, even though they were looked at by millions of people and appear to have whipped some people into various kinds of frenzies (anti-Muslim, anti-black, whatever, take your pick) as evidenced by cries for blood on message boards, although those cries may have just come from bots, which certainly have nothing to do with any charges of "interfering" with the election!

Even if Russian planted ads of opposing opinions in order to sow dissension amid the US populace it would be like pouring water into a lake already filled with varying opinions. It'd be the dumbest propaganda ploy ever.

Russia-gate Jumps the Shark
October 10, 2017
https://consortiumnews.com/2017/10/10/r ... the-shark/

For instance, on Tuesday, the major news outlets were filled with the latest lurid chapter of Russia-gate, how Google, the Internet’s dominant search engine, had detected suspected “Russia-linked” accounts that bought several thousand dollars worth of ads …“Russian operatives bought ads across several of Google’s services without the company’s knowledge, the latest evidence that their campaign to influence U.S. voters was as sprawling as it was sophisticated in deploying the technology industry’s most powerful tools.” …“One Russian-linked account spent $7,000 on ads to promote a documentary called ‘You’ve Been Trumped,’ a film about Donald Trump’s efforts to build a golf course in Scotland along an environmentally sensitive coastline … Another spent $30,000 on ads questioning whether President Obama needed to resign. Another bought ads to promote political merchandise for Obama…At Facebook, after two searches found nothing – and after a personal visit from Sen. Mark Warner, D-Virginia, vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and a key legislator on the high-tech industry – the social media company turned up $100,000 in “Russia-linked” ads spread out over three years (compared to its annual revenue of $27 billion). Facebook also reported that only 44 percent of the ads appeared before the 2016 election..The New York Times discovered that one of the “Russia-linked” Facebook groups was devoted to photos of “adorable puppies...we are witnessing is a mainstream stampede similar to what preceded the Iraq War in 2003.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Oct 2017, 16:58

Note how Parry and his minion Jimbo have seized onto the "$100,000 in Russian ads" in an effort to pretend that the Russia question is only about Facebook ads.

Meanwhile...not a word about Russian troll farms.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagot ... y,amp.html
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Oct 2017, 17:02

Nixon ordered his cronies to firebomb the Brookings Institute. the firebombing never took place. You either think this STILL leaves a BLOT on President Nixon or you don't. I certainly goddam do.

If Cambridge Analytica was in cahoots with Russians, this is a blot - it doesn't matter what was carried out - if they provided info then they suck. If these Russians end up being people who had business dealings with ANY of the colorful characters in the campaign then THAT sucks.

Jimbo, I'm glad you have a little hobby and that it keeps you off the streets but I don't think I'm anybody's chump because I think this shit sucks.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Oct 2017, 17:06

bobzilla77 wrote:At this point I do believe he will be re-elected.

The people opposed to him are many, but they will not be able to get it together. They will insist on running a saint and bodily oppose anyone who doesn't qualify for what they perceive as sainthood.

I agree with the likely to be re-elected part and the 800 page thread part. I DON'T agree with the running a saint part. I mean, when has THAT ever happened? McGovern & Dukakis were hardly saints and I think they're the closest to what I think you mean when you say it - ideologically "pure" or what have you. MOST Democratic candidates for President are aimed squarely at that great big glorious MIDDLE.

I think we should be so lucky if they ran a saint. I mean that could be a freak show comparable to running a reality TV star. I think they'll run somebody that the "Take Government Back" crowd can call "the same old shit" even if the Government is pretty much taken back at that point.
Last edited by Sneelock on 11 Oct 2017, 21:54, edited 2 times in total.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Oct 2017, 17:07

There is certainly a danger of that.

But the bright side is this:

Trump won by 77k votes spread over three battleground states. In the time since he has lost support from those who voted for him. Not a lot, but a lot more than the margin he won by.

If Hillary Clinton could draw him down to such a narrow win, and if his base is still receding rather than growing in November of 2020 - then it stands to reason that even a slightly more popular candidate than Clinton ought to have a strong chance of beating him.

Of course, a lot could happen. But that's the track I see when they talk about what he's "on track" for.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Oct 2017, 17:09

I think the real wild card right now is Bob Corker (or as the President of the United States likes to call him 'Liddle Bob Corker')
He's not running so he has nothing to lose. others sign on to saying the Emperor has no clothes or they don't.

they might. it's not likely but they might. a lot of media conservatives have. it could make a difference.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Oct 2017, 17:11

A lot of Republicans are going to feel freed up to speak their minds after the 2018 midterms.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Oct 2017, 17:11

So now Trump is talking with the NFL owners about 'the kneel' debate - and there appears to be some chance that Roger Goodell (the NFL chairman) is going to instruct the owners to instruct their coaches to instruct their players to stand during the National anthem this weekend.

