Former President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Jan 2017, 23:32

Jimbo wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:...As libs, Davy, Hatz, me, Snee, we have our liberal information outlets ...

Can't speak for the others, but...I don't think I have a "liberal information outlet." I have liberal perspective outlets. Information is actually non-partisan.

Might be your problem right there.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Jan 2017, 01:49

Count Machuki wrote:From good old FB. This oughta keep you busy for a minute.

Suzan Eraslan has taken up the herculean task of listing all the bonkers things that have happened in and around the Trump presidency. it is important to list these things as they happen so we don't normalize them.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the DOJ’s Violence Against Women programs.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Arts.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Humanities.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Minority Business Development Agency.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Economic Development Administration.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the International Trade Administration.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Legal Services Corporation.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Environmental and Natural Resources Division of the DOJ.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Electricity Deliverability and Energy Reliability.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Fossil Energy.
* On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered all regulatory powers of all federal agencies frozen.
* On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered the National Parks Service to stop using social media after RTing factual, side by side photos of the crowds for the 2009 and 2017 inaugurations.
* On January 20th, 2017, roughly 230 protestors were arrested in DC and face unprecedented felony riot charges. Among them were legal observers, journalists, and medics.
* On January 20th, 2017, a member of the International Workers of the World was shot in the stomach at an anti-fascist protest in Seattle. He remains in critical condition.
* On January 21st, 2017, DT brought a group of 40 cheerleaders to a meeting with the CIA to cheer for him during a speech that consisted almost entirely of framing himself as the victim of dishonest press.
* On January 21st, 2017, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer held a press conference largely to attack the press for accurately reporting the size of attendance at the inaugural festivities, saying that the inauguration had the largest audience of any in history, “period.”
* On January 22nd, 2017, White House advisor Kellyann Conway defended Spicer’s lies as “alternative facts” on national television news.
* On January 22nd, 2017, DT appeared to blow a kiss to director James Comey during a meeting with the FBI, and then opened his arms in a gesture of strange, paternal affection, before hugging him with a pat on the back.
* On January 23rd, 2017, DT reinstated the global gag order, which defunds international organizations that even mention abortion as a medical option.
* On January 23rd, 2017, Spicer said that the US will not tolerate China’s expansion onto islands in the South China Sea, essentially threatening war with China.
* On January 23rd, 2017, DT repeated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing him the popular vote.
* On January 23rd, 2017, it was announced that the man who shot the anti-fascist protester in Seattle was released without charges, despite turning himself in.
* On January 24th, 2017, Spicer reiterated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing DT the popular vote.
* On January 24th, 2017, DT tweeted a picture from his personal Twitter account of a photo he says depicts the crowd at his inauguration and will hang in the White House press room. The photo is curiously dated January 21st, 2017, the day AFTER the inauguration and the day of the Women’s March, the largest inauguration related protest in history.
* On January 24th, 2017, the EPA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to freeze all grants and contracts.
* On January 24th, 2017, the USDA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to stop publishing any papers or research. All communication with the press would also have to be authorized and vetted by the White House.
* On January 24th, 2017, HR7, a bill that would prohibit federal funding not only to abortion service providers, but to any insurance coverage, including Medicaid, that provides abortion coverage, went to the floor of the House for a vote.
* On January 24th, 2017, Director of the Department of Health and Human Service nominee Tom Price characterized federal guidelines on transgender equality as “absurd.”
* On January 24th, 2017, DT ordered the resumption of construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline, while the North Dakota state congress considers a bill that would legalize hitting and killing protestors with cars if they are on roadways.
* On January 24th, 2017, it was discovered that police officers had used confiscated cell phones to search the emails and messages of the 230 demonstrators now facing felony riot charges for protesting on January 20th, including lawyers and journalists whose email accounts contain privileged information of clients and sources.

Where does it say he stopped TPP?
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Jan 2017, 03:19

toomanyhatz wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:...As libs, Davy, Hatz, me, Snee, we have our liberal information outlets ...

Can't speak for the others, but...I don't think I have a "liberal information outlet." I have liberal perspective outlets. Information is actually non-partisan.

Might be your problem right there.

