President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Sneelock

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Sneelock » 01 Nov 2017, 17:14

it's a growing concern. I mean, I can't wrap my head around how Viktor Yanukovych being characterized as "Puppet of the Russian Government" could be, in any way, seen as a statement to stir controversy. I mean, where does the guy live?

Also,I don’t get the whole "New Nixon" change of heart on Putin by the American Right and great chunks of the left. Putin as a world-wide agent of good and a foe of corruption! excuse me? what the fuck happened? I have a theory.

the center went plooey. it used to be that certain things could be agreed to by people on either side of the fence. On my high school debate team one side could say the government should do THIS - the other side would debate that it shouldn't. we would take opposing positions but the discussion would be based on both sides working from the assumption that government was, one way or the other, a good thing. those days are over.

RT gives voice to people like Stephen Miller. I don't like Stephen Miller but I do like Thom Hartman. Thom Hartman is also featured on RT. So, what's the problem with giving people with a wide range of opinions a forum to discuss their views? well, nothing in most ways but I think something bad has happened in a larger sense. there is no consensus. I'm just using RT as an example. I think news agencies are increasingly more concerned with upsetting the applecart than with the apple cart getting to the market. They have been hitting us over the head with our news for a while now. our positions have become more important than the events in many ways. I think it's making us crazy.
Last edited by Sneelock on 01 Nov 2017, 21:14, edited 7 times in total.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Nov 2017, 17:15

mommy.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Nov 2017, 17:22

Sneelock wrote: I do like Thom Hartman. Thom Hartman is also featured on RT.

Hartmann is gone from RT. I clicked on his "Big Picture" show and there was some other host. Maybe Thom was on vacation I thought but I noticed all the other Big Picture links featured the not-Hartmann. Went to his homepage and he said he left RT because he was getting older and had too much on his plate. My Jimbo said it was because he was warned off RT by the Twitter ban, Russia-gate thing, etc.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Nov 2017, 17:23

it sounds shallow but I'm glad he's gone.
I guess I'm a pretty shallow guy in a lot of ways.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Nov 2017, 19:42

Jimbo wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Jimbo wrote:[T]he emails were not "hacked" by Russians but leaked.

So what? I don't understand how this distinction has any broader relevance.

Are not the hacked HRC/DNC emails at the core of the "meddling?"

No, they're entirely incidental. The case for "collusion" or "meddling" in no way hinges on these emails or what happened to them.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Nov 2017, 19:53

once again, they kept saying people never talked to people it turned out they talked to. that's a red flag in and of itself, isn't it?
as for Manafort, I hope this story gets more play just because he is such a king sized SLEAZEBAG. I mean, I can see MARCOS hiring a guy like that but a guy who claimed to want to "drain the swamp"??? it's outrageous.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Nov 2017, 20:11

I know right? Every picture I see of him looks like he should have stink lines coming off him.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Nov 2017, 20:56

Trump's defense seems to be that, although he hired a criminal to run his campaign, he didn't *know* the guy was a criminal, and in any case, the criminal conduct pre-dated the hiring.

Even though the time periods of the criminal conduct and the campaign-running overlap. :roll:

Also, I like how Trump immediately throws Manafort overboard. No "innocent until proven guilty" or "we'll get to the bottom of this." Just straight to "Well, that doesn't affect me!"

I wonder what he'll have to say if/when the feds bag Flynn.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Nov 2017, 21:11

I’ll bet Flynn sings like a canary.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Nov 2017, 21:58

The man should be impeached for doing a Pizza Hut commercial back in the day. Nasty shit - the tomato sauce is like battery acid.

Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Nov 2017, 22:28

Now, he’s eating America crust first.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 01 Nov 2017, 23:05

bobzilla77 wrote:I know right? Every picture I see of him looks like he should have stink lines coming off him.

There’s a funny story about his “rich tastes” in the NYT today where they tried to find the places where he has dropped hundreds of thousands on rugs and suits and he’s basically described as a classless rube with more money than sense. It’s a little sad, actually.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Nov 2017, 23:56

Still Baron wrote: It’s a little sad, actually.