Roger - kiss goodbye to your job. We'll have every fucking player in the game kneeling this weekend if that instruction is made.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... nal-anthem

"We live in a country that can feel very divided. Sports, and especially the NFL, brings people together and lets them set aside those divisions, at least for a few hours. The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.

"I'm very proud of our players and owners who have done the hard work over the past year to listen, understand and attempt to address the underlying issues within their communities. At our September committee meetings, we heard directly from several players about why these issues are so important to them and how we can support their work. And last week, we met with the leadership of the NFLPA and more players to advance the dialogue.

"Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

"Building on many discussions with clubs and players, we have worked to develop a plan that we will review with you at next week's League meeting. This would include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues, and that will help to promote positive change in our country. We want to ensure that any work at the League level is consistent with the work that each club is doing in its own community, and that we dedicate a platform that can enable these initiatives to succeed. Additionally, we will continue the unprecedented dialogue with our players.

"I expect and look forward to a full and open discussion of these issues when we meet next week in New York. Everyone involved in the game needs to come together on a path forward to continue to be a force for good within our communities, protect the game, and preserve our relationship with fans throughout the country. The NFL is at its best when we ourselves are unified. In that spirit, let's resolve that next week we will meet this challenge in a unified and positive way."
So you're living in Eden where, apples are good
But every narrow miracle, takes place on Earth
Yeah, some militia have arrived and, the percussion has come
And they're pounding out messages loud on the drum

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Oct 2017, 17:17

This country is going to suuuuck until President Kaepernick takes over in 2020.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Oct 2017, 17:27

:lol:

the worst thing about this whole "NFL Debate" is how cool the people who are promoting it are with how transparent it is.
"it's about respecting the flag" - from kneeling? EVERYBODY KNOWS this is about shutting up black people's concerns because some white people don't want to hear it. straight up. everybody knows that's what is going on and that all this "patriotic" crap is just a convenient way to shut people up (as "patriotic" crap usually is)

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Oct 2017, 18:20

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Note how Parry and his minion Jimbo have seized onto the "$100,000 in Russian ads" in an effort to pretend that the Russia question is only about Facebook ads.

Meanwhile...not a word about Russian troll farms.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagot ... y,amp.html

Last week, congressional investigators urged Facebook to expand its review into “troll farms” supposedly based in Belarus, Macedonia and Estonia – although Estonia is by no means a Russian ally; it joined NATO in 2004.
https://consortiumnews.com/2017/09/22/? ... int-search

And the article you cited, well the closest it comes to Russian government involvement is Putin's favorite chef? And that two Russian courts saw no smoke in the supposed whistleblower's case could mean all sorts of things but to put it down to a government coverup? Maybe but talk about weak tea. Am I supposed to believe that large proportion of internet trolls - the article didn't make too much distinction between the trolls on the Young Turks who call Cenk Fatso and comment on Anna's tits and what, a mean comment on an NBC News site? Your article was short on examples.

Davey, sooner or later you will realize that the US today is the USSR of the past with the US government and our secret police micromanaging information and fighting stupid wars.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 19:30

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:This country is going to suuuuck until President Kaepernick takes over in 2020.

I heard a very real rumour that he's being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Trump tried to rile the public up by tweeting that the NFL was tax exempt. It was, but that ended in 2015. When he found out, he essentially tweeted, "Yeah, but look at all the public money that goes into stadiums."

Trump was a USFL owner and wanted very badly to be integrated into the NFL as an owner. They wouldn't let Donny into the club.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Oct 2017, 19:54

sloopjohnc wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:This country is going to suuuuck until President Kaepernick takes over in 2020.

Trump tried to rile the public up by tweeting that the NFL was tax exempt. It was, but that ended in 2015. When he found out, he essentially tweeted, "Yeah, but look at all the public money that goes into stadiums."

Trump was a USFL owner and wanted very badly to be integrated into the NFL as an owner. They wouldn't let Donny into the club.

I thin k he took them to court... won nominal damages of about $3 (yes, 3 bucks) and was then issued with a lifetime ban.
So you're living in Eden where, apples are good
But every narrow miracle, takes place on Earth
Yeah, some militia have arrived and, the percussion has come
And they're pounding out messages loud on the drum

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Oct 2017, 20:52

Diamond Dog wrote:
Football Boss, presumably, wrote:The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues.

Now that is some fucking bullshit, if you'll pardon my french.

Samantha Bee had a good bit where she sarcastically thanked Trump for making this conversation about "black men and their owners and how they should feel privileged to work on a field" or words to that effect. Pretty effective, I thought (though I didn't see it).
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 11 Oct 2017, 20:55

mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Oct 2017, 21:15

Way to early to say that surely? I'd say the odds are greater that he'll do something catastrophic or there'll been some serious wrongdoing exposed that will lead to his removal from office.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:16

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

I thin k he took them to court... won nominal damages of about $3 (yes, 3 bucks) and was then issued with a lifetime ban.

It's in an ESPN documentary. The filmmaker presents him with the check. Trump was not amused.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Oct 2017, 21:52