No, "perspective" is the word I meant. Thank you.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Jan 2017, 06:00

Holy fuck. I know I say shit that is somewhat pro-Trump from time to time. That is only because I hope he does some of the things he said in his campaign that I agreed with especially putting Russia and the US in a better, friendlier relationship. But that dude is fucking crazy with a capital "K"! Did you see in his ABC big time TV interview how he bitched about the media reportage of the inaugural crowd size? On the wall he even has beautifully framed (with only the best frames) photos of the mere one week ago Inauguration Day crowds. He actually said it was the biggest turnout "in history."

Putin, comrade, baby, please, if you are going to intervene in America do it now!
Question authority.

Thang-y

Donald Trump

Postby Thang-y » 27 Jan 2017, 09:42

Jimbo wrote: Did you see in his ABC big time TV interview how he bitched about the media reportage of the inaugural crowd size? On the wall he even has beautifully framed (with only the best frames) photos of the mere one week ago Inauguration Day crowds. He actually said it was the biggest turnout "in history."

You can't argue with facts, Jimbo. The photo of the flag-waving masses at the inauguration that he has - had - on his Twitter account is truly impressive.

Oh hang on - they used the photo from Obama's inauguration. Ooops.

Re: Donald Trump

Postby ... » 27 Jan 2017, 16:00

Thang-y wrote:From New Scientist

The world just ticked a bit closer to Doomsday thanks to Trump
30 seconds closer to disaster
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
By Raymond Pierrehumbert

It is now 30 seconds closer to midnight on the Doomsday Clock, the symbol maintained by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists to show the state of threats to human civilisation.

Now set at two and a half minutes to midnight, the only time the setting has been more dire was in the 1950s when the clock stood at two minutes to midnight in the depths of the Cold War.

The clock was introduced in 1947 (set at 7 minutes to midnight) as a graphic indication of how close we were to nuclear Armageddon because of the advent of atomic weapons. In 2007, the calculus of doom was expanded to include the existential threat posed by human-induced climate disruption. While colleagues assessed new nuclear worries, it was on climate that I reviewed the events of 2016 to help set the clock as a member of the bulletin’s science and security board.

In many ways last year was shaping up as a promising one for progress on the climate problem. Notably, the successful conclusion of the Paris agreement for the first time set emissions targets out to 2030 embracing virtually all the nations of the world. These may be enough (if honoured) to keep global emission rates roughly flat between now and then – a major step forward compared to exponential growth – but that will not be enough.

In view of the millennial-scale duration of the effects of carbon dioxide emissions on climate, in the years past 2030, emissions need to fall to essentially zero, and they must do so relatively quickly. It is not clear how that will happen. Still, it was progress.

But then came the nightmare November election of Donald Trump as US president, giving him control of the White house with no real prospect of checks and balances from either house of the US Congress House or the Supreme Court.

Once the initial shock wore off there was a lot of naive and wishful thinking about the chances that he would pivot from his stance as a candidate, and govern more pragmatically than he campaigned.

Disdain for science
Actions taken since the election have put paid to any such hopes, and shown an unprecedented disdain for credible science. Scott Pruitt, Trump’s nominee to head the Environmental Protection Agency, has not only denied the overwhelming scientific consensus on the human role in climate change and the magnitude of the problem, but has even made a career out of fighting regulation of emission of such obvious and immediately harmful poisons such as mercury.

Trump has declared the Obama Climate Action Plan to be harmful and unnecessary, and has expunged all mention of climate from the White House web site. Worse, in a foreshadowing of the gagging of federal scientists, the Environmental Protection Agency was ordered to take down its climate information web page, imperiling years of work in putting together material to educate the public in the sound science of the matter. That order was later retracted.

The president has immediately revived the Keystone XL pipeline, which in itself does not lead to release of a significant amount of carbon, but provides profits fueling further development of Alberta tar sands oil, which does represent a considerable threat to climate.

Trump’s posturing about exports and trade wars could make Chinese renewable energy technologies more expensive for Americans, and involve (dubiously legal) attempts to subsidise the export of coal – though there will be few takers for that if China stays its course in reducing coal consumption. There is much, much more of a similar nature, and we are barely into the first week since the inauguration.

How bad is it?
So why move the clock forward just a half minute, if the outlook is so bleak?

It’s because the other shoe has not yet dropped, though it is clearly untied and in plain view in Trump’s hand. We do not know how many of his policies will be enacted.

The US accounts for about 20 per cent of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions, but it is only 20 per cent, and presidential policy has leverage over only a small portion of that; the effect on emissions over eight (or let’s hope it’s only four) years will be significant, but not a game changer, unless Trump’s disdain for climate action infects the global process.