Careful!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Nov 2017, 00:36

I wonder why him and DJT hung out together.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 02 Nov 2017, 02:41

bobzilla77 wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:So I haven't been around much since the election, let me see if I'm following this correctly: Jimbo is a pro Trump and Putin guy and the rest of you seem to not be insane?

Yeah I don't really know what happened there. The conspiracy theorist has gone all in for the authoritarian state "winning hearts and minds in capitals around the world."

I think it's possible he is himself one of those Russians that earns a living posting fake news stuff on western message boards and chat rooms. It's less of a stretch than some of the stuff he accepts as plausible. I mean - we know for a fact that those people exist. Why wouldn't they target good old BCB?

Or else he's just one of the millions of people reeled in by that stuff.

Thanks for the responses everyone... and yeah, this makes the most sense to me.
the Eagles suck.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Nov 2017, 03:11

Good to see you, Matty Red Sox!

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 02 Nov 2017, 04:36

Sneelock wrote:Good to see you, Matty Red Sox!

Are you on Facebook? I live there...
the Eagles suck.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Nov 2017, 06:31

Yass I yam.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 07:16

Jimbo wrote:
Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News. Parry somehow manages to demolish the official NYT or WAPO story about "Russia-gate" every time. Parry is on top of it. This morning I was at a loss about Snarf's entry about Papadopolus. I had a peek at CN and there it was, the anti-official Papadopolus narrative! And Parry is the real deal when it comes to investigative reporting. Parry is not a "911 truther" (worse luck). Forget Davey's denigrations of Parry. Davey usually only manages some snark and a roll-eye emogee and can't refute what a veteran independent reporter has to say, certainly not well enough to dissuade me and 1000s of other CN readers.

Note how Parry is almost always comparing his Russia-gate story to what's in the NYT and then shows how the NYT is wrong, i.e, that 17 security agencies agreed that Russians hacked HRC's emails. He knew that there were only three and sure enough after much time when all the MSM pundits were saying 17 the NYT corrected themselves to say only three. In a media world where there are so many different story versions it would behoove the NYT, etc., to include a paragraph or two of what others say about the same story and then debunk or agree with them. That's what Parry does. But the NYT doesn't because of what? They hate Trump enough to print fake news about him? Surely someone over there reads Parry. Why no rebuttals?

Let’s settle this Robert Parry thing once and for all. You insist that he’s a great “investigative journalist”? Fine. Let’s put that to a test.

Here’s his most recent article (surprise...more Russia)...sight unseen by me. I’m going to bet that you can’t point out a few instances of investigative reporting.

Here’s the link:

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/10/31/s ... ssia-mess/

Oh...and feel free to do the same with his next article. I feel pretty confident that they tend will extend into the his future writings.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 02 Nov 2017, 09:54

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Let’s settle this Robert Parry thing once and for all. You insist that he’s a great “investigative journalist”? Fine. Let’s put that to a test.

Here’s his most recent article (surprise...more Russia)...sight unseen by me. I’m going to bet that you can’t point out a few instances of investigative reporting.

Here’s the link:

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/10/31/s ... ssia-mess/

Oh...and feel free to do the same with his next article. I feel pretty confident that they tend will extend into the his future writings.

No.

From Wikipedia - Robert Parry (born June 24, 1949) is an American investigative journalist best known for his role in covering the Iran-Contra affair for the Associated Press (AP) and Newsweek, including breaking the Psychological Operations in Guerrilla Warfare (CIA manual provided to the Nicaraguan contras) and the CIA and Contras cocaine trafficking in the US scandal in 1985. He was awarded the George Polk Award for National Reporting in 1984 and the I.F. Stone Medal for Journalistic Independence by Harvard's Nieman Foundation in 2015. He has been the editor of Consortiumnews since 1995. … persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom.

My kind of guy!
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom