President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Aug 2017, 04:34

Jimbo wrote:Seeing this bit again gives me pause. The "straight up to Putin" jibe strikes me as gratuitous.

Jimbo - it's not a jibe, and it isn't gratuitous. The hierarchy does go straight up to Putin. I don't see how it could be much plainer.

Jimbo wrote:... then it is most reasonable to assume the meeting was a plea to have the sanctions lifted.

Yes... by whom? Remember, everybody at this point thought HRC was a shoo-in. Was she going to lift the sanctions? They wanted Trump in so that HE would lift the sanctions (which, remember, were directly affecting HIS wallet too).

Jimbo wrote:Charley, my beef now is with the Democrats who are ready to make war over Russia supposedly "hacking of our democracy" when that is one, unproven

It is rapidly being proven.

Jimbo wrote:and two, tiny potatoes compared to the hyper-mafia goings on between Trump and those gangsters.

Jimbo, it's all the same fucking meal!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Aug 2017, 05:00

Charlie O. wrote:
Jimbo wrote:and two, tiny potatoes compared to the hyper-mafia goings on between Trump and those gangsters.

Jimbo, it's all the same fucking meal!

If it's the same meal then then "hacking" must be something smothered in red white and blue treacle from the kids menu. Our poor democracy. Think of the children! :roll:

And if Putin's Russia is shown to be a corrupt gangster-ocracy what does that make the USA, the mark of marks? No, the USA is complicit and corrupt as hell and Trump is the logical choice of a nation where greed and avarice is an attribute. Had the Dems pushed the most honorable and popular candidate instead of baggage laden HRC Trump would likely be poof!
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Aug 2017, 05:13

I give up.

Again.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Aug 2017, 05:24

A campaign aiming to broaden the Democratic base launched Tuesday with support from several powerful members of the party's establishment plans to support pro-life candidates, despite recent pressure from progressive activists to exclude them.http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/new-c ... le/2630974

Yeah, that'll do it. :roll:

What would bring more voters toward the Dems would be a populist statement not of "choice" but one of "privacy." A smart Democrat would fight for a bill which allows that what goes on in a doctor's office is a matter between you and your doctor. If you want an abortion you get one. Who else needs to know except you and your doctor. All that tumult about trimesters and parental informing gone with one bill which makes private what goes on between you and your doctor.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Aug 2017, 06:21

Well the abortion issue has never been about "life" or "choice" anyhow - and I don't think it's truly about privacy.

As the right argues it, it's ultimately about criminalizing abortion. If the left was disciplined about rejecting the right's framing of the issue and simply asked Americans whether they want to punish women and their doctors for it - the American people would line up fully with the left in great numbers.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Aug 2017, 11:48

Smashing piece in the Atlantic on what the fuck happened to the world...

Why did the grown-ups and designated drivers on the political left manage to remain basically in charge of their followers, while the reality-based right lost out to fantasy-prone true believers?

One reason, I think, is religion. The GOP is now quite explicitly Christian. The party is the American coalition of white Christians, papering over doctrinal and class differences—and now led, weirdly, by one of the least religious presidents ever. If more and more of a political party’s members hold more and more extreme and extravagantly supernatural beliefs, doesn’t it make sense that the party will be more and more open to make-believe in its politics?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... nd/534231/

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 11 Aug 2017, 12:59

Spot the Zionist.
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 11 Aug 2017, 13:50

Tactful Cactus wrote:Smashing piece in the Atlantic on what the fuck happened to the world...

Why did the grown-ups and designated drivers on the political left manage to remain basically in charge of their followers, while the reality-based right lost out to fantasy-prone true believers?

One reason, I think, is religion. The GOP is now quite explicitly Christian. The party is the American coalition of white Christians, papering over doctrinal and class differences—and now led, weirdly, by one of the least religious presidents ever. If more and more of a political party’s members hold more and more extreme and extravagantly supernatural beliefs, doesn’t it make sense that the party will be more and more open to make-believe in its politics?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... nd/534231/

The GOP party is not a coalition of white Christians. It is a coalition comprised in part of evangelical Christians (not all of whom are white) and white, conservative Christians.

With that said, I look forward to reading that article (hopefully someday soon). The Atlantic has been on a roll.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Aug 2017, 14:52

toomanyhatz wrote:
Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:the thing is, if North Korea "backs down" it can't look that way to North Koreans. don't you think? I mean, this guy's JOB is to be the pie in the sky and backing down doesn't really seem to be in his or his Dad's playbook.