After all, US emissions rose more under the climate-friendly administration of president Bill Clinton than under the climate-hostile one of Bush junior. Economic forces are likely to stymie any Trump attempt to stem the decline of coal production.

Progress can still be made at the state level (if the administration respects state-level rights that Republicans claim to hold so dear), and there may be room for common ground on infrastructure projects that could include building a smart electricity grid, or developing new nuclear reactor designs.

The clean energy revolution can provide good manufacturing jobs for exactly those disaffected workers who put Trump into office. Democrats and progressive Republicans should seize such opportunities, but not be duped into thinking they can make a deal with a president who has so abundantly demonstrated dishonesty.

The entry of the term “alternative facts” into the lexicon (for outright lies) is one of the more disconcerting harbingers of what dealing with the new administration will be like. Despair is not an option.

Progressives of all parties should be prepared to resist Trump’s policies at every turn, but above all should not neglect the task of building a new generation of leadership who will be ready to challenge Trump when his support collapses, as it surely will once Americans wake up to the realities of what a Trump administration means.

You read it here first on Weds Nov 9 - all the way back on page 196 of the US elections thread

fueryIre wrote:The lunatics truly have taken over the asylum.

Time to move the nuclear clock forward a couple of minutes...

http://thebulletin.org/timeline

Anyone want to buy some winning numbers for this week's lottery?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jan 2017, 00:29

I thought this article was outstanding. Somebody who was raised and politicized by the evangelical right outlines Operation PENCE.
https://www.autostraddle.com/i-was-trai ... ah-367057/
uggy poopy doody.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jan 2017, 00:48

I've figured something out - he's the grownup version of bullies we dealt with in Jr. High. He actually gets an emotional charge out of denying people things. That's what's truly scary. I don't think he cares if you're black, gay or foreign. He just enjoys saying "you can't have this." That's why EVERY decision he's made so far is a negative one. He hasn't actually accomplished ANYTHING other than denying people things.

And I suspect, once he runs out of things he can deny people, he'll lose interest.

Can anybody name me one single thing he's done that didn't involve taking something away? A single plan about what he's actually going to DO?
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jan 2017, 00:50

Make America Great again!!! :lol:
uggy poopy doody.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jan 2017, 01:02

I will say (in deference to Jimbo more than him) that I DO agree with him about the TPP and NAFTA. But even those suit the same reasons. I think his interest is the same - it involves taking something away.
Footy wrote:

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Jan 2017, 01:19

sneelock wrote:Make America Great again!!! :lol:

Okay .. I'll start a GO FUND ME page.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jan 2017, 03:48

Now isn't this more fun than a boring old Hillary Clinton presidency? Huh, kids, huh?
Question authority.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jan 2017, 03:54

Jimbo wrote:Now isn't this more fun than a boring old Hillary Clinton presidency? Huh, kids, huh?

Umm...no.

And the right's deep hatred of Hillary would definitely go a long way toward keeping things interesting.
Footy wrote:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jan 2017, 04:01

toomanyhatz wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Now isn't this more fun than a boring old Hillary Clinton presidency? Huh, kids, huh?

Umm...no.

Putin! :x
Question authority.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 28 Jan 2017, 18:19

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -be-denied

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol ... story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/us/r ... v=top-news

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/28/tru ... -shameful/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... -countries

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/m ... 80489.html

The final link (in German, alas) is of particular interest. Google is calling employees back, and Zuckerberg of FB also has vented his dissatisfaction with Trump's Wild West tactics. Some of the Big Ones are not that enamoured with the actions of the Commander In Chief, it seems.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Jan 2017, 20:26

I am generally pretty unflappable about these things, but reading that people with valid visas and legal permanent residence status are being held or turned away is absolutely stunning. I'm at a loss for words.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Jan 2017, 20:30

It's a great day for racism!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Jan 2017, 21:08

Harvey K-Tel wrote:It's a great day for racism!

Agreed ........ :(
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Jan 2017, 21:12

Still Baron wrote:I am generally pretty unflappable about these things, but reading that people with valid visas and legal permanent residence status are being held or turned away is absolutely stunning. I'm at a loss for words.

It beggars belief. Something dreadful seems to happen every few hours.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jan 2017, 21:14

And Theresa May will neither condone nor condemn it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “Nextdoorland”