President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Jun 2019, 20:34

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:There’s an entirely realistic possibility that McConnell will scuttle an impeachment, either by not taking it up at all, or by not allowing meaningful hearings to occur.

Senate GOP honchos have said as much. Can't find the link, but there was a piece in New York Mag a week or so ago to that effect.

That's the plan, should proceedings get that far.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Jun 2019, 02:01

Snarfyguy wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:There’s an entirely realistic possibility that McConnell will scuttle an impeachment, either by not taking it up at all, or by not allowing meaningful hearings to occur.

Senate GOP honchos have said as much. Can't find the link, but there was a piece in New York Mag a week or so ago to that effect.

That’s bananas. Why wouldn’t he just hold the vote and not convict? To avoid the spectacle of someone laying out the charges on the Senate floor?
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Jun 2019, 04:46

Still Baron wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

That’s bananas. Why wouldn’t he just hold the vote and not convict? To avoid the spectacle of someone laying out the charges on the Senate floor?

I think you answered your own question. But it isn’t just the spectacle. They are trying desperately to keep Trump’s tax returns and other financial entanglements from being exposed. Thus far they’ve just refused to comply with subpoenas, but that strategy will be impossible to maintain in the context of impeachment hearings. So why would they let them happen if they hold the power to make sure they don’t?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Jun 2019, 05:24

The fuck you still fretting over impeachment? The election is only a matter of months away and Trump is going to lose. Of course if Trump runs against a milquetoast candidate, i.e., anyone Davey or Hatz likes, he could win again but with exciting choices like Gabbard, Sanders and Yang in the race - and some solid backing from the party - he'll lose.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Jun 2019, 13:45

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I think you answered your own question. But it isn’t just the spectacle. They are trying desperately to keep Trump’s tax returns and other financial entanglements from being exposed. Thus far they’ve just refused to comply with subpoenas, but that strategy will be impossible to maintain in the context of impeachment hearings. So why would they let them happen if they hold the power to make sure they don’t?

Yeah but all that will go down in the House. McConnell’s refusal to host a trial won’t stop it.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Jun 2019, 14:41

Still Baron wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I think you answered your own question. But it isn’t just the spectacle. They are trying desperately to keep Trump’s tax returns and other financial entanglements from being exposed. Thus far they’ve just refused to comply with subpoenas, but that strategy will be impossible to maintain in the context of impeachment hearings. So why would they let them happen if they hold the power to make sure they don’t?

Yeah but all that will go down in the House. McConnell’s refusal to host a trial won’t stop it.

Well... this is where you have a lot more knowledge than I. How long do you think Trump and his loyalists can run out the clock on defying the house’s demands for information? Thus far, the strategy has worked, and we can’t count on the courts forcing accountability given McConnell’s decade-long efforts to usurp the judiciary.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Jun 2019, 14:49

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Still Baron wrote:

Well... this is where you have a lot more knowledge than I. How long do you think Trump and his loyalists can run out the clock on defying the house’s demands for information? Thus far, the strategy has worked, and we can’t count on the courts forcing accountability given McConnell’s decade-long efforts to usurp the judiciary.

He’s going to lose most of those subpoena fights in court. I don’t know how long it’ll take. Could be wrapped up soonish, could drag out.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Jun 2019, 14:50

But if the House takes up impeachment, they are in a much more powerful position with respect to the subpoena power.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Jun 2019, 14:55

Are they in a better position in terms of House inquiries? This is where I get confused. Apparently the Senate has the sole right to conduct Impeachment trials. Does the House have latitude to hold Impeachment hearings on their own?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Jun 2019, 15:09

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Are they in a better position in terms of House inquiries? This is where I get confused. Apparently the Senate has the sole right to conduct Impeachment trials. Does the House have latitude to hold Impeachment hearings on their own?

The House institutes impeachment proceedings. They are the equivalent of a grand jury deciding whether to indict. In exercise of that power, their investigatory authority is at its zenith. This is why questions of whether something they want is relevant to their general oversight authority (which is implied by the constitution) are more muddled.

Their impeachment power, on the other hand, is unquestionable as it is specifically laid out in the constitution. So courts should (and would) defer to the exercise of that power. If they decide, after their investigations, to impeach, then it’s like a grand jury issuing an indictment to be tried in court. And so whatever the outcome in the Senate, the President (or whomever) has been impeached. That’s why it’s still appropriate to say Bill Clinton was impeached.

The impeachment is then tried in the Senate, which votes to convict or acquit. By the time it goes over to the Senate, all the evidence has been investigated and gathered. It’s just a matter of the House and the President presenting evidence and argument and the Senate (as a petit jury) taking its vote.

Compare Article I, Section 2, [5] with Article I, Section 3, [6].

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Jun 2019, 15:27

How does that work in terms of public inquiries? Can they hold them in the guise of evidence building?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Jun 2019, 15:37

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:How does that work in terms of public inquiries? Can they hold them in the guise of evidence building?

I would say an unqualified yes, but I’ll say that nothing dictates that they can’t. I think they can do it however they like.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Jun 2019, 15:47

I guess that’s the best argument in favor of impeachment. We’re not likely to see any meaningful oversight absent that context.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Jun 2019, 18:15

I found that article.

GOP senators say that if the House passes articles of impeachment against President Trump they will quickly quash them in the Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has broad authority to set the parameters of a trial.

While McConnell is required to act on articles of impeachment, which require 67 votes — or a two-thirds majority — to convict the president, he and his Republican colleagues have the power to set the rules and ensure the briefest of trials.

“I think it would be disposed of very quickly,” said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/05/ ... antly.html
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 04 Jun 2019, 18:22

Ah, excellent. That makes more sense than him just not holding a vote.

I’ve just ordered Charles Black’s Impeachment primer (which comes highly recommended). I’ll report back if I learn anything interesting.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 05 Jun 2019, 09:18

A warm British welcome for the 'Tangerine Wankmaggot' In Chief...

SOme of these are quite good. ;)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Jun 2019, 16:59

We got home quite late last night after dinner with friends and could hear music floating through the neighbourhood. I went to investigate because it sounded like a band. A house about three doors up round the bend were having an outside party with a skiffle band, so I took a beer and went and watched. There was a guy of about eighty, who I think had some cognitive problems, who started talking to me. He was the Dad of one of the guests. He started talking to me about politics and he voluntarily offered up though he was conservative and a lifelong Republican that he wouldn't give Trump the STEAM OFF HIS PISS and started doing impersonations of him trying to sign things "duh, can I read? How can I sign if I can't read?" He went on and on. It was a treat. This man had worked for BUSH for god sake and he was incandescent with rage about the current scenario.

Then everyone beat a Trump pinata to bits and the old guy whooped and cheered. :lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Jun 2019, 16:31

Excellent!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Jun 2019, 12:15

Count Machuki wrote:Excellent!

It really was.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Jun 2019, 16:44

Holy shit, how much worse is this going to get?!