Anybody got any friends in Guam? :cry:

I lived there for a few years when I was a child. Can't say I still know anyone there, but this hits kind of close to home for me.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Aug 2017, 15:03

Jimbo wrote:Charley, my beef now is with the Democrats who are ready to make war over Russia supposedly "hacking of our democracy" when that is one, unproven and two, tiny potatoes compared to the hyper-mafia goings on between Trump and those gangsters.

Who are these Democrats calling for war with Russia? You keep making that assertion, but I've never seen any evidence of it. It's just a scare trope that folks like Parry, Greenwald and Vanden Huevel use to sell their propaganda.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Aug 2017, 15:23

Still Baron wrote:The GOP party is not a coalition of white Christians. It is a coalition comprised in part of evangelical Christians (not all of whom are white) and white, conservative Christians.

So black & white but mostly white Christians

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 11 Aug 2017, 15:43

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Still Baron wrote:The GOP party is not a coalition of white Christians. It is a coalition comprised in part of evangelical Christians (not all of whom are white) and white, conservative Christians.

And Hispanic. My main objection is the suggestion that all American Christians are Republicans.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Aug 2017, 16:06

Jimbo wrote: I am more than ever convinced by the evidences therein that Trump is a crook. I have been saying all along that in his "deals" where we'll find criminality.

Including when you were applauding his election triumph?
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Aug 2017, 16:08

Still Baron wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:

And Hispanic. My main objection is the suggestion that all American Christians are Republicans.

Latino Republicans are nearly as baffling as black Republicans, but they're out there.
Gay Republicans, too...wtf is that all about?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 11 Aug 2017, 16:25

Democracy, what is it good for?
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Aug 2017, 16:30

Just for the record - a GREAT majority of the Christians I know are not Trump fans. And they are split pretty close to 50/50 between politically liberal and conservative.

I realize I live in a liberal hotbed state, but I'm in a fairly moderate part of it.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Aug 2017, 16:31

Count Machuki wrote:Gay Republicans, too...wtf is that all about?

They care more about economic issues than social issues, evidently.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Aug 2017, 16:31

Count Machuki wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:

Latino Republicans are nearly as baffling as black Republicans, but they're out there.
Gay Republicans, too...wtf is that all about?

The latino thing doesn't surprise me. I'd maybe draw parallels with immigrants to the Uk from the Indian subcontinent: hard working, family orientated, religious, traditionalist etc. I would say they are naturally conservative leaning in some ways.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Aug 2017, 16:35

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Charley, my beef now is with the Democrats who are ready to make war over Russia supposedly "hacking of our democracy" when that is one, unproven and two, tiny potatoes compared to the hyper-mafia goings on between Trump and those gangsters.

Who are these Democrats calling for war with Russia? You keep making that assertion, but I've never seen any evidence of it. It's just a scare trope that folks like Parry, Greenwald and Vanden Huevel use to sell their propaganda.

Point taken. I can't give you a name of a Dem posing with a upraised sword saying, "This means war!" I can say the Dems are risking war by battering Russia with this stupid, absurd and unproved allegation that the Russian government is somehow tampering with our already helter-skelter, crazily gerrymandered, intrinsically unfair, lumbering and hackable election process by doing what. And the hypocrisy is staggering when the US has flagrantly fucked with many other countries' elections, even Russia's! And even if … what could they do that's worse than a homegrown Ohio Republican state attorney general? At the same time Dems and Republicans have imposed economic sanctions on Russia which is tantamount to war, at least the Japanese thought so right up until Pearl Harbor. Not to mention all the US's broken missile treaties and the buildup of US/NATO troops on their borders. War? Not yet stated but deeds sometimes do speak louder.

That there is a mafia and massive criminality going between Russia and Trump, and who knows who else, is due in part to the Dems (forget the Republicans) not cracking down on Wall Street and the banks like I think a Bernie Sanders might have instituted. To her credit Hillary did ask them to cut out it but then accepted big money for speeches may have dampened her words. And Hillary and Bill gave paid speeches and did deals with the same criminals as Trump, no?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Aug 2017, 16:36

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jimbo wrote: I am more than ever convinced by the evidences therein that Trump is a crook. I have been saying all along that in his "deals" where we'll find criminality.

Including when you were applauding his election triumph?

I haven't taken off my I LOVE TRUMP t-shirt since the election. :roll: